External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

well my theory about leaving the 622 on all night did not work when I checked the ext dr this morning it was blank,so I tried about 3 or4 times to send a movie to it and it wouldn't ,but then I pulled it up again and now it shows my archive. it will also allow me to restore but not send anything to it. something weird did happen, the first movie I restored to the 622, I tried to send back to archive and it worked and I can play it from there. but it left the name and that hollow logo that looks like a old camera on the 622 list but it will not play and the pop up says you can't play a movie that is being transfered. I sent another movie back to the 622 and that went but now it shows up on both the 622 and the ext hd,--- and also plays from both:confused: I am still not able to send anything to the ext hd so I guess I will have to turn power on and off on the seagate to get it back to normal.

at this point I guess I'm officialy a beta tester
I forgot to add thet when I sent that movie to archive it did it without showing a progress bar
I went back to see if I could duplicate what I did earlier and I could.I selected a dvr archive movie and sent it back to the 622, but without playing it I then sent it back to the ext hd , now I have that same hollow logo to the left of another movie that I can't play on the 622 but I can from the ext hd. here's where it gets weird again, if i play the movie on the 622 just for a second or 2 I can then send it back to the ext hd and again I have a copy on each one. I was not able to delete it off the ext dr. I reset the ext dr and it is back to working right and I was able to go to the ext hd and delete the copy of one of the movies and it is still on the 622. this may be a way to make duplicate backup's ext hd's of the same movies I don't have another ext dr to check this out. the only problem is that I cannot delete those movies on my 622 with the hollow logo they still say they are transfering. I will try a reboot later.
maybe someone with 2 ext hd's might want to try this to see if possibly, I think I read on one of the threads that someone wanted to make a duplicate backup so that they could take it to another 622 or 722 and be able to play their movies from either one, this might work. if this would work you would never have to move your ext dr around you could just make duplicates, also you could make a backup of your archive for the truly paranoid. remember I did all this when the ext dr was not working right. read my qoute somehow I got the ext hd archive to show up when at first it did not.

I went back to see if I could duplicate what I did earlier and I could.I selected a dvr archive movie and sent it back to the 622, but without playing it I then sent it back to the ext hd , now I have that same hollow logo to the left of another movie that I can't play on the 622 but I can from the ext hd. here's where it gets weird again, if i play the movie on the 622 just for a second or 2 I can then send it back to the ext hd and again I have a copy on each one. I was not able to delete it off the ext dr. I reset the ext dr and it is back to working right and I was able to go to the ext hd and delete the copy of one of the movies and it is still on the 622. this may be a way to make duplicate backup's ext hd's of the same movies I don't have another ext dr to check this out. the only problem is that I cannot delete those movies on my 622 with the hollow logo they still say they are transfering. I will try a reboot later.
maybe someone with 2 ext hd's might want to try this to see if possibly, I think I read on one of the threads that someone wanted to make a duplicate backup so that they could take it to another 622 or 722 and be able to play their movies from either one, this might work. if this would work you would never have to move your ext dr around you could just make duplicates, also you could make a backup of your archive for the truly paranoid. remember I did all this when the ext dr was not working right. read my qoute somehow I got the ext hd archive to show up when at first it did not.
I rebooted and now everthing works like it supposed to, and those movies I had that said they were still transfering went away, also I still have duplcate 's that I can play from either the 622 or the ext hd. So this appears to be a benifit from this problem that were having with the seagate

Just run the utility. Don't use the wizard that wants to help you setup your drive for desktop use. cancel that and just find the section that lets you change the Sleep Interval.

OK but all the steps to do this seem to be in 6-7 threads. Some of us are not very computer literate. One of the threads had a site reference of 196 mb download. It mentions a PRO device. I cannot find the word PRO on my "Seagate Freeagent 500GB USB 2.0 ST305004FDA1E1-RK". Will the utility work for non-PRO units?

If It does. Will someone who knows what they are doing put together a procedure to follow for DUMMIES.

Sleep Problem:
It's interesting that the drive vendors are putting spin-down into the drive firmware. I'd rather this be under control of the OS.

Either way, hopefully dish can fix this on their side. I'd rather spin down a drive that's only going to be used for a few hours / week. I'd also like to see dish send the spin-down command to the external drive after an hour of inactivity.

OK but all the steps to do this seem to be in 6-7 threads. Some of us are not very computer literate. One of the threads had a site reference of 196 mb download. It mentions a PRO device. I cannot find the word PRO on my "Seagate Freeagent 500GB USB 2.0 ST305004FDA1E1-RK". Will the utility work for non-PRO units?

If It does. Will someone who knows what they are doing put together a procedure to follow for DUMMIES.
check out my earlier post #136 in this thread

I'm hoping that the only real problem with the sleep mode is a few retries while the drive wakes up. I could live with that.

I plan on using the drive for archive purposes anyway so it will be off unless I'm doing a batch archive or watching an archived program.

Are there known problems with turning the external drive off while it is connected to the 622? (While the external drive is idle, of course.)

I have a Seagate and I have just turned off the power and then turned it on again later when i need the drive. no problems at all with that.

Sounds like you are interrupting the move process and now there is an entry for the show in both places but one is corrupted on incomplete. Whenever it corrects, one copy is going to remove itself. Or, both copies may now be damaged. I wouldn't count on this giving you two copies until you can watch both completely through to see if they work.

Im happy to report that Im no longer having any issues with my Seagate. Turning off the sleep time seemed to be the solution.

It's a welcome temporary workaround. Dish and or Seagate need to address the problem so the drives can spin down when not in use. I think heat could be a real problem running these 24/7.

NightRyder

It's a welcome temporary workaround. Dish and or Seagate need to address the problem so the drives can spin down when not in use. I think heat could be a real problem running these 24/7.

NightRyder

That's why the Seagate marketing guy was saying to buy a drive that was designed to take the heat.

There are ways to keep your drive cooler including a good quality enclosure. I have run my drive nonstop since i turned it on and it is only warm to the touch, nowhere near hot.

I'm sure we are in for several patches/updates in the future.

check out my earlier post #136 in this thread

Thanks!! After reading that I got sick. I have 2 Seagates. The procedure tells you to load the sw 196mb(20plus minutes) to each hard drive. to have a zip file, then a second file for the unzipped version, then a third file for the exe program. Then to create a fourth file on the c drive. Why does the sw have to be on the external drive? It will just get erased when the 622 reformats it. Why can't it be done once and stored on the c drive.

Sounds like you are interrupting the move process and now there is an entry for the show in both places but one is corrupted on incomplete. Whenever it corrects, one copy is going to remove itself. Or, both copies may now be damaged. I wouldn't count on this giving you two copies until you can watch both completely through to see if they work.
I already verified that they both exist by watching each and also deleted one off the 622 and played the dup from ext dr to make sure it was there with no connection back to the original and vice versa, after I rebooted, this really works but it can only be done when the ext dr is in the sleep mode and not recognized by the 622 and you try a few times to send something to the ext hd when it does not have your movies listed but does show your hd space being used, after a few tries my archive showed up but I still could not send from my 622" so you have archive first--- restore back to the 622--- , play the movie for a couple of seconds---- stop and send back." I was able to duplicate this process 5 times exactly the same way. after I rebooted I still have the duplicates also, I think may be a blessing in disguise for some people

That's why the Seagate marketing guy was saying to buy a drive that was designed to take the heat.

There are ways to keep your drive cooler including a good quality enclosure. I have run my drive nonstop since i turned it on and it is only warm to the touch, nowhere near hot.

I'm sure we are in for several patches/updates in the future.

I'm going to keep an eye on mine today and see how it does. I set the sleep interval to 5 hrs.

Also....

Right now I have an extra drive so I think I'm going to play around with Ghost and see if it works as a possible backup strategy.

NightRyder

I think may be a blessing in disguise for some people

Maybe...

I'm not so comfortable with a drive that forgets what is supposed to be there and what is not. Sounds like a boon that could suddenly go bust and you lose all your shows.

Keep us informed!

I just ran two installs. The first from the exe that came in the zip file, and pointed it to my Windows D Drive. Then from there I ran the freeagent.exe program and installed in the computer. The program runs when I connect the freeagent to the usb port on my computer now.

Thanks!! After reading that I got sick. I have 2 Seagates. The procedure tells you to load the sw 196mb(20plus minutes) to each hard drive. to have a zip file, then a second file for the unzipped version, then a third file for the exe program. Then to create a fourth file on the c drive. Why does the sw have to be on the external drive? It will just get erased when the 622 reformats it. Why can't it be done once and stored on the c drive.

You don't have to put the S/W on the external! After unzipping run the setup, extract it to your local drive, go to the folder you extracted to and execute the installation program, abort the install when it gets to the "backup software" part. At that point you will have a desktop icon. Plug the drive in, let Windows recognize it, double click on the icon, let the software find the drive, select Utilities and set the Sleep Interval to the desired level, select Apply and that's it.

NightRyder

Maybe...

I'm not so comfortable with a drive that forgets what is supposed to be there and what is not. Sounds like a boon that could suddenly go bust and you lose all your shows.

Keep us informed!
I will, but the the originals and dups are taking up the same amount of space on each drive so they are there with no other relationship to each other plus I rebooted 2 times and everthing still in place so we'll see. I'd like to see someone also try this to verify, maybe just with a movie or two you don't care about.

You don't have to put the S/W on the external! After unzipping run the setup, extract it to your local drive, go to the folder you extracted to and execute the installation program, abort the install when it gets to the "backup software" part. At that point you will have a desktop icon. Plug the drive in, let Windows recognize it, double click on the icon, let the software find the drive, select Utilities and set the Sleep Interval to the desired level, select Apply and that's it.

NightRyder

Thanks!! I am giving E* a few days to fix the problem. I really don't need the EHD until the fall prime time when we start recording 8-10 HD programs a day. If it is not fixed in a week or so , I will do the reset.

Multiple Hoppers and timers

OTA module troubles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts