External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

I was having the same trouble with the 1 tb my book drive. I removed the partitions through windows and created a 1 tb partition without formating and the 722 found it and formated it .

Just hooked this guy up and formatting went well. Now have a 500gb WD for HD movie storage and 1TB WD for tv shows :D

08202009004.jpg

Just hooked this guy up and formatting went well. Now have a 500gb WD for HD movie storage and 1TB WD for tv shows :D

08202009004.jpg

That's the same one I tried to hookup and was unsuccessful. Did you have to reformat the drive? I gave up and ordered the 750G WD My Book. Remember, I have the Mac problem and had to download 2 applications to be able to reformat the drives as they come from the package.

Lyle

Nah, I just plugged in the power, moved the USB cable from the 500gb to the new one. The rcvr then notified me I had unplugged the 500gb drive, then noticed one had been plugged in, then asked me to format. It then restarted and all has been fine since then. I just move the USB cable back and forth depending on what I want to archive/watch.

Well that's got me baffled. If the ordered 750 works, I will stay with that one for a while. I know I will need another drive before long, and will try your instructions. I wonder if the problem is with the reciever? I have an older 722 that I formatted the original 750G drive, and when I put that drive on the newer 722 there was no problem. I didn't plug the 1TB drive into the older one first. Maybe that could be the problem? That one was the one that E* originally pinged or something to allow for EHD's. What do you think?

Not sure, it is very strange. The 722k I have has different SW than the normal 722, which could be part of it. The menus basically look the same, but it is diff SW.

Well that's got me baffled. If the ordered 750 works, I will stay with that one for a while. I know I will need another drive before long, and will try your instructions. I wonder if the problem is with the reciever? I have an older 722 that I formatted the original 750G drive, and when I put that drive on the newer 722 there was no problem. I didn't plug the 1TB drive into the older one first. Maybe that could be the problem? That one was the one that E* originally pinged or something to allow for EHD's. What do you think?
Try different cable or different port (front or back).

One more for the road:

08202009005.jpg

Same here. Tried the Linux fix but still no go. I can transfer new programs but can not see any of the existing ones. I have a 500gb drive that was almost full! If the Linux trick doesn't work am I just screwed?

Everything was working fine until I got the L622 "Upgrade"!!:mad:

Same here. Tried the Linux fix but still no go. I can transfer new programs but can not see any of the existing ones. I have a 500gb drive that was almost full! If the Linux trick doesn't work am I just screwed?

Everything was working fine until I got the L622 "Upgrade"!!:mad:

What Linux fix did you try ?
Did you run the e2fsck ?
On the Linuix machine can you see the folders with the stored events ?

I once had a corrupt event that cause problems loading the program list.

So, I grabbed another drive, let the 622 format it, transferred 1 event to the new drive (so there would be someting there), then...

Plugged the bad and new drives into a Linux machine & copied the program folders from one to the other. It takes some trial and error. Once I copied the bad folder, the new drive stopped working. I then went back to the Linux machine and deleted the bad folder. The drive was then fine.

The permissions are a pain. You need to be a "super user" to copy the files. I'm not a linux expert, someone can fill in the blanks (it's been awhile). But, I launched a file browser as a super user and used that to copy the folders.

Just for information. I got my 750G WD My Book drive yesterday. Plugged it in and it worked like it was suppose to. Hurraah!
I will just have to be happy with this for a while. Can't just go buy any drive I want to when the spirit tells me, at least that's what I've been told.
Thanks for the responses and good luck to all of us that have problems from time to time.

Lyle

What Linux fix did you try ?
Did you run the e2fsck ?
On the Linuix machine can you see the folders with the stored events ?

I once had a corrupt event that cause problems loading the program list.

So, I grabbed another drive, let the 622 format it, transferred 1 event to the new drive (so there would be someting there), then...

Plugged the bad and new drives into a Linux machine & copied the program folders from one to the other. It takes some trial and error. Once I copied the bad folder, the new drive stopped working. I then went back to the Linux machine and deleted the bad folder. The drive was then fine.

The permissions are a pain. You need to be a "super user" to copy the files. I'm not a linux expert, someone can fill in the blanks (it's been awhile). But, I launched a file browser as a super user and used that to copy the folders.

Yes I ran e2fsck. It didn't find a problem with the super blocks but when I ran the other test using the previously found super block numbers it did correct some apparent errors. It still didn't work on my 722 however.

I don't remember seeing any folders on the Linux machine but being a Linux newb myself I may not have noticed and or looked. I'll plug it in again and see.

I need to order another external HD and try your other suggestion. Sounds like a lot of hoop jumping but I do have a quite a few movies that I would like to recover so hoop jumping I will go! :)

Thanks. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I recently added a Seagate Showcase 1TB external drive to my system. I have the Seagate drive 'switched' to turn on/off with my AVR. But now when I watch TV, I get the following message on initial system powerup:

Attention (852)
You have connected a multimedia device to the USB port. Would you like to view and manage its contents at this time?

Yes No Help

Is there a way to set my 622 to not display this message each time I powerup?

I recently added a Seagate Showcase 1TB external drive to my system. I have the Seagate drive 'switched' to turn on/off with my AVR. But now when I watch TV, I get the following message on initial system powerup:

Attention (852)
You have connected a multimedia device to the USB port. Would you like to view and manage its contents at this time?

Yes No Help

Is there a way to set my 622 to not display this message each time I powerup?
No.

I just got a Western Digital 500gb and when I try to access it with my 722k, it will periodically freeze up. The program will play but no remote buttons or front panel buttons will work. My software version is L655.

1 TB Seagate Problems

I recently added a 1 TB Seagate to my 622 and I added a bunch of movies and works great...until the next day when it suddenly states there's a problem and I have to unplug and plug it back in for it to work. I don't lose any movies, but it's pretty annoying to have power down and up everyday. Any suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)