Frustrated by numerous program guide issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have two VIP722k's that I'm no longer using. Is there a resale market for these? I didn't think they could be reactivated.
My understanding is that you can't use them to sign up as a new customer anymore, but they can still be activated on an existing customer's account. As far as how long you have to be a customer before you qualify as an "existing customer" to be eligible to switch to ViP DVRs, I have no idea.

Reactions: PasTypique
The finale of Face Off on SyFy didn't record tonight. I realized it about 15 minutes into the show and pulled up the program info. It had all the usual information including the correct date, season, and episode number, but for some reason it wasn't marked "new".

What the hell is going on at Dish that they think this is acceptable? Fixing this mess should be priority #1! Someone needs to be raising hell all the way up the ladder to Charlie himself if need be. How many employees does Dish have? Are ANY of them doing ANYTHING to address this problem? I can only assume they aren't. Meanwhile, I'm paying over $100 a month for a product that fails to perform as advertised! This sort of behavior should be criminal!

It isn’t Dish. It isn’t Charlie. It’s the EPG data provider, Rovi. Dish pays for the service, and it’s simply not as good as it was with Tribune.

Also, program owners play games with Nielsen. They will slightly alter the name, to perhaps avoid being counted on a night when they know there will be low viewership. They may misspell, add a space or a period, etc. for all I know, they may add a non - printing character.

To the human eye, we probably wouldn’t notice. But DVRs can’t determine they are the same program.

I suspect the program owners aren’t in love with DVRs and are probably just as happy to mess with the recording process.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

It isn’t Dish. It isn’t Charlie. It’s the EPG data provider, Rovi. Dish pays for the service, and it’s simply not as good as it was with Tribune.

Also, program owners play games with Nielsen. They will slightly alter the name, to perhaps avoid being counted on a night when they know there will be low viewership. They may misspell, add a space or a period, etc. for all I know, they may add a non - printing character.

To the human eye, we probably wouldn’t notice. But DVRs can’t determine they are the same program.

I suspect the program owners aren’t in love with DVRs and are probably just as happy to mess with the recording process.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I see some programs that are suppose to be new and they aren't.

Reactions: navychop

I know it isn't Charlie, but Charlie should be concerned that he's not getting what he's paying for, and annoying his customers.

For one off shows the default is record once. If it says record all the guide data is messed up for that show.

It appears we are both partly wrong. Did some research after your post. Turns out the default differs based on program type. For movies, default is once. For series, default is new episodes. For specials, which includes one offs, infomercials, etc. the default is all episodes.

Hence, if it is truly shown once there is no problem, but if it is repeated .....

I offer as proof of my conjecture -
- CSPAN 8PM tonight had special on President Obama, default was all
- EPIC 8PM tonight had CMA Awards Live which shows again Saturday default all
- the infomercial for Lifelock default is all

Reactions: TheKrell

Also, program owners play games with Nielsen. They will slightly alter the name, to

I pay Dish. Dish is responsible. In my business I buy supplies from 3rd parties, sometimes I outsource, but I am responsible to my customers for MY product. So is Dish. It's Dish.

Nielsen identifies a show using an embedded signal which they match against the time slot info provided by the network. The name on a 3rd party guide has nothing to do with it.

Bingo. Also, they repackage old content and program segments into "new" shows, which then get recorded by my Hopper, along with the occasional actual new show. I no longer record and watch Pawn Stars because of this.

The guide for Fox News Channel (205) is messed up for this coming Friday. The guide shows the correct shows. However, if you have a timer set for a daily show, none of the timers are set for Friday.

I am considering starting a new thread on shows cutting of the last couple of minutes. It has been an issue forever, but seems to happen much more frequently even when you add time at the end.

When I record Shooter on USA, I get 2 minutes of the previous program at the beginning and have to make up on the end. With an VIP612 I don't have the luxury of doing this for every program.
It's also possible the shows actually start/end a couple minutes past the hour. That has been done LONG before DVRs.

If I start a new thread maybe we could figure out some of the reasons. Is it more prevalent on certain channels. With OTA channels is it due to satellite delay? Does anyone think it is worth the effort?
OTA satellite delay should be ~10 seconds. OTA to a tuner is ~4 seconds.

Here you go...
6a00d8341d368753ef01b8d2bc84a9970c-800wi

:)

I guess having fewer recording options available in the software could be considered incompetence. I'm glad my ViP receiver isn't hampered by crippled software.

Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay