GEOSATpro HDVR3500 - New DVBS2 STB - Photos and Initial Testing

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Bill,
Dare 2 Dream has been discontinued from Galaxy 19 satellite. It is available through HDVR3500, as you have mentioned.

Let me explain the streaming issue with costs of data and bandwidth. Broadcasters pay very high rates for IPTV streaming and have setup an automatic program that will disrupt the stream that is untouched for some time. Different broadcasters have different time-out settings depending on their budgets.

Interrupted IPTV stream has nothing to do with HDVR3500 or any other receiver. Please understand that if no one is watching the stream, the cost can be staggering.

IPTV stream is just like a telephone connection, it costs money to the broadcaster. Just for the record, there is no privacy in IPTV, every connection is traceable and identifiable.

IPTV technology is not like satellite. Every stream costs money. I would like you to consider that with any stream. Satellite technology has no bottleneck, it can stream to as many receivers as possible, where IPTV will cost for every connection. Please confirm that you understand this fact.

I was aware that a satellite uplink and broadcast is probably a flat cost. I was aware that streaming has a cost, but not that each stream was calculated and paid for by the provider based on time of stream.
With the above in mind, it seems obvious that 3abn decided to save the cost of up linking D2D to G19 and pay for the variable streaming costs of an unknown quantity of streaming time. I'm not here to bash them for that, nor you for your work on this box.

The man I'm supporting in rebroadcasting this media has a studio a couple miles from his transmitter. The transmitter is on the roof of a 7 floor hotel overlooking the city. The 1200 getting G19 worked for a few months until D2D went away. Now, I'm just looking for options for helping him continue. I plan another 2 hr. trip to visit with him and evaluate his method for getting other video signal to the transmitter. We can probably arrange a way to get D2D into the broadcast feed from his studio.

My attention was returned to the 3500 as a potential fix for his situation. Your info above is pivotal in my research for him. Thank you. It is like pulling teeth to get that kind of info from Moses.

I wish to update the 3500 I have (which is not like the ones being shipped now) next week and revisit it's function. It is still not consistent, so we rarely turn it on. Not wanting to burden you nor Aaron, if you have time please send a link to the latest update here or email. I don't think I'm supposed to post it here. You have it in the office. I can copy it to a jump drive from my computer and install in the 3500. Online or satellite update hasn't worked. Of course, it is connected to my network, so it should update from there.

Thanks for your time.

Bill

I was aware that a satellite uplink and broadcast is probably a flat cost. I was aware that streaming has a cost, but not that each stream was calculated and paid for by the provider based on time of stream.
With the above in mind, it seems obvious that 3abn decided to save the cost of up linking D2D to G19 and pay for the variable streaming costs of an unknown quantity of streaming time. I'm not here to bash them for that, nor you for your work on this box.

The man I'm supporting in rebroadcasting this media has a studio a couple miles from his transmitter. The transmitter is on the roof of a 7 floor hotel overlooking the city. The 1200 getting G19 worked for a few months until D2D went away. Now, I'm just looking for options for helping him continue. I plan another 2 hr. trip to visit with him and evaluate his method for getting other video signal to the transmitter. We can probably arrange a way to get D2D into the broadcast feed from his studio.

My attention was returned to the 3500 as a potential fix for his situation. Your info above is pivotal in my research for him. Thank you. It is like pulling teeth to get that kind of info from Moses.

I wish to update the 3500 I have (which is not like the ones being shipped now) next week and revisit it's function. It is still not consistent, so we rarely turn it on. Not wanting to burden you nor Aaron, if you have time please send a link to the latest update here or email. I don't think I'm supposed to post it here. You have it in the office. I can copy it to a jump drive from my computer and install in the 3500. Online or satellite update hasn't worked. Of course, it is connected to my network, so it should update from there.

Thanks for your time.

Bill
Bill, most broadcasters have private feeds set up for distribution. Please let Moses know that you are an affiliate and they will provide you with unlisted feed that has no time out.

The link to latest update: http://hdvrbox.com/up/gs/usb_update.bin

Also, email me sales@satelliteav.com if you need.

So, I downloaded the old remote update file that was posted a few pages back and the remote codes didn't work with the old Geosat remote. When I looked up the version, it says 1314 ...

Can you confirm 1311 is still sitting at that download link you posted?

So, I downloaded the old remote update file that was posted a few pages back and the remote codes didn't work with the old Geosat remote. When I looked up the version, it says 1314 ...

Can you confirm 1311 is still sitting at that download link you posted?
Martin, microHD remote firmware is permanently http://hdvrbox.com/up/gs/oldremote/usb_update.bin Firmware version is 1311. We will probably update it, but will keep the file in the same location.

Bill, most broadcasters have private feeds set up for distribution. Please let Moses know that you are an affiliate and they will provide you with unlisted feed that has no time out.

The link to latest update: http://hdvrbox.com/up/gs/usb_update.bin

Also, email me sales@satelliteav.com if you need.
I installed the firmware. Different set of issues and still not a functional set.
I emailed my concerns and requested support. No response.
I called. Left a detailed voice message. No response. I called and left a message with a live person. No response.
I just want a receive that works or my $$ back (some refer to a user's manual, but I've not seen one)
A 1200 would be welcome because I've had good luck with them. Too bad it looks like they are not available anymore.
Like Wildcat said 'looks like I'm out 165 dollars'.

I called. Left a detailed voice message. No response. I called and left a message with a live person. No response.
I just want a receive that works or my $$ back (some refer to a user's manual, but I've not seen one)
A 1200 would be welcome because I've had good luck with them. Too bad it looks like they are not available anymore.
Like Wildcat said 'looks like I'm out 165 dollars'.
Bill, you emailed on the weekend and I did receive your email and had not a chance to respond. You are welcome to replace the unit with 1200.

Please call me during business hours 7:30am-4:00 Pacific time - 888-483-4673, ask for Eugene or extension 8203.

Can you detail, what did not work? What is in particular that you are disappointed with?

Reactions: dougruss
Last night I shut off my Pro-3500 like always. The clock was displayed on the receiver like always. This morning I looked at the receiver and the front display was black with no time shown. The red light was on(I have it covered with black tape). No response from the remote control or the front panel power button. I turned off the rocker switch on back and turned it back on and the time came on after boot was displayed. Never before front display black after being turned off. Anyone else seen this on the 3500? Firmware version 1314.

The display blanked out a few times on my 3500 when it was having the overheat problem last year, due to the inadequate heat-sink and compound-[especially compound].

It would lock up constantly when the ambient temp was high, but it was only two or three times that it locked up with the display blanked out. I believe if I left it as it was, it would've eventually cooked the processor. That was with 922 firmware, which is what I'm still using now, though I and my daughter have changed a lot in it. 922 seemed the most stable firmware out of them all, to me.

I put on better compound along with a bigger heat-sink, I only strapped it down with wire or something, one of those things that I meant to eventually fix better, but it hasn't locked up since doing that, so I didn't bother. :biggrin

The display blanked out a few times on my 3500 when it was having the overheat problem last year, due to the inadequate heat-sink and compound-[especially compound].

It would lock up constantly when the ambient temp was high, but it was only two or three times that it locked up with the display blanked out. I believe if I left it as it was, it would've eventually cooked the processor. That was with 922 firmware, which is what I'm still using now, though I and my daughter have changed a lot in it. 922 seemed the most stable firmware out of them all, to me.

I put on better compound along with a bigger heat-sink, I only strapped it down with wire or something, one of those things that I meant to eventually fix better, but it hasn't locked up since doing that, so I didn't bother. :biggrin

Are you thinking very good compound with the original heat sink would be enough to keep it cool?

Are you thinking very good compound with the original heat sink would be enough to keep it cool?

Probably, the compound that was on the processor in my receiver only covered maybe a quarter of the chip and was more like hard silicone rather than compound, it wasn't doing much for cooling at all. There was a big gap between the processor and heat sink because the original compound was just a hard and thick glop off to one side.
I have a bunch of heat sinks here, so I didn't bother trying the original heat sink with good compound, I just replaced it with a bigger one. Think I took one out of an old plasma TV I was using for parts to fix another one at that time.

Eugene, a new member started a thread about an odd issue he's having with his HDVR3500, here's a link to the thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/hdvr3500-genuine-right-protect.358319/#post-3843632

He gets a popup notice on the screen that states "GENUINE RIGHT PROTECT" . Happens on all channels, sats, etc. Any ideas of what's wrong?
Thank you for heads up. This is due to security chip wrong rom version. I will replace their receiver under warranty.

Reactions: . Raine and FaT Air
I want to thank A Raine for suggesting to put a better heat sink on. Just as his box mine had the heat sink held on with just a dot of compound with 80% of the cpu not touching the heat sink. I pulled the old sink off and put a much larger one on with new quality compound. Seems much more stable now.

I want to thank A Raine for suggesting to put a better heat sink on. Just as his box mine had the heat sink held on with just a dot of compound with 80% of the cpu not touching the heat sink. I pulled the old sink off and put a much larger one on with new quality compound. Seems much more stable now.

You're welcome!

When I was having the locking up problem, I was thinking that it was software, because I'd messed with and changed a bunch of stuff in the receiver and it started for me right after that, figured I'd messed something up.

A member here on SatGuys, N6BY, told me about the heat sink not being installed correctly on his HDVR3500 and suggested that I should check and make sure my HDVR3500 wasn't just overheating, and that's what it was. :)

Reactions: N6BY
My initial testing seems the same every 2 years; so I will keep myself short. As we all know GlEOSATpro has been a stallworth supporter of satellite tv and Free to Air satellite tv. In general, free to air receivers have had very open minded menu's and control's.

What I found is the same thinking; small box; easy to use interface; more featurism using computer; then the word PC hits you like a ton of bricks; and network communications classes you have printed in a manual. All the Glorystar manuals have been very precise in the past; IPTV breaks the mold. It is also the hog that broke the satellite tv guys back, as a PC is mandatory. Satellite TV also had 50 MB download; land line keyboard modem (phone) back in 1984.

Free Satellite TV channels; once the satellite dish is installed; to watch fta channels nobody will ever be required to sign a contract; never pay a monthly fee $ again; nor have to get a credit check -> IS NOT A STRETCH

Once again; now put up with some looming internet tv facts; they make you pay for the free tv in the long run typed thinking (looming is Companies like Google TV and Apple TV and etc.); let alone the ability for you to pay for internet tv channels ONE AT A TIME; or PPV; or LIVE TV; which is on the majors using a local antenna. And the majors get it to you a day late if you use internet tv, keeping a very highly valued piece of the tv puzzler.

cost using Internet TV/Browser vs. appl. of data use -> cost of internet is controlled by your client's provider and has very real "limit's" already to get it on; adding 100's and 1000's of dollars for data use (as like goin' 900 was in the 90's); which the providers call hogs and turn watching into a chore rather than a easy button (this here is mutinous).

So, as a now retired satellite guy; IM goin to watch what I like kodi at Free Macdonalds WIFI.

!) do not put STB inside enclosed cabinet unless temp. controlled (and expect it to last a year or more like the others?) how is the 5 year warranty add-on going to work?
2) if you programmed it, it better be a very "safed" filing of install and expertise
3) Use it as a mobile wifi tv receiver and nothing else
(im kidding- just improve it every time you "upgrade" video/audio systems; studio's!!!@@@
4) And no keyboard for it??????

So yes, I am always impressed by a new satellite receiver; but it is because I get a new one every few years. Not because they are better; but because I am better off if I do.

Reactions: SatelliteAV
Never thought of Sling Box. Thanks, that make sense to me now.
Team, I posted 1314 as default update to correct back the buttons. Minor adjustment to recording feature included as well.
Please go to Menu > Manager > Version > Online Upgrade and select firmware once connected. Those who have auto update turned on, will just get the message the firmware is ready to install, click ok.

Please let me know any performance issues.

Pending resolution: 22Khz leak and Disceqc command leak over 22Khz. Should be resolved shortly.

Please tell me what you did with 1311/1314 to fix my recording to internal USB drive? It's been working perfectly since these series of updates. Didn't record much with 1311 before I downloaded 1314, but it was working great with 1311 also. Since end of January have had 0 issues recording to internal(or external) drives. Great job guys!!

Please tell me what you did with 1311/1314 to fix my recording to internal USB drive? It's been working perfectly since these series of updates. Didn't record much with 1311 before I downloaded 1314, but it was working great with 1311 also. Since end of January have had 0 issues recording to internal(or external) drives. Great job guys!!
The issue was mainly with the timer not properly initiating. Second issue was incorrect function of the self management feature, where receiver can be set to remove old recordings when the drive becomes full. Well, we had a slight riot when someone lost favorite recording. We disabled the feature and it is no longer on by default. Also for Australian customers we separated user database for satellites and LNB settings from the channel list, because we have too many LNB types in Australia and NZ.

Currently we have very minor questions pending, but it's mostly educational and how to use the receiver.

I appreciate the good report.

Reactions: chadg2
Hi,,,,I have been waiting for a fix on this box regarding the 22KHz problem since Jan 21, 2016....I think it would be nice to be able to use it since I spent my hard earned money on it....Is there a fix or not? If not I would like my money back....I feel I have been very patient and think I deserve a unit that works right.... Here was your last response many moons ago....JJ

Pending resolution: 22Khz leak and Disceqc command leak over 22Khz. Should be resolved shortly.

Hi,,,,I have been waiting for a fix on this box regarding the 22KHz problem since Jan 21, 2016....I think it would be nice to be able to use it since I spent my hard earned money on it....Is there a fix or not? If not I would like my money back....I feel I have been very patient and think I deserve a unit that works right.... Here was your last response many moons ago....JJ

Sir, spent three hours on the issue today, working on it, expecting resolve.

Please, do me a favor and describe your issue one more time in detail.

What firmware do you have? Make sure you have latest firmware 1314

Thank you

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)

Latest posts