Got a C/Ku Orthomode. Now What??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Cloud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Well I just received one of those C / Ku Orthomode feedhorns that linuxman was selling. He advised that the best way to hook it up was with a 4x4 22khz switch.

I think I also want to keep my 1 meter dish for circular Ku, so I don't know the best switch setup. I will want up to 4 receivers connected.

I have only used diseqc switches so far in the hobby. What do I need, where can I get it and how do I hook it up??? I am getting really antsy about football season coming and want to get the feeds this year.

Can anyone help a football fan out?

I would suggest two 4x4 multiswitches *, wired like shown in this page of the Switches Simplified FAQ.
That drawing is pretty much the prototype for nearly everything with multiple LNBFs, receivers, and Ortho feeds.

I'd attach the two C-LNBs of the ortho to the left most 4x4, on the non-22khz port.
I'd attach the two Ku-LNBs of the ortho to the same 4x4 on the 22khz port.

Now, let's say you've got a linear/circular Ku like the Invacom QPH-031 on your motor.
I'd put the two linear lnbf connections of the -031 to the non-22khz port of your second 4x4.
I'd hook the two circular lnbf connections of the -031 to the same 4x4 on the 22khz ports.
(it's possible there's a good reason to swap linear to 22khz and circular to non-22khz, so we'll leave that open to argument for now.) - :up

As shown in the drawing referenced, you get one 4x1 diseqc per receiver and hookup as shown.

* I'm more fond of self-powered multiswitches, so if I built this, I'd use the WNC 4x8 powered multiswitches that Pendragon documented so well.
Please read the referenced thread, they're cheap as dirt.
And if you have more outputs than you'll ever use, so what? - :up

reference material:
==============
Pendragon mods a WNC 4x8 multiswitch for high voltage on both ports:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/174802-naughty-mods-ii-4x8-switch-all-18v-outputs.html

Pendragon mods the DirecTV 6x8 switch for external power:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...ghty-mods-iii-6x8-switch-power-insertion.html

Ok It's the WNC SWA-48 I have to use on the dual ortho. Interesting coincidence, I'm replacing a DMX741 with the ortho and switch combo. I will not need to change my LNB/DiSEqC settings after the change, they are the same.

Well thanks for the info. I have to tell you guys though, my head is turning around and around and I am vomiting pea soup.

Apart from the Exorcist imagery, I understood little of that. For a guy like me the best way is to

1. Say what exact switches I should buy by brand and model number.
2 Where I can get them
3 How I should wire those exact switches to my two dishes and my four receivers

As far as modifying anything electronically, unless there is a picture specific to the task, I don't have that capability.

If you look at multiswitches on this or that site, it is impossible to tell if they are 22 khz switches or something else. They don't say

So thanks but please don't overestimate my skill at this/ It is very basic.

Try reading the Switches Simplified FAQ from the beginning.
Consider each post a 'chapter' to understand.
It should give you enough understanding of the basics, to make your own informed decisions.
I didn't go out of my way to document how to use ortho feeds, because I considered them an advanced-user solution. ;)

I'm sure in there somewhere, it says that with a 4x4 or 4x8 multiswitch, turning on or off 22khz from the receiver, selects between the two banks of inputs.
Likewise, 2x4 multiswitches don't respond to 22khz; there are no extra inputs to select. ;)

The Pendragon thread above on the WNC 4x8 switch fully discusses the switch, the price, the availability, and what it'll do.
It shows how to add a resistor to change the voltage to LNBs on ortho mode feedhorns.
If you do NOT use LNBs that need the higher voltage, then that's fine.
Pendragon gave plenty of good background material on the switch and its use.

Anole is right. You need to understand the switches you will be useing and why. It is not very difficult learn. If you don't, it will just confound you when trying to troubleshoot your system. And you will be at the mercy of those more knowlegable. I have never used multi-switches or tone switches in my FTA setups before. I too needed to read the Switch FAQS to understand how to hook up the ortho. Anole gives an excellent tutorial in the FAQS.

Thanks for trying guys. I am an afflicted insomniac, so I spent a good part of last night reviewing the threads. I still grasp little of it.

I have more or less decided that there is value in simplicity. The one diagram I saw where there were 4 receivers four lnbs and a 4 x 4 Zinwell switch (and no disecq switches) looks like it will work best for me. The only problem there is, that particular Zinwell switch looks like, from the websites like Sadoun, is discontinued/

I think I am going with the Birdview/Orthomode hooked to three receivers through whatever 4x4 switch I can find, with one other receiver hooked directly and only to the one meter Ku dish/Invacom I have. That way I have, in my entire setup, one 22 khz switch and one disecq switch. This is probably better for me and granted it doesn't have the flexibility of having any receiver accessing any lnb, but it probably is best for me, I do have to think about what happens when something goes wrong, and when that happens, I think I would be vomiting pea soup again with the wires and connections and everything.

So I think I will scale back my idea just a little for the sake of simplicity. I still need to find a good 4 x 4 22khz switch for sale somewhere. Probably I will get a spare when I purchase.

Can anyone suggest an online source for the 4 x 4 switch? Thanks again gents.

I assume you refer to post #7, Movin' on to Multiswitches.
It features nothing but a 4x4 multiswitch.

The two LNBs on the C-side of your ortho would best be connected to the two inputs of the 4x4 marked no-22khz.
The two LNBS on the Ku-side of your ortho, or other two-output Ku LNBF on another dish should hook to the 22khz inputs of the 4x4 switch.

You can probably still get the WNC 4x8 or DirecTV 6x8 (in truth, just a 4x8) for less money.
See the two threads by Pendragon, linked above.

I ordered two Ecoda 4x4 switches, and one Eagle Aspen 4x4. I have four receivers and one of them is going to be dedicated to the Ku dish. We'll see. I am looking forward to better reception, football, seeing difficult S-2 stuff, and trying Skygrabber on this and that.

But I do have a question -- do you have to select ports on a 22khz switch? If so, how do you do that?

I ordered two Ecoda 4x4 switches, and one Eagle Aspen 4x4. I have four receivers and one of them is going to be dedicated to the Ku dish. We'll see. I am looking forward to better reception, football, seeing difficult S-2 stuff, and trying Skygrabber on this and that.

But I do have a question -- do you have to select ports on a 22khz switch? If so, how do you do that?

On one side of the 4x4 switch there will be 2 inputs from the LNB, one for 13V which will be for Vertical, and the other for 18V which will be for Horizontal and it will have no markings for 22Khz. On the other side of the switch, there will be 2 inputs from the LNB, one for 13V which will be for Vertical, and the other for 18V which will be for Horizontal, and it will be marked plainly for 22Khz.

On the bottom of the switch, will be 4 outputs that can be used to hook up 4 different receivers.

In the setup of the receiver, there will be a menu item to turn 22Khz on, or off. That is where you select how you have the switch setup at the dish.

Hope that helps!

On one side of the 4x4 switch there will be 2 inputs from the LNB, one for 13V which will be for Vertical, and the other for 18V which will be for Horizontal and it will have no markings for 22Khz. On the other side of the switch, there will be 2 inputs from the LNB, one for 13V which will be for Vertical, and the other for 18V which will be for Horizontal, and it will be marked plainly for 22Khz.

On the bottom of the switch, will be 4 outputs that can be used to hook up 4 different receivers.

In the setup of the receiver, there will be a menu item to turn 22Khz on, or off. That is where you select how you have the switch setup at the dish.

Hope that helps!

Thanks and I cannot believe you still have the Birdviews available - especially the solid. Since I have had mine up and running, who needs a subscription? I don't.

Thanks and I cannot believe you still have the Birdviews available - especially the solid. Since I have had mine up and running, who needs a subscription? I don't.

I'm sure there are those trying to figure out a way to get here and snag one off the roof.

Back to the subject at hand.

When setting up a satellite in the receiver for the orthomode setup like I sold you, I usually have the C-band lnbs set on the 22Khz off side, and the Ku lnbs set on the 22Khz on side. That way, you can repeat all the way across the arc. C-Band is off, and Ku is on for each satellite. Once it is setup, the receiver will select where the signal comes from automagically whenever you change satellites. :)

In my settings LOF1=5150 SW=11700 LOF2=10750 LOF1 set for C-Band LNBs, LOF2 for Ku LNBs, SW =Frequency at which the 22khz tone signal turns on. 11700 is the bottom end of the Ku band. Any transponder frequency above that will turn on the 22khz signal and the 4x4 switch will select the inputs with 22khz on.

First thanks again pendragon for the 4x8 mod. I have had one working here for the past 9 months or so and it works great. The mod itself is simple, if I can do it anyone can:). you can find the zinwell 4/8 on ebay pretty cheap. Highly recommend this switch for the simple mod and reliablilty. Just my 2 cent worth:)

Maybe just one more inquiry as I get ready to put this together - Where is the right location for the switch - close to the receiver or close to the feedhorn? I was thinking of putting it in to the feedhorn enclosure. Will that work?

Just a word to say thank you to the folks who helped me get this "advanced" system working.

With the guidance of you folks, I have been watching both C and Ku for a few days. For the most part, signal quality is higher than before, with some exceptions.

I haven't gotten any S-2 with this rig yet, but am looking forward to trying. I have my Sonicview HD and my HTPC currently set up on the orthomode through a 22 khz switch.

I hope it works and hope it will be able to bring in football feeds this year.

Thanks again guys.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)