Genie and HDCP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kovach

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
St. Louis
Thinking of upgrading from my H22's to either Genie or HR24s.

Concerned about HDCP, I understand its more heavily enforced on the Genie and I tend to record a lot of DVDs on my DVD recorder.

Will I run into issues here?? Or will the fact this is going to my DVD recorder via cables that aren't capable of HD negate any possible problems??

Somewhat helpful, although much of the DVD-R talk was concerning the HR24; the Genie being a different machine, and from what I read, more HDCP enforcement so still a bit concerned.

I thought the HDCP enforcement came from the provider/channel. Of course the hardware has to be compliant.

No, HDCP enforcement is in the hardware. The premium movie channels had requested HDCP some time ago and that's what is implemented in DirecTV DVRS. The genie and clients enforce HDCP on all signals over HDMI (maybe not on OTA signals from an AM21, I haven't tried it).

If it was the hardware doing it, then all channels would have issues with HDCP. It's mostly the premium channels that have problems. Like I said, the hardware has to be compliant, but the channel has to send the signal.

Even though I posted in that thread, I don't remember it! Thanks for the info.

The recording issue isn't all about HDCP - it is about macrovision as well. I have COMPOSITE cables coming out of an R22 and into a stand alone sony DVD recorder, and on some channels when I try to archive off the hard drive the recorder will come back with "cannot record copyrighted material"... sometimes it is not all of the shows on a particular channel as well. For shyts and giggles I even converted to RF and went into the tuner input on the recorder and the macrovision signal was still there. This happens if an HDMI cable is in place or not. Lucky for me, i happen to have an old SIMA "digital video stabilizer" intended to copy from vhs or dvd to dvd, and it eliminates all of my problems trying to archive from any channel i have recorded.

Yes, macrovision is going to continue to be an issue.

So currently I have my R22 HDMI run through my Home Theater receiver and HDMI out of that to my TV. And S-Video and R/L audio cables run from the R22 to my DVD-R. Everything works like a charm.

I'm assuming that'll work the same with the HR24...but all the HDCP talk about the Genie concerns me...I'm thinking I better go with the HR24s unless someone can convince me there won't be a problem with the Genie.

That will work OK with the Hr24 (except for premium move channels). With the Genie, it depends.... When you put the HDMI-connected TV to standby, many of them then fail the HDCP compliance test and that will switch off ALL video from the Genie. You can solve this by connecting a powered HDMI splitter to the Genie, Monoprice etc have suitable models. Leave one port open. When the TV goes to standby, the splitter maintains HDCP compliance so the sd video stays switched on.

I'm gonna give you some help without going into detail. That way I keep the board out of trouble. Google one term----- "hd fury"....... Just saying.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)