Fees increasing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just want to make sure

With the proposed fee increases coming up, I want to make sure I am seeing this right. I have a 2H/2J setup. I should have a $11 increase. I think I can do without the Joeys. I have had the Hoppers and Joeys for one year now. So I can send the Joeys back for free, thus saving $3. As long as I keep the hoppers I have no contract buyout fees?

Sometimes when I reply I do not get to read the entire thread before replying so that is why it might seem like "invisible ink" as mentioned earlier. There is so much to read and I have to post to get my thoughts out there before I forget what I was going to say.

Not being able to mix Hopper and 211 on an account (unless you have a special circumstance like an RV or something) makes it to where you have to get a second Hopper if you do not want to share tuners. This makes it more expensive to the customer.

Many people still have SD television on their house or their secondary televisions in the household do not need HD as they are smaller or do not get watched much. It is not worth the additional hopper fees vs. the VIP series (522/722). You still get one HD television and then the SD feed as well.

As I seen earlier though, most probably just have one Hopper and would only see the $4 increase. Those in the past probably only seen a $7 increase with the dual tuner receivers as they most likely only had two or three rooms. This increase of $4 is following a $5 increase that was seen not long ago. After these increases then people's promotions run out followed by yet another increase or two, that will cause subscribers to churn in droves. The $7 premium I mentioned earlier is the additional amount they are charging for the Hopper vs the 722 ($7 vs $14) plus losing the TV2 on the 722 vs only one television on the Hopper. It is a $14 premium if you are wanting a second television and not caring whether it is in HD or not particularly for the smaller televisions.

Look at the fees we are paying now vs. what things cost 10-15 years ago. My goodness, the fees alone today are as much or more than what we paid for the package alone back then. Think of the increased profits they are making just off of the hardware fees. They are making just as much if not more on hardware fees than on the programming itself especially for what they were getting years ago. They are transitioning their profits from programming to hardware. Dish wants to transition this to the cell phone sector seeing how high people's cell phone bills get. He wants in on that. He wants to do triple play.

...Look at the fees we are paying now vs. what things cost 10-15 years ago. My goodness, the fees alone today are as much or more than what we paid for the package alone back then. Think of the increased profits they are making just off of the hardware fees. They are making just as much if not more on hardware fees than on the programming itself especially for what they were getting years ago. They are transitioning their profits from programming to hardware. Dish wants to transition this to the cell phone sector seeing how high people's cell phone bills get. He wants in on that. He wants to do triple play.

I don't think you can really compare what cost were 10-15 years ago vs now. Everything from a loaf of bread to a package of Kool-Aid has increased in price from 10-15 years ago. What the problem is Dish hit us with a price increase in February, and now 2 months later, is hitting us with another increase. So much for the 2 year price freeze we had. Dish is doing what they can to make up for that freeze.

Ghpr13

Sometimes when I reply I do not get to read the entire thread before replying so that is why it might seem like "invisible ink" as mentioned earlier.
No problem at all, I was just throwing out a little levity while agreeing with you. :)

With the proposed fee increases coming up, I want to make sure I am seeing this right. I have a 2H/2J setup. I should have a $11 increase. I think I can do without the Joeys. I have had the Hoppers and Joeys for one year now. So I can send the Joeys back for free, thus saving $3. As long as I keep the hoppers I have no contract buyout fees?

Correct.

I emailed ceo2dishnetwork.com last Friday and their main concern was that it was not officially announced yet so I should wait to get screwed, just relax and take it.

No, the $4 increase on the DVR fee and Hopper monthly fees (after the 1st Hopper) will go up to $14 is how I read it. Will the ViP DVR fee remain at $7?

Seeing that I only have one Hopper according to what you just said i'll only see an increase on the whole house dvr fee an increse of $4, but not on the rental of my lone Hopper. Is that correct?

I predict that next year rates will increase...

There is simply no way around it. No matter how much everyone complains rates will rise in one way or another. Yes, this is a sneaky below the belt increase, but guess what, there will be another rate increase. Inflation happens, everyone raises rates year after year. I would not be surprised is that the basic box fee increases $1 in the middle/end of next year (i.e. 211 goes to $8, VIP 722 goes to $18, hopper goes to $15). Dish has to please the stock holders. Without a growing pool of subscribers Dish will be forced to raise revenue from existing subscribers.

Seeing that I only have one Hopper according to what you just said i'll only see an increase on the whole house dvr fee an increse of $4, but not on the rental of my lone Hopper. Is that correct?
Correct. A lot of "first hopper" / fees terminology been floating around, so confusion is understandable.

Yes. The first Hopper will be going up from $10 to $14. Joeys will remain the same price. Second Hopper and beyond is going up from $7 to $14 each. ViP 622/722 fees will remain at $7 for the first and $17 for each extra (so far.) I am assuming that the 922 fee structure remains unchanged as well.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Yes. The first Hopper will be going up from $10 to $14. Joeys will remain the same price. Second Hopper and beyond is going up from $7 to $14 each.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner
Again, the source of confusion. Whole Home fee up $4.00. Not first Hopper.

Again, the source of confusion. Whole Home fee up $4.00. Not first Hopper.

Please, tell me, would one have a "Whole Home" fee without having at least one Hopper? Also, why do people with only one Hopper (no Joeys) also pay this so-called "Whole Home" fee? As I said, first Hopper fee. Hell, even "DVR Fee" makes more sense than "Whole Home Fee."

You over estimate some peoples understanding of the scenario. I stand by my explanation....which is what the line item bills will reflect.

I predict that next year rates will increase...

There is simply no way around it. No matter how much everyone complains rates will rise in one way or another. Yes, this is a sneaky below the belt increase, but guess what, there will be another rate increase. Inflation happens, everyone raises rates year after year. I would not be surprised is that the basic box fee increases $1 in the middle/end of next year (i.e. 211 goes to $8, VIP 722 goes to $18, hopper goes to $15). Dish has to please the stock holders. Without a growing pool of subscribers Dish will be forced to raise revenue from existing subscribers.

Which will cause even more CHURN and less customers. The point of diminishing returns has just about been reached in my household and I am sure I'm not alone.

Please, tell me, would one have a "Whole Home" fee without having at least one Hopper? Also, why do people with only one Hopper (no Joeys) also pay this so-called "Whole Home" fee? As I said, first Hopper fee. Hell, even "DVR Fee" makes more sense than "Whole Home Fee."

Why do they charge this "whole home" fee for one Hopper? My grandfather wanted to go with Dish and one Hopper. I told him to hold off. $14 for one receiver is crazy! He wanted the Hopper because of PTAT! By the way I knew exactly what you ment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

Why do they charge this "whole home" fee for one Hopper? My grandfather wanted to go with Dish and one Hopper. I told him to hold off. $14 for one receiver is crazy! He wanted the Hopper because of PTAT! By the way I knew exactly what you ment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

Because in reality the "Whole Home" fee is just Dish's way of charging a fee for the first Hopper. Anyone with a little common sense could understand the concept. Yeah that's a shame that he can't/won't pay the fee for the Hopper. Personally, I think it's still worth it, but I'm not your average Joe when it comes to DVRs. He could get a 722 for only $7 a month, it's not near as fancy as Hopper, but still a very decent receiver, especially for just 1 TV.

Which will cause even more CHURN and less customers. The point of diminishing returns has just about been reached in my household and I am sure I'm not alone.

Yes, I suspect you are not alone. But, with the constant march of inflation and provider programming fee increases, Dish will have no choice but to raise prices. Eventually other alternatives like internet video will eventually be the low cost alternative.

My bill, for 1 Hopper, has a line item "DVR Service" for $10. If Dish wants customers to differentiate between that and an increase in the "Whole Home Fee", they should separate the two on the bill, IMO.

One of the reasons I switched to the Hopper was that the 722 DVR fee went up a dollar two months ago and the Hopper fee (DVR+hidden Whole House+Hidden fee for Hopper features like PTAT and Auto Hop) stayed the same.

The big thing for me is my DVR credit expires in 3 months. I can makeup the $4 by dropping premium programming as I stated before, but the $7 DVR credit will be tough since I'm already at AT200. Might have to call and complain and/or threaten to leave to make that up...

Well at least now I understand the new Hopper commercial that has the guy screaming and jumping out the window. He must have heard about the increases.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts