FTA wannabe Newbie in Puerto RIco

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WE Schmidt

Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
Rincon, PR
Hello all,

Longtime DN subscriber, but they recently dropped the National PBS feed and my local PBS affiliate has been off air for most of the last year. Most of the other DN programming I can get by streaming for a fraction of the cost per month, so planning on 86'ing DN but would like to still use the 2 - 120 cm x 130 cm dishes I have on my roof, one for AMC 21 (PBS) and the other for ??? Anyway, before I get on Amazon I thought it prudent to solicit guidance from you good folks. I've spent a few days reading the FAQs, etc. and "think" I know what I'm doing. For instance, the minimum dish diameter for AMC 21 in PR is 35.4", (same for Galaxy 19), so I think I'm good there. I know I need new LNBF and bracket (SL1PLL -GeosatPro?), a switch if I use both dishes with a single receiver (Ecoda 22 kHz ?), and a receiver (this one maybe? -DVB S2 HD). Any gaping holes in this plan? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

:welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!!

Looks like you have it figured out for the most part. I would just you a 4x1 DiSEqC switch. Amiko makes a nice basic receiver for what you want, that just works.

:welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!!

Looks like you have it figured out for the most part. I would just you a 4x1 DiSEqC switch. Amiko makes a nice basic receiver for what you want, that just works.

Thanks KE4EST. That Amiko receiver does look nice, does it support AC3 audio?

Reactions: wvman
Hello all,

Longtime DN subscriber, but they recently dropped the National PBS feed and my local PBS affiliate has been off air for most of the last year. Most of the other DN programming I can get by streaming for a fraction of the cost per month, so planning on 86'ing DN but would like to still use the 2 - 120 cm x 130 cm dishes I have on my roof, one for AMC 21 (PBS) and the other for ??? Anyway, before I get on Amazon I thought it prudent to solicit guidance from you good folks. I've spent a few days reading the FAQs, etc. and "think" I know what I'm doing. For instance, the minimum dish diameter for AMC 21 in PR is 35.4", (same for Galaxy 19), so I think I'm good there. I know I need new LNBF and bracket (SL1PLL -GeosatPro?), a switch if I use both dishes with a single receiver (Ecoda 22 kHz ?), and a receiver (this one maybe? -DVB S2 HD). Any gaping holes in this plan? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

as far as content, are you considering only stuff in English? Or Spanish too? There Spanish-language channels on Hispasat @30W (Spain, Cuba, Argentina)

for the receiver, I strongly recommend the Amiko. I've had one for a year and a half and it's very stable and easy to use. It does do AC3. The newer model also receives h.265 video.

125W will be a bit low on the western horizon (about 20 degrees elevation) - make sure you have a clear line of sight in that direction. Also the signal in PR is a bit weaker than on the mainland US, hopefully 120cm is enough but you can't be certain until you try. Don't believe the "minimum dish size" guidance on the websites, it's usually true for full-power channels in DVB-S modulation. DVB-S2 requires a bit more, and some transponders don't transmit at full power... 125W reception is notoriously touchy. But still worth trying since you already have the dishes. And the video quality on those PBS feeds is excellent.

Hey Brct203,

Thanks for the info on Hispasat. We get a lot of Spanish content "in real time", but always open to new stuff. I'm hopeful we're good on 125W, worst case scenario is streaming PBS and 2 other FTA sats I guess! Thanks for the info. PS - ordering the Amiko mañana...

You really can't do better than the Amiko HD.265...I have one and it is greater than sliced bread - Easy to use and the dealer who sells it very easy to deal with and will answer any questions you have about it -

as far as content, are you considering only stuff in English? Or Spanish too? There Spanish-language channels on Hispasat @30W (Spain, Cuba, Argentina)

for the receiver, I strongly recommend the Amiko. I've had one for a year and a half and it's very stable and easy to use. It does do AC3. The newer model also receives h.265 video.

125W will be a bit low on the western horizon (about 20 degrees elevation) - make sure you have a clear line of sight in that direction. Also the signal in PR is a bit weaker than on the mainland US, hopefully 120cm is enough but you can't be certain until you try. Don't believe the "minimum dish size" guidance on the websites, it's usually true for full-power channels in DVB-S modulation. DVB-S2 requires a bit more, and some transponders don't transmit at full power... 125W reception is notoriously touchy. But still worth trying since you already have the dishes. And the video quality on those PBS feeds is excellent.

Yes 125W is touchy!

Status
Please reply by conversation.