FTA Newbie needs some help and advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hesnodgrass

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
Hello all,

What a great site and set of forums. Great information. First I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I have some newbie questions that I hope someone can answer for me. I am getting ready to buy a complete Fortec Star classic FTA motorized system from Sadoun and need some help and advice on installation. Here goes...

1 - How hard is it to get a motorized system dialed in and what type of equipment would I need to install it? I have installed a number of Directv systems with a compass so I know the basics but I have never dealt with a motorized system yet.

2 - How wide of a path does the motorized system travel? I was trying to put the dish on the back of my house versus the roof, which faces southwest but was worried it may need too much side to side clearance. Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Harry

1. Your previous experience will come in handy. You will need a level to ensure the pole is plumb (vertical) in all directions and a compass to help find your true south satellite. I simply told the motor to go to my true south satellite, then turned the motor back and forth on the pole until I peaked my signal. After that, a little fine tuning of elevation of the dish on the motor and it was all set up.

2. The dish will swing around 70-80 degrees max either side of south. You probably won't need to go that far. Certainly not for most of the common satellites. The dish tilts over as well at the extremes.

Hello all,

What a great site and set of forums. Great information. First I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I have some newbie questions that I hope someone can answer for me. I am getting ready to buy a complete Fortec Star classic FTA motorized system from Sadoun and need some help and advice on installation. Here goes...

1 - How hard is it to get a motorized system dialed in and what type of equipment would I need to install it? I have installed a number of Directv systems with a compass so I know the basics but I have never dealt with a motorized system yet.

2 - How wide of a path does the motorized system travel? I was trying to put the dish on the back of my house versus the roof, which faces southwest but was worried it may need too much side to side clearance. Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Harry

Where do you live? If you have a true south satellite it simplifies things. The most important tool you need is patience - it took me many hours to get my first motorized system going :)

1. Your previous experience will come in handy. You will need a level to ensure the pole is plumb (vertical) in all directions and a compass to help find your true south satellite. I simply told the motor to go to my true south satellite, then turned the motor back and forth on the pole until I peaked my signal. After that, a little fine tuning of elevation of the dish on the motor and it was all set up.

2. The dish will swing around 70-80 degrees max either side of south. You probably won't need to go that far. Certainly not for most of the common satellites. The dish tilts over as well at the extremes.

Make sure your motor and receiver work with USALS .

Go to Harbor Freight & get an angle finder - inclinometer (sp) .

Set the scale on the motor mount to your latatude .

Do a google search for a program - java script called sat finder . Enter your zipcode . Look up the angle for your due south sat for your location .

Using the angle finder , adjust the elevation of the dish to the angle you looked up on sat finder .

As described above , use the receiver to command the motor to the position of your due south sat . Start tweeking from there .

Make sure that with the motor arm in the center or reference position , that the dish is mounted to the dish arm so both are 100% pointed the same way ( due south geographic , not magnetic ) .

Wyr

Status
Please reply by conversation.