Got my LNB replaced today, was running fine, now it wont work...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Test12345

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Pretty much just like the title says. I have a GEOSATpro microHD fully updated. I got my LNB switched to a SL2PLL today, the guy set it up for 97W and it worked just fine (90% signal strength, ~74% signal quality) all day. Now its night time, and suddenly the signal strength is 45%, the quality is 0% and nothing will show!

I'm beyond frustrated and out quite a bit of money. I plan on messaging the gentleman who helped set it up, but I dont think its anything he did or didnt do. Could it be the box? The reason I ask is because it was at 45% earlier today and didnt work at all, and he told me his little analyzer showed it was fine, so he had me pull the plug and try it and then it started working (i left the signal meter on while he replaced the lnb so maybe it just needed a restart to get it all calibrated, i dunno).

After it hit 0% tonight and stopped working, i tried unplugging it, and nothing. I tried a factory reset, and nothing. I'm going nuts over here. Any ideas what could be wrong? He said he set the skew correctly which he said could be a reason it was working during the day and not the night earlier. I'm going crazy!!! :crying

Thanks guys

Last edited:
What Satellite are you aimed at? 97W?
Are you on an active transponder...Did you bump it off channel to a different transponder.
45% lets me know that the receiver is seeing the LNBF.

What Satellite are you aimed at? 97W?
Are you on an active transponder...Did you bump it off channel to a different transponder.
45% lets me know that the receiver is seeing the LNBF.

Forgot to mention that, yep, 97W. I'm not sure what happened, my old technologically illiterate father was using it and said it worked fine and then all the sudden stopped working. After i updated it, it factory reset, and when i look at the TPs on 97W its all 45%. It''s like he went out there and just went freaking nuts on the satellite, lol (obviously not, its on the roof) Thanks for any help!

Hmm, it shouldn't have been on during the switch. The 45 % shows that the LNB is connected.

If you factory reset it, then it needs the settings for Lo and all put back in and a blind scan run. My MicroHD isn't hooked up right now so I can't walk you through it, but someone I'm sure will. What model LNB is it, so the correct Lo seting can be determined?

Do a factory reset, set the LNB LO to match the new LNB LO and perform a Blind Scan for FTA channels.

The new LNBF LO frequency may be different than the old LNBF. The old one may have drifted off frequency or the new one may be defective.

I mean, it's all set up the way it was earlier and nothing. LO 10750 is what it was and what the box says. Blind scan wont turn anything up because there's no signal quality. This is sooooo frustrating!

I did do a factory reset (does it automatically when it updates apparently). It was working fine with all the old settings, and then suddenly stopped, so i tried an update (which does a reset), and now after the update/factory reset theres (still) no signal strength or quality so it cant find anything.

So the Lo is 10750, then. Did you do a blind scan after the last factory reset, like Brian suggested?

The weather isn't foul out where you are tonight, is it? If it's heavily overcast out, it could possibly knockout your signal.

So the Lo is 10750, then. Did you do a blind scan after the last factory reset, like Brian suggested?

Oh, yeah, sorry. Reply below. The only place I can set the Lo is antenna setup --> motor/switch setting (even though i have no motor).

Did you try a Blind Scan? If the receiver is on an inactive transponder, it will show 45% level and 0% quality

Yeah, it doesnt find anything. Every transponder is 45%! I guess tonight there's a light rain but I'll be damned if thats it...it was windy as heck all day today and it worked fine. And besides, the PLL LNB should be more solid during rain/averse conditions, right?

Oh, yeah, sorry. Reply below. The only place I can set the Lo is antenna setup --> motor/switch setting (even though i have no motor).

Yeah, it doesnt find anything. Every transponder is 45%! I guess tonight there's a light rain but I'll be damned if thats it...it was windy as heck all day today and it worked fine. And besides, the PLL LNB should be more consistent right?

Yeah, the PLL's are better than a standard LNB for pulling in the signal. What size dish is it that you have?

Rain could do it if the dish is on the smaller size and not quite aimed perfect, I have a smaller dish set on 97W here and it's glitching up tonight because it's raining here.

Hopefully the wind didn't move the dish on you!

Every transponder is 45%! I guess tonight there's a light rain but I'll be damned if thats it...it was windy as heck all day today and it worked fine. And besides, the PLL LNB should be more solid during rain/averse conditions, right?
Agree with A Raine, sounds like he had you keep the power on during the switch? If so, that's a no-no. You also mentioned in another thread that the coax needed replaced. Did the installer change that out too? If not, perhaps it's getting some rain infiltration. If he did, it may not be sealed tight and the rain is getting into it?

He definitely changed the coax. Dish size is 90 cm I believe. Even while it was windy the signal was still 90/75. I just cant believe that some light rain is ruining the signal this bad and it just cut out suddenly. Now that i think about it a bit more, I'm pretty sure he connected the LNB then told me to check. So we should be good there, and even if we werent, it still worked after. I emailed him so hopefully he'll be able to come by and check but man, I'm totally bummed. Not acceptable that it doesnt work during a light rain. :( Thanks for the help guys!

Reactions: . Raine
Very frustrating, especially after just having it serviced. Hope the guy stands by his work and you can get it working again.

I have to ask . I am sure you would had try it do you have another receiver you could try just for ?
Regards

90 cm with a PLL should be big enough that a light rain wouldn't knock it completely out, unless it wasn't aimed dead onto the sat.

I just hooked my MicroHD back up to look in the menu and I'd forgotten how easy the Micro is, not much there to mess up. 10750 Lo, 22khz off, no switches, I assume, so DISEqC disabled. My guess would be the wind moved the dish. Maybe, just for the fun of it, if you haven't already done it, walk outside and see if it looks like the dish has moved any?

Hopefully the guy that changed out the LNB will fix it for you for free if it ends up being something like he left it too loose on the mast, or something like that.

Is the second coax from the LNBF hooked up to anything yet? If not, you might try moving your receiver to that line and checking whether it works there.

Another thing you could try is to take the coax off of the receiver (after first shutting it down and unplugging it) and then re-attach.

The second coax is currently empty and I cant get up on the roof to try. I'll try removing and attaching the coax again. Man oh man, what a weird situation. Everything was working amazingly well and then bam! Nothing.

The second coax is currently empty and I cant get up on the roof to try. I'll try removing and attaching the coax again. Man oh man, what a weird situation. Everything was working amazingly well and then bam! Nothing.

So there is no coax attached to the second coax post? Is the coax post protected in any way from the weather? If not, it might have got water in it and shorted it out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)