Free ota antenna email from dish

would this work

dddba010-3206-4312-b406-ff2aad5d1481.png._CB303519629_.png

Rescheduled my tech from Friday (11/17) to tomorrow (11/20), but I think the general gist is that Dish wants to look good should the local companies do a black out, so offering an antenna, no matter their cost, looks good to the consumers and makes the subs think the networks are the scum. For reference, I have 2 722k with the OTA tuners already and 2 211k, and the tech that came by to reschedule said they counted as 6 tuners, that only 1 antenna could be hooked up to 1 tuner, and each additional antenna would be $50 (also quoted by the phone support), so I imagine they're banking on making a little bit of cost back from the folks with older equipment that don't know any better after getting a nice bulk shipment near cost. I'll get the full details tomorrow on what they're tossing on the roof, but I foresee a lot of RG6 slinging in my future.
Edit: I love Dish, but, every once in a while, their shenanigans hit that spot...

Reactions: littlecloud319
Rescheduled my tech from Friday (11/17) to tomorrow (11/20), but I think the general gist is that Dish wants to look good should the local companies do a black out, so offering an antenna, no matter their cost, looks good to the consumers and makes the subs think the networks are the scum. For reference, I have 2 722k with the OTA tuners already and 2 211k, and the tech that came by to reschedule said they counted as 6 tuners, that only 1 antenna could be hooked up to 1 tuner, and each additional antenna would be $50 (also quoted by the phone support), so I imagine they're banking on making a little bit of cost back from the folks with older equipment that don't know any better after getting a nice bulk shipment near cost. I'll get the full details tomorrow on what they're tossing on the roof, but I foresee a lot of RG6 slinging in my future.
You don't need an additional antenna, just a simple four-way splitter will work. Have the installer run the cable from the rooftop antenna to the receiver you use the most often (so it will be the shortest cable run possible) then install the splitter near that receiver, and run cables from the splitter to all of your receivers, and you will be all set.

You don't need an additional antenna, just a simple four-way splitter will work. Have the installer run the cable from the rooftop antenna to the receiver you use the most often (so it will be the shortest cable run possible) then install the splitter near that receiver, and run cables from the splitter to your other receivers, and you will be all set.
Oh yeah, I know. I just hate having to hang out of windows on the 2nd floor while drilling towards my legs/feet. I like Tim Taylor just fine, I just don't want to BE him.

Reactions: pattykay
I think I found the only 1 that exists for sale in St louis
Thanks for all your help guys
What a ridiculous ghost hunt this turned out to be

What brought this all on ....is I cancelled the locals thinking I would still receive national abc nbc fox ect but they have disappeared from guide

Dish rep that sold me adapter said I should still get the no local nationals

Can Anyone else confirm no locals = no nationals as well

Thanks again!

What brought this all on ....is I cancelled the locals thinking I would still receive national abc nbc fox ect but they have disappeared from guide

Thanks again!
I don't understand what you are saying. I still get all the National locals and guide info. Why cancel the locals?

Thanks again!

There aren't any "national" feeds of ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox. Well, at least there aren't any available to Dish subscribers. You either get your local ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox via Dish on satellite, or you get them with an antenna. Only exception would be the RV'ers who can get Los Angeles locals under certain circumstances. The CSR who told you that you'd get national feeds if you canceled "locals" was just flat out wrong

There aren't any "national" feeds of ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox. Well, at least there aren't any available to Dish subscribers. You either get your local ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox via Dish on satellite, or you get them with an antenna. Only exception would be the RV'ers who can get Los Angeles locals under certain circumstances. The CSR who told you that you'd get national feeds if you canceled "locals" was just flat out wrong
I'm gonna paraphrase here but she said when they were all at Dallas dish conference this year "chuck" had a vision of not having to pay for local fox nbc ect... in each big city and give us a choice of local or national broadcast
Then they will realize how many are not in need of local service

If that makes any sense

Last edited:
I'm gonna paraphrase here but she said when they were all at Dallas dish conference this year "chuck" had a vision of not having to pay for local fox nbc ect... in each big city and give us a choice of local or national broadcast
Then they will realize how many dot need the local service

If that makes any sense
The only way they could do that would be to drop all of the local channels completely, and allow a third-party company to lease space on the satellites to sell distant networks again. Even then, you would not have a choice of which one you can get. You would only have a choice of whether or not to get networks at all. Those who can get an OTA signal would have to get the networks that way or do without them, since they would not qualify for distants. Everyone else could choose whether or not to subscribe to the distants.

The only way they could do that would be to drop all of the local channels completely, and allow a third-party company to lease space on the satellites to sell distant networks again. Even then, you would not have a choice of which one you can get. You would only have a choice of whether or not to get networks at all. Those who can get an OTA signal would have to get the networks that way or do without them, since they would not qualify for distants. Everyone else could choose whether or not to subscribe to the distants.

Yep. It's WAY more complicated than most people realize.

First time poster!

I live in the Detroit market and we lost our CBS channel here. When I heard that I could HAVE a FREE outdoor antenna, installed and the dongles hooked up to my H3, I was excited. I live fairly close to the signals here, so I know the outdoor option will work out great. Even better, I have an abandoned dish on my roof already, as long as the guy will go up there, it should almost install itself.

I am concerned about the dropping of audio packets on recordings though. Seems like it happens for some but not everyone. I am curious to hear if we are talking about Hopper 3 devices, or some Sling versions with this issue? Anyone recently took Dish up on the offer of getting the OTA outdoor antenna and have been happy with it? Will I be swearing at the TV when The Orville records like crap? :)

First time poster!

I live in the Detroit market and we lost our CBS channel here. When I heard that I could HAVE a FREE outdoor antenna, installed and the dongles hooked up to my H3, I was excited. I live fairly close to the signals here, so I know the outdoor option will work out great. Even better, I have an abandoned dish on my roof already, as long as the guy will go up there, it should almost install itself.

I am concerned about the dropping of audio packets on recordings though. Seems like it happens for some but not everyone. I am curious to hear if we are talking about Hopper 3 devices, or some Sling versions with this issue? Anyone recently took Dish up on the offer of getting the OTA outdoor antenna and have been happy with it? Will I be swearing at the TV when The Orville records like crap? :)

Welcome!

Seems that a lot of the audio cutouts are happening to people with the older single tuner OTA adapter. You’ll be getting the new dual tuner adapter. Fingers crossed it will work for you. I have the new dual model on my H3 and it works great ;)

Reactions: pattykay
Just to follow up with my earlier posts, my bill has generated, and is correct. They gave me a $100 credit plus tax to purchased my own antenna, sent me the Dual Tuner OTA Adapter for free plus free antenna install. The $20 credit is for an appointment mix up (read my previous posts).

One-Time Charges
11/07/17 Tech Visit 0.00
11/09/17 OTA Usb Adapter 99.99

One-Time Credits
10/31/17 Courtesy Credit -8.00
10/31/17 OTA Usb Adapter -99.99
11/01/17 Courtesy Credit -20.00
11/02/17 Courtesy Credit -100.00

Just to follow up with my earlier posts, my bill has generated, and is correct. They gave me a $100 credit plus tax to purchased my own antenna, sent me the Dual Tuner OTA Adapter for free plus free antenna install. The $20 credit is for an appointment mix up (read my previous posts).

One-Time Charges
11/07/17 Tech Visit 0.00
11/09/17 OTA Usb Adapter 99.99

One-Time Credits
10/31/17 Courtesy Credit -8.00
10/31/17 OTA Usb Adapter -99.99
11/01/17 Courtesy Credit -20.00
11/02/17 Courtesy Credit -100.00

wow, i have to buy my own ota adapter driving 120 miles this morning,
i called dish yesterday, asking about the adapter, they read me some crap speech about its good for us to stand up, then told me to unscrew my remote antenna and connect it to that, then i was told to connect the antenna to my tv and watch it that way. i was told they do not have the ota adapter, the upside is i got a bill credit for all this. $5 was all they could muster, i was far from happy.

everything has been hooked
all channels are there and look great

will the guide for the national channels eventually update fully
it has been on for 12+ hours now and the guide only shows an hour or so ahead
hopper was reset last night

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)