General Sports Trivia

Don't think it has ever been done.

Ding, Ding, Ding! You are correct. This was a trick question. :clap

I heard this stat and was shocked that it has never been done before. I guess that goes to show what a challenge Augusta National really is!

Yesterday's winner, Trevor Immelman was flirting with achieving that feat going into Sunday with a 68, 68, 69, but then finished the day with a 75.

The octopus, and it's 8 arms represent the number of victories it took to win the Stanley Cup, during the era of the "Original Six". As you know, it now requires 16 wins, so we just throw more octopi! I hope that clears that up for you.
I was at Saturday's game against Nashville, and the first octopus hit the ice during the National Anthem, and the crowd went crazy. The second one came after the first goal. A guy named Al Sabotka picks them off the ice and swings over his head as he exits the ice. It's a Detroit "thing".

The octopus, and it's 8 arms represent the number of victories it took to win the Stanley Cup, during the era of the "Original Six". As you know, it now requires 16 wins, so we just throw more octopi! I hope that clears that up for you.
I was at Saturday's game against Nashville, and the first octopus hit the ice during the National Anthem, and the crowd went crazy. The second one came after the first goal. A guy named Al Sabotka picks them off the ice and swings over his head as he exits the ice. It's a Detroit "thing".
20070429181900.jpeg
610x.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks Paul. I had heard the reason years ago, but I couldn't remember. Two more questions, 1) are they dead when they are throw on to the ice and 2) where in the hell do you get an octopus?

Thanks Paul. I had heard the reason years ago, but I couldn't remember. Two more questions, 1) are they dead when they are throw on to the ice and 2) where in the hell do you get an octopus?

I've seen whole octopus sold at Whole Foods Market here in NE Ohio. Plus you can usually go to a fresh seafood market to find them. I'd imagine even Michigan has a few vendors to chose from.....

I've seen whole octopus sold at Whole Foods Market here in NE Ohio. Plus you can usually go to a fresh seafood market to find them. I'd imagine even Michigan has a few vendors to chose from.....

No, actually we don't. We drive all the way to OHIO to buy them.:D
Jim, I'm %99.999 sure them babies are dead before they hit the ice. You have to sneek them in, or have some cooperation from somebody at the door. I for one, would not in a million years shove a live octopus done my pants (or a dead one for that matter!), so that I could can have the pleasure of throwing it onto the ice.

What former MLB pitcher gave up one of the most famous homers in history and won the first game for a 1990s expansion team?

Charlie Hough - gave up Reggie Jackson's third home run in game 6 of the 1977 World Series, and was the winning pitcher for the Florida Marlins' debut win over the Dodgers in 1993. :)

According to the "Where Are They Now" segment on Sports Time Ohio, who is the only player in Major League history to hit two bases loaded triples in one game?

Elmer Valvo

On May 1, 1949, Valo became the first player in the American League to hit two bases-loaded triples in a game. He added a third bases-loaded triple in the same season, to tie the mark set by Shano Collins in 1918. Years later, the mark of two bases-loaded triples in a game has been matched only by Bill Bruton (NL, 1979) and Duane Kuiper (AL, 1978).

%2AElmer_Valo_52_Topps-034.jpg

Q: Name The First U.S. Born Player To Win The Conn Smythe Trophy And What Year Was This Awarded?
Brian Leetch....1993-1994 season....In fact, Leetch is the ONLY American born player to win the award.
Nicklas Lidstrom (2001-'02) is the only European born winner of the award

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)