Former Dish or Directv customers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Are any of you current Voom customers formerly customers of Dish or Directv? I'm wondering how picture quality compares to them both in SD & HD. I currently have Dish Network HD with 811 receiver(numerous problems) and also had SD with Directv. I'm considering switching to Voom when my 1 year commitment is up. Is each receiver monthly fee $9.95 or just with the $0 upfront deal? Thanks.

I used to be a Dish Network customer. Got tired of the HDTV always being promised, but never actually arriving. PQ on HDTV is just as good as Dish, not sure about the SD channels. The PQ on the SD channels may be a little better on Dish. I don't watch the SD channels much anyway, though.

Regarding the $0 upfront deal and the $9.50, I don't know if they will still be offering the $9.50 rental after the $0 upfront promotion or not.

Sean Dudley

Im a current Directv customer along with VOOM. The STD is about the same...you wont see much difference between Directv and VOOM. To me all STD pictures look like crap on our HD sets. If you hooked up the STD out from the VOOM receiver and put it on a STD tv, the picture looks great. The 0 upfront deal is the one that VOOM charges 10 buck rental fee for each receiver. If you buy your equipment then you dont have to bother with the rent fee. But, if you are on the fence about trying it out, I would rent the receiver and stuff...and if you dont like the service, you can always go back to dish or directv.

As a former D* subscriber of 8 years I'd say the picture quality, HD or SD, is basically a draw. It was content for the $$ that drew me to V* and the MPEG4/WM9 future technology that neither D* or E* has the capacity to do.

JimMcC said:
Are any of you current Voom customers formerly customers of Dish or Directv? I'm wondering how picture quality compares to them both in SD & HD. I currently have Dish Network HD with 811 receiver(numerous problems) and also had SD with Directv. I'm considering switching to Voom when my 1 year commitment is up. Is each receiver monthly fee $9.95 or just with the $0 upfront deal? Thanks.

I had D* package with HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/Movie Channel only and I think Voom has as good a picture on the SD channels. I also still have cable for my other TV's and of course Voom is much better than cable (at least here, and I suspect most areas). Lastly, Voom seems to continually be tweaking and improving - I suspect they have staff concentrating on PQ one channel at a time. PQ has improved in the two weeks I have been a subscriber.

I am a DirecTV customer switching to Voom tomorrow, May 3. I will report my experience.

DISH will yank your chain and lead you on and on and on, building false promises about more HD programming.

Get Voom.

BB

I currently have both Dish and Voom and in my opinion the SD picture quality is very
close between the two......I might give a slight edge to Dish. The HD quality is equal
from my experience......I've compared both DiscoveryHD and ESPNHD and there is no discernable difference. The PQ on Voom's exclusive channels range from mediocre to eye-popping. The original programming(rave,rush, gallery,etc.) is breathtaking, the cinema 10 channels are similar to the premium movie channels(HBO, SHOW, etc.) in that more recent movies look awesome and some older movies are less then spectacular. In any event, when you start watching HD programming you most likely will find yourself watching less and less SD programming.

SD Comparable

I currently have E* with the basic package plus local channels with pvr. The SD qualtiy is very close between voom and E*. Once zoom comes out with pvr capabilities, I will be closing my account with E*.

JimMcC said:

I am currently trying Voom, and for the most part the PQ is great on the HD programming, but I cant compare to Dish yet because I only had a pvr, but I did buy a 811 used that i havent hooked up just yet..Can you tell me what kinds of problems you had with the 811?

I am very use to Dish menu/guide and the one thing I don't like about Voom so far is the guide/menu system at all.

Also there are currently no HD ppv on Voom and that is what I would really like to check out and see out it looks.

I dropped Dish SD programming about 6 months ago because of overcompression and how fuzzy their image looked on my projector. (Most) Voom SD channels are sharp and have much more detail than the best Dish SD channels, though there are a few real Turkeys on Voom (BET, Travel). There is not a single Dish SD channel I am aware of that looks good on my projector. I tried their free HBO/Cinemax awhile back and they still looked just as bad as ever. Seeing as how these are Premium channels, I would assume that is the best quality Dish has to offer.

I rarely watch any SD programming, but it's nice to know I can watch it now if I want to. Dish SD is so bad, I can see the artifacts on my Commodore 13" monitor, while Voom SD looks as good as a DVD on the same screen.

It's amazing how most of the posts here are commentary to VOOM, but on other Forums they state VOOM is a joke! Just don't understand it. Must be the Chev/Ford thing. I think it's great myself and still have D* with Locals & HD package. Plan to cut back D* when VOOM has a DVR, but feel presently to have two great sources of HD!

rickaren said:
It's amazing how most of the posts here are commentary to VOOM, but on other Forums they state VOOM is a joke! Just don't understand it. Must be the Chev/Ford thing. I think it's great myself and still have D* with Locals & HD package. Plan to cut back D* when VOOM has a DVR, but feel presently to have two great sources of HD!
Most of the folks on other forums that are calling Voom a joke don't have Voom. Also, they may be wanting Voom but are "stuck" in a contract with D* or E* and don't want to spend the extra $ on Voom. Don't be mislead by how much everyone here appears to loves Voom. We are just emerging from a pretty dark month where even one of our moderators was considering throwing in the towel. If you are looking for honest, un-biased opinions on Voom this is the place. Almost all of the folks here have Voom and yet are not afraid to call it as they see it when the going gets bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts