External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

NightRyder

1978 Y88 T/A 6.6 4 spd 1978-2020 RIP
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
NW Oregon
I tried following these instruction but the program will just not install, right about before it finishes instalatio I get this message: " An error was encountered while configuring Ceedo, a log has been created at this location: C:\log/freeagent.log And the log says this: "C:\Users\Jose y Mary\AppData\Local\Temp\{23B7EF41-2118-4168-A7A0-2CA003B61FAC}\{F9B94010-53FC-42BF-B69B-F80553DBF98D}\setceedoperms.bat" started Wed 09/05/2007 0:30:26.73
Params : -d C: -l C:\Users\JOSEYM~1\AppData\Local\Temp\freeagent.log -s

ERROR:: Permissions will not be changed on the C drive
Does anyboody have any idea on what this means or how to fix it? I really want to turn off sleep mode on my seagate drive to see if it works that way.
Thanks!
Jose

Jose: Does the account your trying to install under have Administrator privileges? Also what OS are you using?

NightRyder

perUano

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 7, 2003
Massachusetts
Nightryder,
Yes I'm using my administrator acct, the OS is Windows Vista Home Premium.
The program did however change the name on my C drive :confused:

Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Jose

NightRyder

Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
NW Oregon
Nightryder,
Yes I'm using my administrator acct, the OS is Windows Vista Home Premium.
The program did however change the name on my C drive :confused:

Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Jose

Jose: Try temporarily disabling UAC (user account control) and any third party security or virus software you may have running. The program installed on XP Multimedia without problems.

Members:
Has anyone else successfully installed the Seagate software on Vista?

NightRyder

perUano

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 7, 2003
Massachusetts
Nightryder,
Thanks, that worked! After I disabled UAC the program did install, I disabled the sleep interval and now everything works perfectly! (at least for now)
Thanks a lot for your help~ :D
Jose

CJ5

Sep 5, 2007
Hello all. New here -- just joined yeterday.

Just read this entire thread. Whew...I'm exhausted. Lots of good info.

I have a couple questions that I did not see answered yet...

I currently have a VIP622 and already have the EHD feature activated with some content successfully archived to my 500GB drive. I plan to upgrade to a VIP722 soon -- I really like the extra storage and I have a strong afinity to black A/V components.

1. Will the EHD capability transfer to the new 722 receiver or will I have to again pay the $40? (In other words, is the EHD feature account based or receiver based?)
2. Will the content archived by the 622 on the EHD be playable by the new 722 receiver?

Thanks in advance for any/all responses.

~CJ5

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Hello all. New here -- just joined yeterday.

Just read this entire thread. Whew...I'm exhausted. Lots of good info.

I have a couple questions that I did not see answered yet...

I currently have a VIP622 and already have the EHD feature activated with some content successfully archived to my 500GB drive. I plan to upgrade to a VIP722 soon -- I really like the extra storage and I have a strong afinity to black A/V components.

1. Will the EHD capability transfer to the new 722 receiver or will I have to again pay the $40? (In other words, is the EHD feature account based or receiver based?)
2. Will the content archived by the 622 on the EHD be playable by the new 722 receiver?

~CJ5
Yes it will play on the new one, no additional charge. One fee per account, not receivers.

adavis720

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 15, 2007

~CJ5

If I understand correctly:

1 - No, the $40 is per account.

2 - Yes, but for now the ability to move the EHD to a different receiver is limited to 3 moves then the content on the drive is permanently married to the third receiver. If you want to use the EHD on a different box it will need to re-formated. I think unlimited receivers per EHD is going to be addressed in the future.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Dirtydan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 5, 2004
Susanville,Ca.
Your covered for both DVRs with the one time charge, at this time you can move the EHD between the two DVRs, but there is still some question as to how many times you can move the EHD, Dish states that til software is changed you can only move 3 times, but someone here on this forum stated that he called tech support and was told that he could move EHD as many times as he wanted, he said the only limitation was that only a total of 3 DVRs could be used. So, you can see that it is all kinda up in the wind. I have move mine 2 times and noticed that there is a log in the Diagnosis counters that says I have moved it 2 times.

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
Yes, I moved half of what I wanted moved 622->722, then the other half use part of a smallish 200x10^9B disk. Some would count this as 4 DVRs. So 3 DIFFERENT DVRs seems more likely.
-Ken

FWIW, "750GB" (G=10^9) by WD comes to 697GB (G=2^30) by Dish--my new archive.

Dirtydan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 5, 2004
Susanville,Ca.
Yes, I moved half of what I wanted moved 622->722, then the other half use part of a smallish 200x10^9B disk. Some would count this as 4 DVRs. So 3 DIFFERENT DVRs seems more likely.
-Ken

FWIW, "750GB" (G=10^9) by WD comes to 697GB (G=2^30) by Dish--my new archive.

I'm sure that the amount of EHDs you can use is not limited, only the amount of DVRs, changing EHDs does not count in the 3 times rule.

adidadi

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 3, 2005
Still have problems with stop when viewing from ehd. Some programs do not back out into the menu once I hit stop. I have to fast forward 300 speed to the end and then it stops and goes to menu with done, resume, etc...
Also when I pause, pressing pause or play will not play the file. I have to rewind for a second and then hit play and it works.

SKrueger

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
I come across a problem related to the external HDD software, but that has nothing to do with the drive.

Went to play the Jouneyman pilot from Dish's VOD downloads. WHen I attempted to play the episode I got an error message that stated something to the effect that I could not play the episode while transfer to/from the USB device was in progress (Sorry I don't remember the exact message and I'm not home now to get it). Thing is the 622 I was attempting to play this episode on is not even the 622 that has the HDD attached. Anyone else seen a problem like this. Both 622's have 441 software.

On another note, I've got a Seagate 500G Freeagent drive and have not experienced any of the problems other users are reporting related to the sleep function of the drive.

MNHTUG

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
My 622 no longer recognizes my Seagate FreeAgent. How do I reset my 622 and/or drive so they see each other again? I've got 250gb of movies on the drive so formatting the drive is not an option I want to entertain. Help!

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
My 622 no longer recognizes my Seagate FreeAgent. How do I reset my 622 and/or drive so they see each other again? I've got 250gb of movies on the drive so formatting the drive is not an option I want to entertain. Help!
Double check that your USB connections are secure. If they are, try a hard re-boot (unplug).

NightRyder

Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
NW Oregon

Try this:

Unplug the FreeAgent Drive both power and USB. Reboot the 622. Once the 622 is back up plug power and USB back into the drive.

NightRyder

primetimeguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 4, 2006
St. Paul, MN
Went to play the Jouneyman pilot from Dish's VOD downloads. WHen I attempted to play the episode I got an error message that stated something to the effect that I could not play the episode while transfer to/from the USB device was in progress (Sorry I don't remember the exact message and I'm not home now to get it). Thing is the 622 I was attempting to play this episode on is not even the 622 that has the HDD attached. Anyone else seen a problem like this. Both 622's have 441 software.

I get the same error trying to watch anything under TV Entertainment. I just got 4.43 today so I'm not sure if it should up today or has always been a problem. I normally never look at TV Entertainment.

SKrueger

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Now that I'm home the exact message is:

Events that are in the process of transferring through the USB port are not available for playback.

With the error #896

This is happening on both my 622's one is now ver 443 software the other is still 441. It only happens when I attempt to play the Journeyman-Pilot VOD, but it happens on both machines. Maybe a problem with the VOD file rather then the software??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)