Free ota antenna email from dish

I’m still just amazed they’re giving something for free they normally charge a fairly large amount for
Dish does the same thing every time they agree to install a Hopper 3 for free.

It would give DISH an advantage in negotiations because they could say that they are working on an ota tuner ,that records 4 networks at a time and that they would soon be selling it to subs along with new antennas.
Do you know that for sure, or are you just speculating?

Based on what? Yes, the total they have to give the broadcaster each month would drop, but I'm pretty sure they negotiate a per subscriber rate, NOT a total rate.
Dish still pays the total rate, though. Or do you think that Dish sends each station owner a separate check for each subscriber? Within reason, it doesn't matter what the per-subscriber rate is, as long as the total amount that Dish pays is now less than what Dish was paying before. Dish would still save money, especially if Dish had been losing money on the local package selling it at $10 per month.

Reactions: HipKat
Dish still pays the total rate, though. Or do you think that Dish sends each station owner a separate check for each subscriber? Within reason, it doesn't matter what the per-subscriber rate is, as long as the total amount that Dish pays is now less than what Dish was paying before. Dish would still save money, especially if Dish had been losing money on the local package selling it at $10 per month.
umm, yes, I said as much in the post you quoted. Dish saves money overall. That doesn't mean the per subscriber rate drops. It can still go up.

umm, yes, I said as much in the post you quoted. Dish saves money overall. That doesn't mean the per subscriber rate drops. It can still go up.
Umm, yes, I said as much in my earlier post:
Perhaps it is not about the rate per subscriber, but rather the total payment that Dish has to make to each station. Even if the per subscriber rate increases, Dish should (obviously) be paying the station much less for those 25,000 viewers than Dish had been previously paying for the 100,000 viewers.

That doesn't mean the per subscriber rate drops. It can still go up.
Yes, it can still go up. Think about a different way for a second.

-- You make a widget and the price is $100
-- People are indifferent about your product - they're interested in it but not quite enough and...
-- No one buys your widget
-- You reduce the price to $25 and suddenly interest in your product increases and people now "want" it

Get it ? The market (in the economic sense) can influence the price of a product (in this case, a channel).

Yes, it can still go up. Think about a different way for a second.

-- You make a widget and the price is $100
-- People are indifferent about your product - they're interested in it but not quite enough and...
-- No one buys your widget
-- You reduce the price to $25 and suddenly interest in your product increases and people now "want" it

Get it ? The market (in the economic sense) can influence the price of a product (in this case, a channel).
I think we're all saying the same thing. PP brought up that with fewer subscribers to local, the total price Dish pays a local drops. That's true. I never denied that. But that doesn't affect the per subscriber price, which, as I understand it, is how these deals are negotiated.

I could be wrong but I'm sure that Dish's stance on this would be something like this:

"You want $1.50/customer ? In your market, 32% of our customers have dropped or cancelled the local-channel package. We think $1.10/customer is a much more fair and realistic value."

Does it work ? Maybe, maybe not....

I could be wrong but I'm sure that Dish's stance on this would be something like this:

"You want $1.50/customer ? In your market, 32% of our customers have dropped or cancelled the local-channel package. We think $1.10/customer is a much more fair and realistic value."

Does it work ? Maybe, maybe not....
I think that's exactly what Dish would say. It's a good play. My counter would probably be something like...

"But how many of them are using an antenna and OTA and still using your equipment to view? More people watch our channel than watch ESPN and you have no problems paying them $6+/month."

And then your back to the arguments that have been stated every time there's a retrans dispute.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I think that's exactly what Dish would say. It's a good play. My counter would probably be something like...

"But how many of them are using an antenna and OTA and still using your equipment to view? More people watch our channel than watch ESPN and you have no problems paying them $6+/month."

And then your back to the arguments that have been stated every time there's a retrans dispute.
"your equipment" and a "TV tuner" equal the same. I see no counter that is worth anything here....

"your equipment" and a "TV tuner" equal the same. I see no counter that is worth anything here....
OK, are we really going to get into all the reasons again? Hasn't this been discussed to death?

Personally, I don't see a drop in subscribers as proof the cost per subscriber should drop. It doesn't mean people don't want to watch (like it would for a cable channel), just that they're using another method to watch. As OTT continues to take off, that would give people yet ANOTHER option.

OK, are we really going to get into all the reasons again? Hasn't this been discussed to death?

Personally, I don't see a drop in subscribers as proof the cost per subscriber should drop. It doesn't mean people don't want to watch (like it would for a cable channel), just that they're using another method to watch. As OTT continues to take off, that would give people yet ANOTHER option.
You are the one that brought up the "But how many of them are using an antenna and OTA and still using your equipment to view?" I'm simply stating that there is little difference between a Dish TV tuner and a TV tuner on a TV...

Reactions: MikeD-C05
You are the one that brought up the "But how many of them are using an antenna and OTA and still using your equipment to view?" I'm simply stating that there is little difference between a Dish TV tuner and a TV tuner on a TV...
True, sorry, read your post with the wrong inflection.

My counter would probably be something like...

"But how many of them are using an antenna and OTA and still using your equipment to view?
Dish needs no response to that and it's a baseless argument on the TV station's behalf. What does it mean / what are they driving at ? Even if every single subscriber in that market dropped locals, Dish then receives ZERO $$ for locals, yet the station expects Dish to pay ?

Dish needs no response to that and it's a baseless argument on the TV station's behalf. What does it mean / what are they driving at ? Even if every single subscriber in that market dropped locals, Dish then receives ZERO $$ for locals, yet the station expects Dish to pay ?
My point would solely be that viewers want to watch the locals. That's what they have to hang their hats on. Saying "32% dropped your service" doesn't necessarily mean that 32% of subscribers don't want to watch (even though that's probably what Dish will claim).

I still think the easy solution to all the retrans negotiaton is to set a price per rating point. That would push the locals for a better product (better product = more viewers = more ratings = more subscriber money). Take the average rating over the month long rating period (or whatever measurement) * amount decided by 3rd party * number of subscribers. You use the same formula for every local station across the country.

Reactions: dare2be
I still think the easy solution to all the retrans negotiaton is to set a price per rating point. That would push the locals for a better product (better product = more viewers = more ratings = more subscriber money). Take the average rating over the month long rating period (or whatever measurement) * amount decided by 3rd party * number of subscribers. You use the same formula for every local station across the country.
:clapping

can someone point me the right direction to purchase the coax to usb adapter for my hd antenna connecting to the hopper3
doesnt seem like any place local has it, or ever heard of it

thanks in advance

can someone point me the right direction to purchase the coax to usb adapter for my hd antenna connecting to the hopper3
doesnt seem like any place local has it, or ever heard of it

thanks in advance

???

You take the coax from the antenna and screw it into a Dish OTA tuner adapter, which plugs into the Hopper USB port out the other end of the adapter. You need an external OTA tuner to get OTA reception, along with the antenna.

???

You take the coax from the antenna and screw it into a Dish OTA tuner adapter, which plugs into the Hopper USB port out the other end of the adapter. You need an external OTA tuner to get OTA reception, along with the antenna.
I need to purchase the adapter
I have antenna
Why they don't include this part is ridiculous
Any help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts