Ok, here is what I got on 110 using the following settings

LO at 10750
Using L side of my QPH-031
Blindscan of 110w, ALL polarity, ALL SR, 11700-12700

I got 3 hits that showed up as Learn1, 2 and 3 on TP 11846 H SR 20003
Nothing comes in, just black

119w, same settings, I got nothing to log or even hit on signal

edit:
Scanned 121, obviously, got a lot of hits, but I didn't find any ppv previews or anything that would make me think it's ppv.

Last edited:
If you are using one of the online salellite calculators to get your compass directions to popint your dish, remember that they (in most cases) will give you true directions and not magnetic directions. A compas points to magnetic north and not true north. You will need to add or subtract a value (depending on your location) to find out where you should point your dish. When using a compass, be carefull to not hold it near any metal or it will not give an accurate reading. When you have your compass ponted at where whitesprings should be for your location, pick a feature on the horizon to point your dish at. Stand behind your dish and point the arm holding the LNBF at this feature on the horizon. Now make sure you have your reciver set with the values for Whitesprings tv and are on the active transponder. After checking that you have the dish elevation set to the value for your location for whitesprings, VERY SLOWLY move the dish from left to right, then back l;eft and right again while checking the signal quality on your tv. Move the dish about 20 degrees left and right from your spot on the horizon and if you do not get any signal then raise the elevation of the dish VERY SLIGHTLY and repeat. If after a few tries you still do not get a signal, try lowering the elevation and repeat. I found it easier to point at G10R first, and then to turn the dish a little to the west and lower the elevation slightly. Just double check your settings in the receiver and make sure you are on an active transponder when adjusting the dish. If your reciver is not set to an active transponder, then you will get no signal when you are actually pointed at the satellite. It takes a LOT of patience and, as you have already found out, can be very frustrating. Just keep trying and you will eventually find it.
In one of my experiances in setting up a Bell dish, I had set the elevation to the front of the bolt to line up with the stamped numbers on the scale and missed the small mark on the other side of the bolt where it was supposed to be aligned to. It was very frustrating and time consuming, but eventually I moved the elevation enough to get a signal. And this was while up a tv tower about 20 feet trying to align the dish. Due to where I was on the tower, the small mark for the elevation was hidden and not easily seen. A fifteen minute job turned out to be about 4 hours. (and sore feet from standing on the tower all that time. Anyways, what this points out is sometimes we assume one thing as correct, and untill you start moving adjustment and scaning the dish back and forth it is not realized that it was set way out from where it should be.
Keep trying, and don't give up.

Please list your settings in the reciver for they can be checked. Please also state your zip code or location for your settings can be checked.

Ok, here is what I got on 110 using the following settings

LO at 10750
Using L side of my QPH-031
Blindscan of 110w, ALL polarity, ALL SR, 11700-12700

I got 3 hits that showed up as Learn1, 2 and 3 on TP 11846 H SR 20003
Nothing comes in, just black

you're getting AnikF2 at 111.1 ;)

Well, than, I got nothing off 110 linear, Got some serious bleed from 111.1 the, dang it came it at like 90% quality on the Trio.

Heck I scanned everything from 110 to 129. I couldn't find anything that even resembled a PPV loop. So I can't figure out where he is pointing.

Satinkzo

A Universal LNB goes from 10700-12750 (actually I think it goes to 12900) so if you have a Universal and scan all it picks up the DBS stuff if its strong. I use to have that issue with my UNiversal LNB. When I scanned G11 I would get Nimiq1 too.

The Coolsat's (and other boxes) have a limit on the frequency range to scan. But I know my Pansat if you have a UNiversal will scan the whole LNB limit.
Here in the US 12.2-12.75 is DBS but in other parts of the world its still KU :)

Intersting to know. I never experienced it and just out of my times of scanning and stuff that things seemed odd that suzzie got so many ppv's that he mentioned. Not saying it was illegal stuff, but just seemed like he was way off on aiming.

I'm gonna have to put my testing setup back up and hook a universal to it. I am curious how this happens with universals and gets logged in the 13000 range like others said.

The Trio likes to scan up to 12700 or 12800 if I let it.

The only way it scans to 13000 is two ways
-wrong LNB LO set
-Stacked DBS LNB which puts the H side as V and at a higher frequency (around 13000)

i put in the info for white springs tv into IA7 129w in the beginning but never added or changed any of the other sat info just tried to scan with the info that is in it with the factory file. maybe thats the problem. the IA7 info is freq. 11964H, symbol rate 2920mbps. how do i find out the symbol rate of a transponder? i get the transponder info from Lyngsat but don't see the symbol rate. If someone can please tell me this i can try it.
also i need to know if im useing a compass rite or not. i have the arrow on N and count back counterclockwise to the west to the degree i need and then place a flat stick across the compass from the center,useing the center pin of the compass as center,across to the degree im looking for and the stick points in the direction im looking for . rite or wrong?
thanks to everyone for the help,i truly appreciate it.
suzzie

i have only the white springs tp in the sat info of G27 (T-7) which is 11964H, 2920 SR,129W my lnb is Panorama ER-783L, KU universal, RF 10.70/12.75 GHZ, IF 950/2150 MHZ, LO 9750/10.600 GHZ, gain 55Db
can't find the thing,must be the size of a pea
according to lyngsat this bird has little programming,only white springs tv and star band.
Is anyone recieving white springs tv programing at the present time?
thanks for all the help:suzzie
ps: i don't give up

Compass

Suzzie -- I don't think you need to enter the symbol rate; your stb will provide that when you scan the channel in. From your description, I can't understand whether or not you are using your compass correctly. Common sense will tell you that South will be 180° from North 0°. You cannot just point your dish in the approximate direction; your aim will have to be "dead on" to the nearest centimeter. The compass will only point you in the general direction. So you will need to SLOWLY move your dish up-down-left-right until you pick up a solid signal from 11964H.

(Have you tried getting signals from G10R -- that satellite is much easier to locate at 123° ?)

also i need to know if im useing a compass rite or not. i have the arrow on N and count back counterclockwise to the west to the degree i need and then place a flat stick across the compass from the center,useing the center pin of the compass as center,across to the degree im looking for and the stick points in the direction im looking for . rite or wrong?
thanks to everyone for the help,i truly appreciate it.
suzzie

SatinKzo, my magnetic declination is 4degrees 44" W do i add the 4 degrees or subtract from 129W to find G27

also when i edit transponders it ask for the symbol rate,were do i find them? i think the tp's in my reciever are inactive,useing factory bin. the ones i have aren't showing at lyngsat. just a guess, may be the prob.

morning suzzie,

Here is a good site for all the info for stuff in North American
http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html
Here is the info from that page for White Springs

Pol-MHz I. F. FEC S . R. VPID APID 129.0 West Galaxy 27 (T-7)
H-11964 1214 1/2 02.920 4194 4195 WHITE SPRINGS TV

As for compass, you are probably reading it fine, but are you taking into account the declination of your area?
GeoMagnetic Calculator
or
GSC - Geomagnetism - Magnetic declination calculator

Last edited:
The website that gave you the 4° will indicate +/- or add/subtract somewhere on the page. For instance, Georgia add (+4°), Texas (-4°).

Hey suzzie, I think you symbol rate quesiton got answered in the new thread you started.

SatinKzo, my magnetic declination is 4degrees 44" W do i add the 4 degrees or subtract from 129W to find G27

Just to clarify something... Are you using the orbital location as the azimuth?

Try this satellite calculator.
Install your System Locating Satellites Antenna Look Angles @ Kusat.com
Use the look angle calculator 1 for standard oval dish.
The value it calculates is true and not magnetic. Use the link in the lower right hand corner to see if you need to add or subtract to get your compass reading. Once you have your compass heading, magnetic north will be 360 deg. and south will be 180 deg. Set your board across the scale on the compass on the reading you require. This will be pointing in the direction you need to point your dish to. Also as mentioned in previous posts, this will get you close and you need to turn the dish left and right to get a signal. The markings on compasses are very small, and you can easily be out 4 or 5 degrees by how you place your board across the compass. Just remember, any metal around the compass will cause it not to point exactly at magnetic north.

Many dishes have inaccurate elevation scales stamped on the mount, you might have to SLOWLY move the dish up and down (elevation), then east-west (azimuth) until you find the signal.

I hardly ever rely on a compass, unless I'm out in the woods and there are no other dishes or landmarks to judge South by. They cause more confusion than anything else.

Larry1, i didn't understand the calculater you sugested, it only said Nan,what ever that meens. i probebly did it wrong. acording to lyngsat,the sat tracker tells me that my location is 82.32W 29.18N, azimuth is 245.15 elevation 29.18 when tracking Galaxy 27 at 129W. im in North central Florida zip 32139 if you could tell me the degree i need i would appreciate it. I do use a sat meter and scan every thing that has even a slight variation in the scale or sound and still come up blank,no hits scanning FTA only. i have only the white springs TP in my sat info for G27. i have a few of the tp's listed at lyngsat for G10R in its info. I never get anything at all on the Quatity scale when moveing the dish around. I do get blank DN channels from what probebly one of the Echo sats even with a universal lnb. so i would think that the thing is working rite.
im at a loss but still not ready to quite.
thanks for everyones help:suzzie

Hello, I have only read your reply today, so I am sorry I could not get the information back to you in a more timely manor. The azumith is the reading in which you point your dish. From the link of the magnetic deviation chart, you add to your azumith to get your compass heading. (from the chart in the link, it appears to add 2 degress). Different charts show different values.
For Whitesprings
Your compass heading will be 245.15 + 2 + 247.15
Your dish elevation will be 29.18
Your calculations look to be correct. Some of the others on this forum should be able to verify them as well using your zip code.
I have found G10R easier to point at, so you might want to try aiming at it first for practice.

22khz -ON- for universal

Couple of months ago, I was looking for Whitesprings on a little 20" dish with a universal LNB.
I used a compass and some nearby subscription dishes to get an idea where to point.
My test-mast was off-plumb by 20º (see first picture!).
Using a $10 signal meter, I think I found the satellite on my second try, and peaked the reading.
Not sure how 61 signal and 59 quality ranks on the meter of the Satpros 500, but reception was fine.

So, pretty much nothing above is the proper way to go about getting the signal.
The one thing I did right, was to have the 22khz tone turned on while searching.

If this map is right, you have as good a signal down in Florida, as I do in southern California.
Your bigger dish will have a little tighter beam width, so it'll be a bit more critical to aim.

PS: for dealing with the magnetic correction, I use any one of the many sat finder programs which include that correction.
So, you never have to worry about whether you add or subtract the offset.

ref: White Springs - Engineering

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)