getting my first dvr hooked up tommorrow

Two suggestions for you. #1 do not take a 622 but insist on a 722. Period end of that discussion. It would be like excepting a 720 display when a 1080p display is available. #2, after the tech leaves call someone that has had the same DVR for awhile and have him or her show you what the tech didn't. From what I have seen in the past that will be a lot.

i am getting a 722 now,thanks for the advice,everyone here has been really helpful

I have two 722's and I love them but as far as VOD, have been buying more from my Apple TV than Dish. Unless I want a 1080P event. Although do rent from both also use Quiricity on my Sony blue ray player. My biggest gripe with Netflix is most of what they have have seen months before either on blue ray rental or other sources.

it doesn't matter how many titles they have ... and it would make it potentially much worse as they add stuff..

(to elaborate ... with visual aides)

Case in point, my example 21 instances of "Live Performances" and you'd have to cursor in to every single instance just to find out who the performer was? Even popular shows are listed the same way as instances of said Show (left hand side, with rectangular box identifying "the show") and requiring you to cursor into each episode to find what each one is.. rather than listing in a lengthwise format...

I found very few cases of shows listing some form of ID differently .. case in point.. BBCA - Dr Who ... each brick down the left side showed DR Who 5.01 / 5.02 / 5.03 / 5.04 and 5.12

But for the most part.. any "show" or listing that had multiple episodes were just stupidily listed as "that show" all down the left side.. screen pictures of some of those ...

Show "Get Out" ... 1 of 4 ... have to go into each to see what they are?

Attack of the Show 1 of 7 ... so cursor 6 more times just to find out an episode number, or name, or what not..

You like Harry Potter? I hope so.. cause there's 20 instances and you have no idea if its a making of, or if its dvd extra or only 13 mins like this shot shows.. 1 of 20

Like a bit of music video entertainment? sure 1 of 16 called "Music Video" oh.. the first one is Darius Rucker (or as everyone else knows him "Hooty and the blowfish that hooty guy" so the other 15 are??? get out your cursor thumb... you're going to need it.

or check out clips on Video Games .... 33 to choose from.. all called "Video Games"

I hope that clears up the "what the hell is he talking about" problems ... I probably should have posted it that way the first time ... I mean really does this stuff ever sink in, to people at Dish?

and then I've got two more gripes on the whole VOD thing (as pertains to 722k) ... 1 ... what "back" key are they talking about? The Skip back and Rewind/back buttons don't work... only the "Cancel" button does, and of course who thinks "Cancel" should also mean "Back - up one level"? and exactly how does "Tron Legacy" fit into a listing of VOD "By Network" its a full length movie, and it actually worked its way in the "Browse by Network" ???

This is all stuff that points out how bad dish really is at actually putting together a working system from an idea. The Examples of stuff above.. wouldn't have made it past BETA if they really cared about what they were doing, you break off these technologies into working groups ... you add people from other departments as needed for their help or the role they currently play .... and you solve these problems .. *before* rolling out a hap hazzardly thrown together interface, with both visual and functionality issues addressed, rather than sitting a chimp in front of a dart board "what idea do we put out today bubbles?" dart is thrown ... AH today its VOD ... tomorrow what? Whole home DVR? I can't wait to hear the problems with sling extenders..​

Complain much?

And isn't VOD why we purchased Blockbuster. Now they just need some time to organize and integrate it

Complain much?
He's not complaining. He is illustrating a point many have to the OP,and why if buying a DVR for the VOD you might be disappointed. Complaining is when you post that someone is complaining too much. :D:D

He's not complaining. He is illustrating a point many have to the OP,and why if buying a DVR for the VOD you might be disappointed. Complaining is when you post that someone is complaining too much. :D:D

i have thought about it and i have missed out on some things i wanted to watch, if i don't like the VOD i think being able to record will come in handy as well

i have thought about it and i have missed out on some things i wanted to watch, if i don't like the VOD i think being able to record will come in handy as well
Believe me.. once you get hooked on DVR ... there's no going back. Monday nights .. I've got Fox, NBC, and ABC 6 shows that need recording all on 2 by 2 (8 to 9, 9 to 10, 10 to 11, 2 shows each hour, different channels)

The biggest complaints about DVR ... which will hopefully clear up quickly now that Tivo/Dish have a settlment ... are the annoyances in FF/Rew and skip/pause functions (skip not working, going back too far for no understandable reason) .... and I would also point out .. get an EHD ... they are relatively cheap ... 60 bucks for a 1 gig external hard drive, 80 to 129 for a 2 gig (good on 722k/922).

The point isn't *if* you'll have an on board drive problem, but when. And I mean that to encompass both drive (or receiver) failure and drive going full (thanks sis, thanks wife, thanks junior, etc). Even for non-drive failures, some other receiver issue could take your receiver away.. and if you don't regularly back up to EHD you'll lose. (I just had a swap done on my 722k ... drive was fine, but the only way I could have kept a few shows that I've not had time to watch yet ... is by EHD!)

Anyway.. good luck on getting hooked.. :) you'll find using it in many different ways to help you squeeze those extra shows in when you're not able to normally watch. (can't wait till we see you posting you want a THREE Tuner DVR ... LOL)

The biggest complaints about DVR ... which will hopefully clear up quickly now that Tivo/Dish have a settlment ... are the annoyances in FF/Rew and skip/pause functions (skip not working, going back too far for no understandable reason) .... and I would also point out .. get an EHD ... they are relatively cheap ... 60 bucks for a 1 gig external hard drive, 80 to 129 for a 2 gig (good on 722k/922).
QUOTE]

I think you meant 1 TB (1000 gigs) and 2 TB (2000 gigs). 1 or 2 gigs don't give you much capacity when you record HD;)

Believe me.. once you get hooked on DVR ... there's no going back. Monday nights .. I've got Fox, NBC, and ABC 6 shows that need recording all on 2 by 2 (8 to 9, 9 to 10, 10 to 11, 2 shows each hour, different channels)

The point isn't *if* you'll have an on board drive problem, but when. And I mean that to encompass both drive (or receiver) failure and drive going full (thanks sis, thanks wife, thanks junior, etc). Even for non-drive failures, some other receiver issue could take your receiver away.. and if you don't regularly back up to EHD you'll lose. (I just had a swap done on my 722k ... drive was fine, but the only way I could have kept a few shows that I've not had time to watch yet ... is by EHD!)

Anyway.. good luck on getting hooked.. :) you'll find using it in many different ways to help you squeeze those extra shows in when you're not able to normally watch. (can't wait till we see you posting you want a THREE Tuner DVR ... LOL)

thanks for your help, i could use that dvr tonight because a new law and order svu comes on the same time as criminal minds suspect behavior

i am getting a 722 now,thanks for the advice,everyone here has been really helpful

If you're still keeping the 322 and replacing the 211 with a 722(k), your 722 will need to be set to single mode after it's activated.

99 times out of 100 we hook up a 722 to two rooms and the receiver is set to dual mode by default. You may get an experienced tech who takes care of this anyway, but there is the possibility of getting a new or inexperienced tech who won't even think to set it to single mode.

Also, single mode will give you PIP if you choose to use it.

If you're still keeping the 322 and replacing the 211 with a 722(k), your 722 will need to be set to single mode after it's activated.

99 times out of 100 we hook up a 722 to two rooms and the receiver is set to dual mode by default. You may get an experienced tech who takes care of this anyway, but there is the possibility of getting a new or inexperienced tech who won't even think to set it to single mode.

Also, single mode will give you PIP if you choose to use it.

matt made it where i will have the 722 and the 211, won't have the 322

60 bucks for a 1 gig external hard drive, 80 to 129 for a 2 gig (good on 722k/922).
I think you meant 1 TB (1000 gigs) and 2 TB (2000 gigs). 1 or 2 gigs don't give you much capacity when you record HD;)
LOL yeah.. sometimes I still think its the days when I bought a 340 meg WD at 1 dollar a meg.. and THAT was the greatest deal of the day.. :)

You can still get PIP by putting the 722 in single mode, but it'll interrupt TV2 .

Love PIP during the NFL season when I can watch my team on one side of the screen and NFL Redzone on the other side. Plus their both in HD to boot.

Get 2 ehd's. One for each receiver. There is no additional fees for the 722, but it will cost $40 to activate the 211, but believe me it's worth it. I had a spare 400 gb drive laying around for several years. Finally hooked it up to the 211. Gives you all the freeze, back and forward features of a dvr and if you have ota reception you can record a Dish signal and an ota signal at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)