Fix Your OpenBox S-9 For 58 Cents

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The specs look ok to me, probably will work better than the defective Chineese part.

If it works you will have to start a new thread, "How to fix your OpenBox for 33 cents!"

Haha yea :D

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Pixl and Ke4est,

Gotta tell you that you have really done a great job all around here with the entire S9/S10 repair presentation!
It is truly awesome to see you guys taking on these DIY repairs and forwarding the assistance (enlightening others) with the knowledge.
This is the epitome of what makes this forum so excellent. Truly, this is what it is all about. People jumping in and finding answers and spreading the knowledge to others who were seeking the same, but hadn't found it yet.

How would Jed Clampett say it? "It's a darn right neighborly thing". :)

RADAR

Be careful plugging the tuner board back in,if your aim is off the receiver will kick into clone detection mode after 3 reboots.
Taking the tuner out is easy,putting it back in requires taking screws out of the mainboard and shifting it forward.

Thanks Radar!!

Also good point xtgold.

Jim thanks for the part mailed and received this week, Today I installed it on an S9 that my parents use (which was giving them LNB problems recently) and working like new again.

I have never had a problem with my S9 of not being able to move my motor during normal operation, nor with intermittent LNB operation. However, if the S9 is used with a universal LNB with 22kHz ON for high band operation and, if a vertical tp is selected, when the dish is moved the quality reading drops to zero and there is no way to orient the dish. The workaround is to always do orientation with a horizontal tp. Will this fix address this?

Cyber,

I have not encountered those exact symptoms. Seems to me there was a discussion quite some time ago about this. I thought it had been fixed in a FW update. However you should pull the cover and look at the thermistor. If it is marked M60 065 I would replace it, might be your problem.

...I have not encountered those exact symptoms. Seems to me there was a discussion quite some time ago about this. I thought it had been fixed in a FW update. However you should pull the cover and look at the thermistor. If it is marked M60 065 I would replace it, might be your problem.
After removing the Russian language label across one of the cover screws (probably says Warranty Void if Opened, or No User Serviceable Parts), and peering inside, I see the little yellow M60 065 staring back at me. Not good, I guess. Otherwise, seems like reasonable quality PCB and neat layout.

After removing the Russian language label across one of the cover screws (probably says Warranty Void if Opened, or No User Serviceable Parts), and peering inside, I see the little yellow M60 065 staring back at me. Not good, I guess. Otherwise, seems like reasonable quality PCB and neat layout.

I have a few extra of that part. If you want one PM your address to me, I'll send one N/C.

mine does that even with a "good" thermistor,so I think the universal/diseqc motor problem was 22khz related.
To fix I just switched to a standard ku linear lnb instead.

mine does that even with a "good" thermistor,so I think the universal/diseqc motor problem was 22khz related.
To fix I just switched to a standard ku linear lnb instead.
This is interesting. I am planning to switch to a standard linear LNB since I now know a universal LNB doesn't buy me anything even here on the east coast as far north as I am. Just haven't decided on which LNB to go for yet.

I have a few extra of that part. If you want one PM your address to me, I'll send one N/C.
That's very generous. I think for now I'm going to listen to xtgold and plan to change to a standard LNB anyway. With that change, I won't have any issue. Also the S9 is soon to graduate to a museum piece here once I get the microHD.

i can always get two microhd's instead of one? that way i can give the wife one and still have one to play with? our anniversary is coming up... hmmmm... charlie.

i can always get two microhd's instead of one? that way i can give the wife one and still have one to play with? our anniversary is coming up... hmmmm... charlie.

That's a horrible anniversary gift.. get her an AZBOX ME instead ..

i do need to get her something that will not require anything other than pushing buttons to get to her channels. and getting the microhd for me and an azbox for her might be the solution. i do think i will give her the 6' with the gbox and will have the 8' with the old style manual actuator because the 8' is always off a little bit with the gbox a few counts + or -. and i will still have the solomend and the dsr200c and then an azbox to play with... so many decisions to decide on.... charlie

After repairing the S9 thanks to Pixl I was wondering. I never tried to upgrade the receiver after I found out it was a clone. Tools menu 777777 then I had CCID - 0105 come up. I still have the version with the green tint problem, HDS2-10-11-08:1026CM. My question is there any new version that helps with the audio sink delays & the shutter on F1 CBC? I do not have a motor on it and after fixing it I do not want to turn it into a brick. Thanks.

Wood,

My OpenBox originally had a CCID that was not on the "good" list, I think same # as yours. But I have put several FW ver on the box with no trouble. I think the only clone kill FW were released in early 2011 and I never tried any of those (Jan-Mar). I'm currently using 7-17-2011, looks like the original FW, fixes green, and fixes stuttering on F1. See attached file. Please change .txt to .abs

View attachment 7-17-2011_S9_S10_File.txt

Woodheat,
I have to agree with Pixl. My, in use, S9 had a "bad" number also and I have dumped many different versions of FW on it and it still keeps going. So......?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)