Globecast System Comments?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gorac

Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
Chicago
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I'll be getting set up with a Globecast system next week. As far as I know it's the standard, $99 system they give to all their customers. It's an elliptical dish. Anybody know if I'll only be able to receive stuff from Intelsat 5, or will I be able to pick up channels from other satellites? If not, is there any way I could get them? Should I ask them for a motor? I guess what I'm looking for is someone with the same setup and their experience. Thanks for the help.

Hello and WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

The Globecast systems are kind of cheap and nasty, they MAIN thing with them is to make sure the receiver is in a well ventilated area as they do overheat.

The oval dish is standard and maybe a bit too heavy for a motor (without modification) if possible ask for the slightly larger dish than standard.

Globecast use IA-5 so yes you would get the FTA channels on this satellite as well as any programming you want to subscribe to using the Globecast receiver/card.

Gorac

The Globecast receiver does not have DiSEqC 1.2 or USALS motor control.

You can view other satellites with it, but you will have to enter all the transponder frequencies manually. It does not have BLIND SEARCH capability.

With the Globecast receiver, you need to get the biggest dish possible. It does not have a strong tuner. Also, get a STANDARD lnbf with it. It does not work well with UNIVERSAL lnbfs.

globecast

Hi - I have been using a Globecast cheapie for the past half year and have been pleased
(maybe I just don't know any better ;). I works with IA5, IA7, G10R, AMC3, etc, etc. Just enter new satellites and transponder data from lyngsat.com and have fun.

There is something funny about the Globecast receiver.

Among all the FTA receiving device I have (DMT 1000, Globecast, Twinhan 1050A), the Globecast receiver is the only one that gets me Azteca 7 & 13 on IA6. None of the other devices can lock the signal.

The globecast receiver I have isn't too bad. I like the S-video output. It has a front LCD signal meter with the latest firmware and it can be used as a standard fta receiver. The minus' would be no motor control at all and it seems to be a bit week in sq compared to my Traxis receiver wich does not have any problem at all picking up Azteca 7 and 13 on IA6.

ChuckS2 said:
Hi - I have been using a Globecast cheapie for the past half year and have been pleased
(maybe I just don't know any better ;). I works with IA5, IA7, G10R, AMC3, etc, etc. Just enter new satellites and transponder data from lyngsat.com and have fun.
Hey, just got my dish and receiver installed today, but I've been on hold with tech support for an hour waiting to tell them I can't receive the channels I ordered. Most of the FTA stuff seems to be working, but I was wondering how I could access other satellites? Where would I enter the data into? Do I have to move my dish at all? Thanks.

Stay pointing at IA-5 until the system is activated, can take upto an hour on busy days!

To change satellite you would have to get to the antenna set-up screen! Again I would wait for now!

But yes you would have to move the dish, and when you do you will lose your PAID and FTA programming on the satellite you are pointed at (IA-5)

What kind of signal QUALITY are you getting?

I'm getting about 61-70 Signal Quality (83 Strength). There's no way to pick up any other satellites without moving the dish?

No! Those are C-Band :(

C-Band (6' dish min.) 4 digit Freq.

Ku-Band (30" dish min.) 5 digit Freq.

those are feeds...not the actual channel. The channels are next door on G4 (99W) but you need a 6 foot dish for those

Can the globecast receiver be used with a disqec switch for mulitple sats?

If so, then I might be more willing to purchase.

Need Sentana Sports!!!

Got hooked on hurling and Galiec football on my trip to Ireland in May, but would like to justify the receiver cost (multiple sats might do the trick)

hmm.....might be worth taking a look at then.

I've got a stationary at IA5 now and plan on adding a few LNB's to the dish (101 and 93). That might be worth it for the spare bedroom setup.

Can you use a 22mhz switch also? Then I could use it for my motorized setup (motor controlled by Classic NA) If the receiver can hold up to 16 sats, can I just set up (manually add tp's) for 13 sats that I can reach with the motor and set them all to the same Disqec #?

So with a 4 port switch for example, #1 would be IA5, #2 would be 101, #3 would be 93 and #4 would be whatever my motor dish is pointed at.

Will that work?

NOTE: Now that I think about it, will the receiver take circular signals or just standard? Motor dish is hooked up to my Invacom QUAD and I'm using a 4port 22 mzh switch to go between C and L. If it can't send a 22mhz signal and can't handle circular signals, can I still have it runing through the switch (making sure that the L feeds through the OFF position)?

gorac said:
I'm getting about 61-70 Signal Quality (83 Strength). There's no way to pick up any other satellites without moving the dish?

....IF you are using a elipitcal dish or a large 1m+ , then you could add more LNBs. Requires some tweaking, but can be done if you are looking for a one dish solution (non motorized)

Gorac

The Globecast receiver does not have DiSEqC 1.2 or USALS motor control.

You can view other satellites with it, but you will have to enter all the transponder frequencies manually. It does not have BLIND SEARCH capability.

With the Globecast receiver, you need to get the biggest dish possible. It does not have a strong tuner. Also, get a STANDARD lnbf with it. It does not work well with UNIVERSAL lnbfs.
I'm still waiting for my used Globecast receiver to arrive, but meanwhile I went to your site, and downloaded the Globecast receiver manual and it seems to indicate that it has a blind search capability.
But more importantly, I'd like to hear about your experience with standard vs universal LNBFs with the Globecast receiver. What specific difference did you find to occur ? Your input is greatly appreciated on this topic.

I bought a Globecast receiver about a week ago to add subscription services to the FTA I was watching on IA5 (now Galaxy 25). I have found the receiver to be a bit weaker than the Fortec Lifetime Classic NA or Rex-1 I am using in the rest of the house. The universal LNB combined with the Globecast receiver was weaker than the standard LNB, but is still strong enough for RTR Planeta. The standard LNB gives a 99/90 signal/quality vs. a universal LNB giving 99/80. This is with a 90 cm Fortec dish, so I am not sure how big the drop would be with other dishes and a universal LNB.

The manual on the website is an older version. The Globecast receiver does not have blind search.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)