first time set-up

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The setup won't work correctly without an SWM multiswitch, because of the stack plan and guide data. With separate LNBs for 99, 101 and 103, the multiple setup will behave like a Slimline 5 non-SWM but without 110/119. When the receiver tunes to a channel from the 103 satellite, it will be looking for 119 for the guide data.,
The slimline 3 has a special LNB that takes the 101 guide data and puts it on the 103 signals, but this setup won't have that.
Because an SWM system sends guide data on a separate SWM channel, it always takes the guide data from 101, so you don't need 119. But if you use a regular multiswitch, you will get guide data error messages.

I have already 2 long wires to the house. The readings at the house are equal to the readings near the dish.

View attachment 90564View attachment 90565
These are the switches i tested with the 103W

Strangely only the SAT side left the 103 signal through.

What you have in the pictures are Diplxers and some splitters (no switches)
and the reason why only the sat worked is because the lnb needs DC power
without VDC the lnb wont work.

What you have in the pictures are Diplxers and some splitters (no switches)
and the reason why only the sat worked is because the lnb needs DC power
without VDC the lnb wont work.

Yes, I figured that quickly but I thought the UHF part would work for low frequency and Ka.

99 101 103  with 0-22khz switch 003.JPG

So I attached the 3rd lnb to the 2.4m Prodelin and got good reception.

99 101 103  with 0-22khz switch 004.JPG by connecting it directly to the receiver.

The receiver would not finish completely booting up and got stuck as the guide (from 101) could not be downloaded.
This showed me that the 101W is essential for the boot up section with the updates and guide. It would not work with 99 and 103 only.
It needs the 101 for my receiver to completely boot up and to get a picture.

So I tested with Ecoda EC-2111 0/22khz controlled Switches and got quite a bit further.
I combined 101W and 99W with the switches and fed it into the 6x8 Ka/Ku switch. It worked a little with the 101 on the 22 Khz side and the 99Wc on the 0 Khz side (but not the other way around).
I did also attach an Inline Amp to the 101 cables but could not see any improvement to the signal.
99 101 103  with 0-22khz switch 005.JPG

The 99W(c) showed good readings on all tps (tp 1 to 14); the 2 tps of 99W(s) stayed on zero.

I did loose several tps on 101W by using the switch --it seems all the tps with low reading) but 99W showed the same readings w/o any loss. 103 ca and cb remained the same as they have it's own input at the 6x8.
99 101 103 001.JPG

The result works good but . . . . but when running the set-up again, the downloading of the guide got stuck completely at 98% and I could not go any further; no back, no forward, no button worked. I guess one of the tps for completing that download is on a week 101 tp (which was lost); it's not there any more due to the switch.
99 101 103  with 0-22khz switch 006.JPG

I tricked the receiver by inserting the 2 cable for 101 directly into the 6x8 switch and the download completed right away.
Later i hooked up the switches/combiners back to the 99/101/103 set up and the receiver did not mind at all.

Naturally i am with just a short download of the guide and no updates but programming works fine; only very few channels do not work.
The majority of channels work fine and mostly in HD.
The guide does not update.

Last edited:
These are the models I found:

DirecTV Standard Definition (D12).
DirecTV HD Receiver (H10/H20/H21/H23/H24/H25).
DirecTV Plus DVR (R15/R16/R22).
DirecTV Plus HD-DVR (HR20/HR21/HR22/HR23/HR24).
DirecTV Pro HD-DVR (HR21-Pro).
The DirecTV "Genie" Home Media Center HD DVR (HR-34).
DirecTV DVR with TiVo Service (THR22).

Sorry i miss read or miss typed: receiver HR22-100
It was delivered in May 2013 with a new account.

Last edited:
Yes, i can confirm:

Everything working, all Movie Channels HD, all Cable Channels HD, all Sports Channels HD, even Network Channels from LA (hadn't had these in a long time)

No guide though.

Thanks !

99-101-103 combined:
99 101 103 combined.JPG

101W only:
101W standard LNB 001.JPG

Last edited:
Go back and look at my previous posts.
You need 101 for startup.
If you use an unmodified LNB for 99, it also produces 101 signals and they will interfere with the "real" 101 signals (it looks like you are seeing this) so you will lose signal strength on 101. You need an LNB for 99 modified to remove the 101 signals.
You need an SWM multiswitch otherwise you will not get any guide data updates when you are looking at 103 channels.

once you locate the lnbf at that feed axis, search for the signal and peak sliding up and down to see if you are at the peak of the focus, also you will have to realign azimuth and elevation, then take readings and compare where you achieve strongest levels....

I am pretty sure that each of the 3 lnbs/feedhorn (of the triple SL3) works only with the designated satellite.
e.g. I have tried to get signal with the lowest feedhorn designed for 99W to get signal on the 103W.
Looking at my picture above, I have tried to just move the entire lnb up so the 99 feedhorn would be centered in the dish's focal point.

It did not work !! For sure.
You cannot use the 99W part for 103 and the 103W part for 99. The lnb will not work on regular dish upside down.

Go back and look at my previous posts.
You need 101 for startup.
If you use an unmodified LNB for 99, it also produces 101 signals and they will interfere with the "real" 101 signals (it looks like you are seeing this) so you will lose signal strength on 101. You need an LNB for 99 modified to remove the 101 signals.
You need an SWM multiswitch otherwise you will not get any guide data updates when you are looking at 103 channels.

I had the receiver turned off over night and the guide had updated quite good. I have now about 4 days of advance guide :)
This could be because if the receiver is turned off, all functions are turn off and signal reception is also turned off, but only the updates (tps for guides and software updates) might remain functional.

I also think that the switch Rafael had recommended in an earlier post on page 27 will solve some of the problems as one side lets only pass the Ka signal but not any Ku from the 101. http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/309927-first-time-set-up/page27

Last edited:
I had the receiver turned off over night and the guide had updated quite good. I have now about 4 days of advance guide :)
This could be because if the receiver is turned off, all functions are turn off and signal reception is also turned off, but only the updates (tps for guides and software updates) might remain functional.

I also think that the switch Rafael had recommended in an earlier post on page 27 will solve some of the problems as one side lets only pass the Ka signal but not any Ku from the 101. http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/309927-first-time-set-up/page27

The receiver does not switch "off", only goes to standby. It is still receiving and processing signals. If you leave the receiver (or tuner 1 on a DVR) tuned to a 101 or 99 channel, the guide will come in. If you leave it tuned to a 103 channel, the guide won't, read the previous posts about the stack plan and the need for you to use an SWM multiswitch.
The 99 and 101 signals are combined inside the LNB so you either modify the LNB so the unwanted 101 signals don't come though (because that is probably what is screwing your "real" 101 signals) or you get rid of them before you combine the 99 and the "real" 101 signals. Rafael suggested using a diplexer to get rid of the 101 signals and that might work, it depends on the isolation between the two sets of signals through the diplexer. Most diplexers only give you about 10db of isolation and that might not be enough, which is possibly why the "LNB kit" you posted actually has a modified LNB for 99.

Right, I understand.
Will find out sooner or later.

I actually had to unplug the receiver to plug it into a surge protector with power back up.
The same thing happened:

I had to directly plug in the 101W without the combiner and 99.
That way it booted nicely and when I plugged in the combiner and 99 I was back to normal.
Not a big deal if there is no daily re-boot like at Dishnetwork's 722.

We'll see in 2 weeks what the new diplexers/combiner do. If not I'll have to open an SL3 to see where to cut.

thanks !

the tv guide update does not work with the current set-up. I am not sure how it updated once over night; I cannot repeat it.
So far every morning I have to unplug the 99W to let the 101W do the guide update for a few hours.

On Sat. I am receiving the new switches. We'll see then.
thanks guys !

Yes, try the diplexers to filter out the unwanted 101 signals and post back.
As I said, you also need an SWM multiswitch but don't use that until you have solved the 99/101 problem because it will just confuse things.

Regular set-up 103, 101+99 combined with 0/22HKhz controlled switch EC-2111, 101W with inline amp on 22Khz side of the combiner/switch:
reg. set-up.JPG reg. set-up 99.JPG reg. set-up 101.JPG
Result: tps with tv guide missing, guide not updating.

103 plus 101 only:
103 + 101 direct (2).JPG 103 + 101 direct.JPG
result: no 99W

101W direct plus amp:
101 direct plus amp.JPG 101 direct plus amp (2).JPG
result again: no 99W and I see no difference with the amp.

99 + 101 combined, no amp:
99 101 switch no amp.JPG 99 101 switch no amp (2).JPG 99 101 switch no amp (3).JPG
result: 101 not working. 101 will only pass combiner/switch when inline amp is in place.

I have also tested to reverse the 99 and 101. The 101 will only work on the 22khz side of the switch and also only with the amp.

Raf: It is confusing why the 101 would only pass the combiner when an inline amp is in place.
Any explanation ?

Thanks !

Attachments

• - 101 direct plus amp plus switch (2).JPG
    - 101 direct plus amp plus switch (2).JPG
    483.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Read my previous posts. If you don't use an SWM multiswitch you will NOT get guide data when you are tuned to a channel from 103.

Hello Guys I've been a bit busy.....
I've been reading a bit all your posts and I will just add a few things:

1.- Vixen if you want the thing to work without the two port powered Diplexer, you can use regular diplexers but you will have to use power supply to power the 99W a powered switch might do the trick.

Regarding EPG.

On 101W Transponders 2 & 10 give main EPG to all DirecTV subscribers, of course the main EPG might be complemented from other birds but the ird should keep on working only if you have 2 & 10 out 101W.

What about the diplexers on the 99/101 lines??
I have tested all options there are at this time. I hope this sheds some light on it.
I have updated it over the last hours and now it is all complete and with pictures showing the results.
refresh my last post.

1.- Vixen if you want the thing to work without the two port powered Diplexer, you can use regular diplexers but you will have to use power supply to power the 99W a powered switch might do the trick.
Raf, A little confusing:
* Q: I am using the 0/22Khz controlled switch EC-2111. Does it need to be powered ?
* Q: What kind of powered switch might do the trick ?
* Q: any idea why my current EC-2111 switch would only work if the inline amp is in place ?

p.s. Saturday I expect the switch you have suggested and posted a picture; the one with 0-900 on one side and 950-2150 on the other side.

The receiver does not switch "off", only goes to standby. It is still receiving and processing signals. If you leave the receiver (or tuner 1 on a DVR) tuned to a 101 or 99 channel, the guide will come in. If you leave it tuned to a 103 channel, the guide won't, read the previous posts about the stack plan and the need for you to use an SWM multiswitch.
The 99 and 101 signals are combined inside the LNB so you either modify the LNB so the unwanted 101 signals don't come though (because that is probably what is screwing your "real" 101 signals) or you get rid of them before you combine the 99 and the "real" 101 signals. Rafael suggested using a diplexer to get rid of the 101 signals and that might work, it depends on the isolation between the two sets of signals through the diplexer. Most diplexers only give you about 10db of isolation and that might not be enough, which is possibly why the "LNB kit" you posted actually has a modified LNB for 99.

The past few nights, I have left the receiver mostly on ESPN News HD; I believe its on 103W.
Coming night I will leave tuner 1 on ESPN HD and that should be on 99W.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)