External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

Yeah, my WD MyBook Essentials 750GB worked just fine for a few months and then one day, out of nowhere, I could see all the recordings but could neither watch them nor restore them. Bye bye.

Time will tell if they have fixed the problem with this new drive. At least, with its being "certified" for Dish DVR use, you can get a refund or replacement if it goes south.

.....G

Same problem here, too. Exactly.

A new 866 experience!

After experiencing the 866 disaster with a Seagate FreeAgent 500GB and getting essentially nowhere (need to wait for them to come up with a fix) I went out and got another one. I've got about 150GB worth of new programs on it so far. Tonight, after watching one, I did a bit of surfing the guide then was going to watch another stored program on the EHD and got the 866 - I had not powered anything off since watching the prior program. While fumbling around to call DISH the message went away and when I tried to access the EHD (expecting to see the 866 again) it was okay. This is very different from the previous 866 with the original drive which was solid.

I received the 866 error on my two external drives yesterday. As it turns out, I think I have a faulty 622 as it no longer is picking up any satellites, showed the exact same stations on my 4 favorites list right before it went into the "acquiring satellite" mode, and says that there were 7 million disconnects during the system info diagnostics between two unfathomable date ranges. My 942 is picking up the satellites fine, and a tech came out two weeks ago to realign the dishes and check the cables. Hopefully, the EHDs will come back after my 622 is replaced.

This exact symptom is now happening to me. I cannot play or retrieve anything from my EHD (a Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750). I ran the diagnostic utility from Windows and everything passed, so this appears to be a Dish 622 bug.

Has anyone found a solution for this? I'm guessing we'll just have to wait for a firmware update from Dish.
If you can play something for a few minutes and then it locks up, see post 676.

I bought a versa ext HD case which takes EIDE or SATA drives and it even has a fan in it

Now what good and low priced HD would someone recommend ?

I usually go for the WD drives but normally it's for a high end PC and not really just mass storage.

Any suggestions for what to stick in this 'case' ?

and if anyone knows of versa cases being 'crap' yell, lol

I bought a versa ext HD case which takes EIDE or SATA drives and it even has a fan in it

Now what good and low priced HD would someone recommend ?

I usually go for the WD drives but normally it's for a high end PC and not really just mass storage.

Any suggestions for what to stick in this 'case' ?

and if anyone knows of versa cases being 'crap' yell, lol
I would advise against thinking of an EHD as just mass storage. The drive gets a real work out. If there ever was a time not to be cheap, it's this one. Get a WD AAKS series drive.

Last edited:
yea I guess that's very true so I will go and get HDs latest greatest drive but just not a 10,000 rpm raptor, lol

My current backup spins down when idle and has no fan. It's had no issues but I went and deleted a lot of stuff from it recently which rather defeats the purpose

We can add up to three drives right ? What happens if you fill up the three, that's it ? I guess I need to go reread the thread on the EHD as I know that's been covered

Thanks
Tiger

My MyBook 500 GB drive will play a few minutes of a stored event then it will stop like the event is over. From what I can tell I have to get a new 622. Any other fixes?

Oh yes that was it and it's removed too, nice!

Thanks for clearing that up and saving me a ton of reading or searching :)

Off to find me a 'sale' somewhere on the net :)

I have three of the WD 7200 rpm SATA 3.0 16 mb cache HDs in my custom computer, two 350s and a 500 so I will probably get another one of those but bigger :)

Tiger

I know this is answered here somewhere but this is a massive thread

I am going to take my 500 gig drive out of my PC once I dump it's contents to a 1 terabyte drive
Then slide the 500 into a external case so I can use it with the 622 as it's current EHD is about full

Now before I remove it from the PC do I delete the PC files or format or just let the DISh receiver do it ?

It's packed and my first EHD I connected was brand new and never used with a PC

Sooooooo I don't want to mess up, suggestions or alerts for me?

I know this is answered here somewhere but this is a massive thread

I am going to take my 500 gig drive out of my PC once I dump it's contents to a 1 terabyte drive
Then slide the 500 into a external case so I can use it with the 622 as it's current EHD is about full

Now before I remove it from the PC do I delete the PC files or format or just let the DISh receiver do it ?

It's packed and my first EHD I connected was brand new and never used with a PC

Sooooooo I don't want to mess up, suggestions or alerts for me?

Might as well wipe it clean while still in PC.

I had the 866 error on my Seagate Freeagent drive tonight (hooked up to a 622)and... drum roll... the CSR resolved it! We bash on them enough so I'll give credit where it is due. Two step solution: 1) Front panel reset *with the drive unplugged* and a rehit from Dish (which I think happened first). And then my hard drive was back and fully functional.

A few more clues: this happened the first time after I got 5.11 of the software.

Second, here's something I haven't seen before: in my list of recorded programs there's now a folder called "USB Storage" (at the top, interestingly, not in alpha order). This appears to just be a shortcut to the list of files that are stored on my external drive. This is probably old news, but I just noticed it.

Dish still needs to make the Seagate FreeAgent drives work better - it's such a popular drive that they need to get it to work; no excuse for their software not knowing the sleep/wake state (or being able to affect it) of the drive.

Hope this helps someone else who ends up with the dreaded 866.

...<snip>...here's something I haven't seen before: in my list of recorded programs there's now a folder called "USB Storage" (at the top, interestingly, not in alpha order). This appears to just be a shortcut to the list of files that are stored on my external drive. This is probably old news, but I just noticed it...<snip>
That's a feature of the L510 and L511 (current) software for the 622/722. I like it. More intuitive for most users. To see it you have to have "Group" (folders) turned on and the EHD plugged in.

.....G

I am getting an error 853 with my new EHD case and HD
I don't know if it's the case, Rosewell or the WD HD
I put my old Elements EHD back in and can't make it mess up but
the new setup 'disconnects' and you have to reboot the receiver to get it to 'see' the EHD after that

If it's the case I will get one of those themaltakes I saw mentioned here but IS it actually the 640 gig WD HD

Any guess ?

Last edited:
I can't believe - before the feature come, we have a poll - will you pay for it and how much ?
Many pro did outline: we will have service for our money. Eah, sure. You got it ! :(
Directv giving similar concept for free and it's working much better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts