Hard Drive Bargain Watch

Special - $5 off an already good deal :

Newegg.com - HITACHI H3640U 640GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache USB 2.0 Black External Hard Drive - External Hard Drives

Hitachi 640gb external drive is $65 with free shipping from Newegg if you use the Promo Code:

EMCLPML55

( I have not used Hitachi external drives, but I only use Hitachi internal disk drives in my PCs. You may know their drives as "IBM Deskstar" drives.)

So don't say I don't do anything for Sat Guys members. ;)

Also known affectionatly as IBM "DEATHstar" drives becasue of their failure rates.

Also known affectionatly as IBM "DEATHstar" drives becasue of their failure rates.

I have an Hitachi and WD installed at same point in history, over three years ago. Hitachi was boot drive, WD a back-up. WD died. Hitachi still going, and going and...

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic post... but, I notice a lot of mentions on this thread of deals on 1TB drives. Will pretty much any 1TB external HD work with the 722? I noticed a deal on a LaCie 1TB drive a couple weeks ago, but was hesitant to pull the trigger as I thought I remembered reading on this site that nothing over 750 GB would be recognized.

Seagate sale - Lots to choose from -

LIMITED TIME

Seagate: FreeAgent™ | Home

Freeagent Go®160GB, $34.99
2.5" Internal Kit PATA 160GB, $34.99
3.5" Internal Kit PATA 500GB, $54.99
BlackArmor ™ 160GB, $42.99
FreeAgent Pro 750GB (Triple Interface), $89.99
Freeagent Desktop 750GB, $79.99
FreeAgent Pro 500GB (Triple Interface), $64.99
Freeagent Pro 500GB (Dual Interface), $62.99
Freeagent Desktop 500GB, $57.99
3.5" Internal Kit SATA 320GB, $39.99
3.5" Internal Kit PATA 160GB, $24.99

Free Ground Shipping using promo code: outletfreeship

My 2 yr old WD MyBook 500G died last week AND I kind of tired of switching cables, etc when I wanted to watch content on a separate drive, so I bought the Thermaltake Blacx drive dock. Put the drive out of the dead MyBook in it and VOILA!!! It works great. I MAY "gut" the drive from the rest of my external drives and just keep them in a rack somewhere.

Has anyone had any issues doing this???

My 2 yr old WD MyBook 500G died last week AND I kind of tired of switching cables, etc when I wanted to watch content on a separate drive, so I bought the Thermaltake Blacx drive dock. Put the drive out of the dead MyBook in it and VOILA!!! It works great. I MAY "gut" the drive from the rest of my external drives and just keep them in a rack somewhere.

NO, not yet, that's SOP around my parts. :)

Does the Thermaltake unit spin-down (idle mode) when not in use?

I'm thinking about going the same route, but I like my current "my book" that spins down when the hard drive is not in use.

NO, not yet, that's SOP around my parts. :)

A dual drive version of this dock exists. Would a Dish DVR have any trouble seeing two different drives or is it limited to one external drive?

RedWings, I have a BlackX single drive dock for my media server. It does spin down after about 5 or ten minutes of inactivity. I've been wanting to adjust this spindown time, but I haven't figured out how to do it. It doesn't seem to follow Windows XP powering scheme.

Thanks,
jawgee

Actually, it is still $120 on the Dell link I originally posted. Now you just need to wait for a % off accessories coupon to get the price down a bit more.

Both drives are performing flawlessly and so quiet you don't even know they are there. That is hardly surprising considering they are an EMC product. EMC is known for high quality storage products.

Maryland COSTCO has 1.5TB Free agent $109 plus Tax

Sure enough, the rebate is listed now. It wasn't there yesterday. Of course, now they are out of stock! :mad:

EDIT - 06/07 Now it's been deactivated. :mad: :mad:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)