Fix Your OpenBox S-9 For 58 Cents

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Got my Pixl repaired S9 back on Tuesday. Removed my working one and put this in place. Dumped my sats and stations on it and let it run. Works just Great! I told RT not to drop any more cat toys in there so it will last for a long time.
Thanks to Pixl(Jim)for a great fix and job well done.:first:

RT - Meow
Ted

Got my Pixl repaired S9 back on Tuesday. Removed my working one and put this in place. Dumped my sats and stations on it and let it run. Works just Great! I told RT not to drop any more cat toys in there so it will last for a long time.
Thanks to Pixl(Jim)for a great fix and job well done.:first:

RT - Meow
Ted

Congratulations!

WOW I must say Digi-Key is fast I ordered ten to add to my collection Tuesday night before I went to bed. They just arrived with regular shipping.

Everyone's nice comments are welcome. Thank you.

RT, does it push your USALS motor around ok?
NO
It must be a mystery motor. Hook an S9 to it and nothing. And nothing past it to the LNB's. Plug 15 volts from a power supply and it lights up and moves just fine. "This does not compute."

RT.

NO
It must be a mystery motor. Hook an S9 to it and nothing. And nothing past it to the LNB's. Plug 15 volts from a power supply and it lights up and moves just fine. "This does not compute."

RT.

Boy I am out of ideas on this one.
I think I am going to have to take a drive to Ludington one of these days, see if we can fix it.
Maybe I could take a look at that 7 1/2 ftr you have.

WOW I must say Digi-Key is fast I ordered ten to add to my collection Tuesday night before I went to bed. They just arrived with regular shipping.

Ke4est,

It will be interesting to see if this part fixes your S-10. Been only S-9s so far, yours will be the first S-10.

Yeah the s10 works, until you hook it up to a motor and then it bogs it down and resets. I'm hoping this is the problem.

Boy I am out of ideas on this one.
I think I am going to have to take a drive to Ludington one of these days, see if we can fix it.
Maybe I could take a look at that 7 1/2 ftr you have.
Got me baffled too.
Road trip sounds great. I was just out to the big barn today and looked at the Wilson dish parts. With this GREAT WEATHER we have been having, I will find some time and pull the landscape trailer out of the barn and get all the parts out from the far corner so it could be better examined. Most it may need is a paint job to cover up some very small rust spots. It was from 1984.

T.

Improved My OpenBox S10 for .58 Cents

For the most part I have been happy with my S10. As everyone knows they have their issues and bugs, but after finding the firmware that works for me, I have been ok with it. The only major problem I have ever had with it, was driving a USALS motor. It would drive it very, very slowly for a few seconds and then stop. At this time the S10 would sometimes reset its self. I don't use a USALS motor very often as I have a C/Ku LNBF on my eight footer and after a few weeks of tweaking it last fall got it too work on both just fine. So I didn't think much more about it and the motor just sat out there unused. Well after reading the work that Pixl has been doing on an S9, I decided to crack the case on the OpenBox again. When looking to see what thermistor it has, it actually had a better one than his S9 did. It was rated 60V at 650 milliamps. So I don't know if it was just a weak part or what. Anyway I ordered 10 of the part he suggested in his thread here. Yes one is all I needed, but I'm always working on something or someone has me working on something, so I always order more than one of something if it is cheap like this. ;) Anyway I got the parts in very quick from Digi-Key and today I had a chance to change out the thermistor. So I got it changed and hooked it back up. I went outside and moved the coax over to the SG-9120B. I came in and fired up the S10 and.................Fixed!!! It moves the motor very well now. It moves fast through the arc and back and through the arc again with no problems and the new thermistor was running cool to the touch. So the S10 is back together now and back in its place in the entertainment center. So if I ever want to run a USALS motor with it I will not worry about just doing it.

A BIG thanks to Pixl for all his hard work and a very well done article on what he did!!! If it wasn't for him my S10 still would not be able to move the SG-9120B.

DSC02259.JPGDSC02260.JPGDSC02261.JPGDSC02267.JPG

A few more photos if any one is interested. As you can see from above the tuner is on its on board in the S10. Also as Pixl stated in his thread, you can just snip off the old one in the S10 also with a pair of dikes and change it out from the top. So if you don't want to tear into it further and take out the tuner like I did just do it that way.

DSC02253.JPGDSC02264.JPGDSC02265.JPG

Man I got that done just in the nick of time. It is raining cats and dogs here, very hard and with some hail mixed it....:D

This is an excellent thing you and Pixl are doing with the S-9 and S-10 boxes. Great Job, guys!:cool:

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)