Fall Season: any new shows worth watching?

Detroit 1-8-7 was a fun cop show and I loved the approach to the tired concept, but I hate it when cop shows have plot holes large enough to drive a truck through. The ending of this episode was totally unnecessary. Plus the characters in this series fit every cliché in the book. The cop days from retirement, the young rookie on his first day, the grizzled veteran who hates rookies, the loner veteran who can't keep a partner. Straight out of a paint by numbers cop show line-up. "And remember,,,,be careful out there."

Under Covers
- JJ Abrams need to have a cap on his word count. Sort of fun, but all the bickering made me want to shoot my TV set! I want to see this develop a little. This means I want to see more episodes.

The Event - waiting to record week two so I can see both week one and two as a two hour movie. I will make up my mind then.

Lonestar: Eeesch.... Paper thin characters with a pretty unlikeable lead and a very unlikable antagonist. I'll give it one more week.

Hawaii 5-0 (or is that Hawai'i 5-0): Too many things going on at 10pm last Monday... catching the rerun later this week. I didn't really like the original except for the theme & intro. (Of course I was only in grade school and the show was dubbed into Spanish.) But Jack Lord was THE MAN.

Outlaw: Don't let legal procedure and what can really happen in real life get in the way of a good story. Unfortunately this wasn't really a very good story. Acting was TERRIBLE. Good concept, but it will devolve into another "rogue lawyer going the extra mile for his falsely accused client. Perry Mason anyone?

Chase: Another super-cop show, this time starring a woman. Anyone seen Angie Dickenson lately? Bad/tired story, mediocre characters, mediocre story, bad police procedure. Bad.

The Defenders: watching it now. (EDIT) ---- It was a lot of fun. A typical courtroom drama, but it held my attention and was fairly well written.

The Whole Truth
: (Edit). Meh... I had a problem with the forced sexual tension between the two main characters. However it was okay. And then you get to know what really happened at the end. Not sure I like the reveal. I guess I am too used to the Law & Order approach.

Overall a very, very disappointing new season.

Detroit 1-8-7 - Ditto the above statements...however, there is some potential for this show remaining on my timer queue if the writers and producers tighten-up this show...and my being a native Detroit (but this factor will only last so long)

Under Covers
- didn't watch and no desire to since I have limited time in the schedule.

The Event - I just watched the first 10-minutes of the pilot since this show has solid ratings - NBC no less. Anyway, I really likek what I saw and will try to watch it on Saturday - promising.

Lonestar - I smelled this rotting fish and didn't waste my time.

Hawaii 5-0 - Perhaps they should call it Hawaii 5.0 - anyway, it was OK...but it only hold my interest for a few weeks if the show doesn't work out the bugs (made comments about this show elsewhere). This show actually surpassed my expectations...which were pretty low. Anyway, it has some potential.

Outlaw: Agreed with Tony's comments.

Chase: Ditto Tony's comments.

The Defenders: I had low expectation so I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a stinkfest and, to be honest, I actually enjoyed certain parts. It's worth another viewing next week...and I'll be keeping my eyes open.

The Whole Truth
: On paper this looks like a promising show. I'm 10-minutes into it right now...

Overall better than I expected, but my expectations were very, very low this season. Offhand, I think The Event is going to be winner and will be kept in my queue. I'll be surprised if I keep a 2nd show recording the full season...but we'll see. Personally, I'm just happy many of my favorite veteran show have returned this week.

Watched 5-O ad enjoyed it for what it was. I was surprised at The Whole Truth, watched it just to see what it was like and enjoyed it.

i love bill shatner and his portrayl of denny crane on boston legal was among the best. but his new character seems very much like his last one...without the legaleeze, sharp writing and directing and chemistry with james spader and candice bergen.

i love bill shatner and his portrayl of denny crane on boston legal was among the best. but his new character seems very much like his last one...without the legaleeze, sharp writing and directing and chemistry with james spader and candice bergen.

Agreed, BL was a classic. Glad I have the first three seasons on DVD.
DENNY CRANE!!!

I agree riff. I miss Numb3rs so bad!
I wish they could pull the team back together or, at least, bring aboard a new team in a new city - Agent Sinclair and Larry should have led the new Numb3rs iteration.

Rob Morrow - The Whole Truth
David Krumholtz - Developing a new series?
Judd Hirsch - Guest star on The Whole Truth pilot
Navi Rawat - Saw her guest on a few episodes of Burn Notice this summer

I liked Hawaii 5-0 first episode. Havent been able to watch the one from Monday. As for L&O Los Angeles I will give it a shot. I like SVU but never really got into Criminal Intent or the original L&O.

The Defenders was good.

Fox has officially canceled Lonestar. So now my new timers for the year are whittled to just The Event and No Ordinary Family, and I'll probably delete No Ordinary Family if episode 2 is as bad as the first one.

So far a crappy season for new shows. At least there are plenty of good returning shows.

I liked Hawaii 5-0 first episode. Havent been able to watch the one from Monday. As for L&O Los Angeles I will give it a shot. I like SVU but never really got into Criminal Intent or the original L&O.

The Defenders was good.

I guess there´s a L&O franchise for every taste. ;)

For me it was the original on my top list, then CI, then SVU (in chrono order) I admit that being a L&O fan, I had the best intent with the short lived Trial by Jury franchise, now obviously I´m eagerly looking forward into L&O LA.

Fox has officially canceled Lonestar. So now my new timers for the year are whittled to just The Event and No Ordinary Family, and I'll probably delete No Ordinary Family if episode 2 is as bad as the first one.

So far a crappy season for new shows. At least there are plenty of good returning shows.

Already??? After 2 episodes? How can they tell anything from that? These people are idiots!

disclaimer - I have not watched the show, but it wouldn't be the first time a new show wasn't even given a chance for viewers to find it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)