Help with new Satellite Receiver

Freddy Vences

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2020
San Jose,CA
Hello there

new to this site, I'm not sure if I can post this here.
Catching up back with my Satellite skills but new to new receivers
I'm looking at buying one and I'm looking at this but there are some stuff I don't understand and also the differences between one to another
here is this one:

GTMEDIA V8X HD DVB-S/S2/S2X FTA Digital Satellite Receiver, Free to Air Built-in 2.4G WiFi TV Sat Decoder Supports Intelsat 901 at 27.5°W BBC Channel..........$57USD

But, in the description says this:

Notice:
It doesn't support 8psk turbo satellite channels; So for North America customers, please pay attention in advance if you want to purchase this item. We do not advise customers purchase this item, especially when you want to use Terrestrial function or want to watch turbo 8psk satellite channels.

I don't understand what they mean and why they say that north america should not purchase this item?
what is 8psk turbo satellite channels?

They compare to this but what's the difference?

1595367777858.png

Please, help to decide what is the best purchase and why

I need to connect to my old Satellite dish its up in my roof, looks like 30" dia. or possible make an old existing Directv dish to hook up to this system.
I'd like to buy this LNB

1595367974178.png

I'd like to get the Galaxy 19 Satellite and all possible channels I can get with a good system even If I have to get a motorized system, I don't know, all depends
I was thinking that maybe with new receivers and wifi features may not need motorized system, I don't know
just exploring and see what I can do to build a good Satellite tv system and be able to record what I'd like to watch.

PS: I purchased a TABLE QUAD OTA DVR wifi receiver for a regular antenna with 4 turners and be able to record any program with attached HDD.
Its awesome, I'll recommend this to anyone interested in local channels to view 4 TVs all viewing different channels and record anything you want
the TVS are hooked up via wifi in smart TVs, no wire needed or watch in laptop or your phone visiting friends and family watch your HOME TV.

Please, let me know
your help will be really appreciate it.

Thanks so much stay safe
Freddy

Hello there

new to this site, I'm not sure if I can post this here.
Catching up back with my Satellite skills but new to new receivers
I'm looking at buying one and I'm looking at this but there are some stuff I don't understand and also the differences between one to another
here is this one:

GTMEDIA V8X HD DVB-S/S2/S2X FTA Digital Satellite Receiver, Free to Air Built-in 2.4G WiFi TV Sat Decoder Supports Intelsat 901 at 27.5°W BBC Channel..........$57USD

But, in the description says this:

Notice:
It doesn't support 8psk turbo satellite channels; So for North America customers, please pay attention in advance if you want to purchase this item. We do not advise customers purchase this item, especially when you want to use Terrestrial function or want to watch turbo 8psk satellite channels.

I don't understand what they mean and why they say that north america should not purchase this item?
what is 8psk turbo satellite channels?

View attachment 146483

Please, help to decide what is the best purchase and why

I need to connect to my old Satellite dish its up in my roof, looks like 30" dia. or possible make an old existing Directv dish to hook up to this system.
I'd like to buy this LNB

View attachment 146484

I'd like to get the Galaxy 19 Satellite and all possible channels I can get with a good system even If I have to get a motorized system, I don't know, all depends
I was thinking that maybe with new receivers and wifi features may not need motorized system, I don't know
just exploring and see what I can do to build a good Satellite tv system and be able to record what I'd like to watch.

PS: I purchased a TABLE QUAD OTA DVR wifi receiver for a regular antenna with 4 turners and be able to record any program with attached HDD.
Its awesome, I'll recommend this to anyone interested in local channels to view 4 TVs all viewing different channels and record anything you want
the TVS are hooked up via wifi in smart TVs, no wire needed or watch in laptop or your phone visiting friends and family watch your HOME TV.

Please, let me know
your help will be really appreciate it.

Thanks so much stay safe
Freddy
Welcome to Satellite Guys Freddy Vences! Avoid any receiver that supports Turbo 8PSK as they can be used for theft of service. I would recommend the following receiver.

It is a high quality receiver sold by KE4EST, a member here on Satellite Guys. You will get good support after the purchase should you have any issues or questions.

If you have a 30" FTA dish then the Titanium C1-PLL will not work. Your dish is for ku band reception not c band which requires a much larger dish. I would recommend this lnbf, also sold by KE4EST.

The combination of the above items should work well for 97W. If you decide to try a motor to get more channels I would recommend a Stab HH90. :)

Reactions: KE4EST
Notice:
It doesn't support 8psk turbo satellite channels
In other words this box will not assist you in hacking. Only channels that use that are pay channels. So, no worries for you, if you want true FTA. :) They left out the words hacking and theft of service so their listing would not get flagged on Amazon.

"They" are not comparing to anything. This is Amazon's auto compare function.

I'd like to buy this LNB
That LNBF will not work with your 30" dish to get what you are after. That is for a C-Band dish (the big 8-12 foot) dishes. You will need a Ku band LNBF for that dish.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Hello Guys

Thanks so much for your help
its good to know and I'm educating a little more on these new receivers to understand them better.

On the dish bigger than 30" so I can use the LNB for C-band, is it worth it to do this?, am I gaining better things?
you know, it's like "the bigger the better", "what you pay is what you get."
I just don't want to lose anything interesting.
someone from the receiver you recommend left a review saying that he recommends to use a dish 36" or bigger for that receiver,
so that would go with the LNB C-band I want, right?

do you guys know for any good dish 8' or 10' or better buy in a package with LNB C-band out there?

if I buy the dish and motor from this package, is that would be a great kit?
Then I can buy the Amiko Mini HD265 FTA Receiver and LNB C-band separate.

1595436021760.png

1595436116378.png

Please, let me know
Thanks again
Have a wonderful day

Freddy V.

Attachments

• 1595434441156.png
    1595434441156.png
    430.4 KB · Views: 274
  • 1595434604521.png
    1595434604521.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 260
Hello Guys

Thanks so much for your help
its good to know and I'm educating a little more on these new receivers to understand them better.

On the dish bigger than 30" so I can use the LNB for C-band, is it worth it to do this?, am I gaining better things?
you know, it's like "the bigger the better", "what you pay is what you get."
I just don't want to lose anything interesting.
someone from the receiver you recommend left a review saying that he recommends to use a dish 36" or bigger for that receiver,
so that would go with the LNB C-band I want, right?

do you guys know for any good dish 8' or 10' or better buy in a package with LNB C-band out there?

if I buy the dish and motor from this package, is that would be a great kit?
Then I can buy the Amiko Mini HD265 FTA Receiver and LNB C-band separate.

View attachment 146497

View attachment 146498

Please, let me know
Thanks again
Have a wonderful day

Freddy V.
The Amiko receiver and Maverick lnbf will work with the 30" dish that you have. If you can get a bigger dish (36") it will work better. As you said, the bigger the better. A larger dish will collect more signal which will allow you to lock more channels.

As far as the Titanium C1-PLL lnbf, that is for use with large c band dishes. Generally 8 foot or bigger is recommended for reliable reception. People do experiment with these on smaller dishes to see what they can get. Just keep in mind that they work best on large c band dishes and you will not get many of the channels that you will get on larger dishes and the channels you do get may come and go with signal loss due to rain.

There is a seller that offers large c band dishes and complete packages but they are not cheap.

A better option might be to drive around and look for an old c band dish that is no longer being used. You may be able to get it for next to nothing and many people will gladly give it to you just for removing it from their property. :)

Reactions: norman881
Last but not least question:

By doing these exercises with Satellites and Regular TV antennas, I noticed that the FTA Satellite dishes when they scramble channels you don't get the Local channels you get just using a regular TV antenna.

1595447425833.png

why is that?

I was assuming that when you setup a satellite dish FTA, you should get everything including your local channels.
Interesting.

is there a receiver that I can hook up the satellite dish and regular antenna so I can get both?
I see my receiver has the antenna INPUT but it doesn't scan anything but if I switch the wire in a TV it will scan all my local channels right away.

1595448107320.png

also,

What's the difference from old receivers like Viewsat PVR700 to new receivers like Amiko Mini HD265 FTA Receiver,
WHAT am I missing if I use an old receiver?

1595451393710.png

Thanks
Have a wonderful time all.
stay safe

Freddy V.

Last edited:
Also,

What do you guys think about:
the
INVACOM QPH-031 Quad Polar Ku LNB FTA Satellite 2 Circular 2 Linear Outputs HD
1595453365846.png

vs

MAVERICK KU BAND PLL LNBF Free-To-Air Standard Linear FTA LNBF
1595453444060.png

??

Also,

What do you guys think about:
the
INVACOM QPH-031 Quad Polar Ku LNB FTA Satellite 2 Circular 2 Linear Outputs HD
View attachment 146511

vs

MAVERICK KU BAND PLL LNBF Free-To-Air Standard Linear FTA LNBF
View attachment 146512

??
The Invacom lnbf is good for linear ku but in my opinion the Maverick is better. Also, the two circular inputs on the Invacom are not worth much these days as there are few if any circular feeds in the clear. :(

Last but not least question:

By doing these exercises with Satellites and Regular TV antennas, I noticed that the FTA Satellite dishes when they scramble channels you don't get the Local channels you get just using a regular TV antenna.

View attachment 146503

why is that?

I was assuming that when you setup a satellite dish FTA, you should get everything including your local channels.
Interesting.

is there a receiver that I can hook up the satellite dish and regular antenna so I can get both?
I see my receiver has the antenna INPUT but it doesn't scan anything but if I switch the wire in a TV it will scan all my local channels right away.

View attachment 146504

also,

What's the difference from old receivers like Viewsat PVR700 to new receivers like Amiko Mini HD265 FTA Receiver,
WHAT am I missing if I use an old receiver?

View attachment 146510

Thanks
Have a wonderful time all.
stay safe

Freddy V.
Older receivers do not support the formats/codecs that newer receivers have. You will get far less FTA channels using an older receiver as they are unable to scan them in.

Reactions: harshness
Nice answers, Thanks so much
I already ordered my

Amiko Mini HD265 FTA Receiver, and my MAVERICK KU BAND PLL LNBF

I'll check it out
I'm going to be playing with this in my existing 30" satellite dish or maybe I'll buy the 36"
and I'm buying the STAB HH90 Italian Motor

I'll talk to you later guys
thanks so much again for your help.

Have a wonderful day
Stay safe.
Freddy V.

Reactions: FTA4PA
forgot?

what about the receiver that it can support the satellite dish channels and the regular TV antenna for local channels so I can scan both?
is this possible?

Hello there

How can I figure out what Satellite to choose to setup the dish?
the one that I need point to setup the first signal.

I have my Longitude and Latitude but now what?
here is my location

1595542693496.png

I just chose Galaxy 19 to the hell of it.
but my location for Longitude in my city is there. -121.8863 (as minus)

if I go to

The closest to -121.8863 is this. Except that is not MINUS.
I don't see any minus there, I'm a little confused which Satellite should I chose to set it up from?
1595544387066.png

Please, guys let me know, I'll really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance
Have a wonderful time
Freddy V

Hello there

How can I figure out what Satellite to choose to setup the dish?
the one that I need point to setup the first signal.

I have my Longitude and Latitude but now what?
here is my location

View attachment 146533

I just chose Galaxy 19 to the hell of it.
but my location for Longitude in my city is there. -121.8863 (as minus)

if I go to

The closest to -121.8863 is this. Except that is not MINUS.
I don't see any minus there, I'm a little confused which Satellite should I chose to set it up from?
View attachment 146534

Please, guys let me know, I'll really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance
Have a wonderful time
Freddy V
Minus numbers just mean it is western longitude instead of eastern longitude. You can choose to aim at any satellite you have line of sight to. Take a look at North & South America - LyngSat or Satellites - North & South America to see what channels are in the clear on each satellite. On Lyngsat look for channels that have a red F in a box, on Sathint look for ones where the encryption is marked clear. Keep in mind that based on dish size you may or may not get what is available. Personally I would try for 97w first as it is fairly easy to lock. Getting that one locked and scanned in will give you a good idea of what is required and then you can try for others. :)

Thanks FTA4PA

Well?
this is the thing:
I read that once you setup your dish and align to zero that you should pick up the closest satellite to your true south
since my Longitude is -121.8863 , I was looking to the closest to that, I didn't know you can pick any other one.
and actually I'd like to setup on the Galaxy 19, 97W in the first place.

but, I'd like to test if it works on existing Directv satellite dish already installed up in my roof
I already ordered my Amiko Mini HD265 FTA Receiver, and my MAVERICK KU BAND PLL LNBF
Once this is hook up, but?
what would be my settings in my receiver since is new?
probably my settings for the LNB would be like

GALAXY 19 (97.0W)
LNB power.................ON
LNB Type...................Standard or Universal
LNB Freq.....................11250
22KHZ.........................OFF
TP Freq........................12224
DIESsqC 1.0.................OFF
Motor ............................OFF

Please, help me out with this.
Thanks in advance
I'll really appreciate it

Freddy V.

Thanks FTA4PA

Well?
this is the thing:
I read that once you setup your dish and align to zero that you should pick up the closest satellite to your true south
since my Longitude is -121.8863 , I was looking to the closest to that, I didn't know you can pick any other one.
and actually I'd like to setup on the Galaxy 19, 97W in the first place.

but, I'd like to test if it works on existing Directv satellite dish already installed up in my roof
I already ordered my Amiko Mini HD265 FTA Receiver, and my MAVERICK KU BAND PLL LNBF
Once this is hook up, but?
what would be my settings in my receiver since is new?
probably my settings for the LNB would be like

GALAXY 19 (97.0W)
LNB Type...................Standard or Universal
LNB Freq.....................11250
TP Freq........................12224

Please, help me out with this.
Thanks in advance
I'll really appreciate it

Freddy V.
If I'm understanding correctly you want to try mounting the Maverick lnbf on the existing DirecTV dish when it arrives? If yes, settings would be:

GALAXY 19 (97.0W)
LNB Type...................Standard
LNB Freq....................10750
TP Freq........................(Visit Galaxy 19 at 97.0°W - LyngSat to find active TPs but maybe try 12152 H 20000 first)

Or are you thinking of just hooking your FTA receiver to the existing DirecTV lnbf on the dish. I've never tried but my understanding is that FTA receivers won't work with them.

Reactions: KE4EST
Normally you line up on the satellite closest to your longitude. Looks like 121W is the one you want to start with.

Hello Guys

Thanks so much for your help.

Yes, you all correct.
I dont have a motor yet.
I will buy one later on

for now, I have a directv already up on my roof and I'd like to try using this , just to hell of it.
I'd like to experiment to see I can get with that.
first to use the Directtv LNB
then, change it to the MAVERICK

Then Put a new 36 dish with motor.

Thanks
Have a wonderful day
Freddy V

Hello Guys

Thanks so much for your help.

Yes, you all correct.
I dont have a motor yet.
I will buy one later on

for now, I have a directv already up on my roof and I'd like to try using this , just to hell of it.
I'd like to experiment to see I can get with that.
first to use the Directtv LNB
then, change it to the MAVERICK

Then Put a new 36 dish with motor.

Thanks
Have a wonderful day
Freddy V
The guys here can correct me. DBS sats like DN and Direc put out more power and that's why they can get by with smaller dishes.
30 inches for your normal Ku FTA reception is the minimum suggested due to lower transponder power and assurance that you can get adequate signal on the edge of the footprint. I played around with a Direc LNBF on the dish to see if I could get any FTA signals and it was pretty much impossible to get a lock on my chinabox receiver.

The guys here can correct me. DBS sats like DN and Direc put out more power and that's why they can get by with smaller dishes.
30 inches for your normal Ku FTA reception is the minimum suggested due to lower transponder power and assurance that you can get adequate signal on the edge of the footprint. I played around with a Direc LNBF on the dish to see if I could get any FTA signals and it was pretty much impossible to get a lock on my chinabox receiver.
Yes the DN and Direct TV satellites have a lot more power and can get by with the smaller dishes. If your system is setup correct - using the Direct TV LNB you should be able to easily find the DN satellites. With a 30 inch dish it will set the meter on fire ;-) After you get a lock run a blind scan and lots of scramble channels should show up. Can't watch anything but it can be a good way to check the elevation scale on the dish and figure out a correction if needed. Good practice and after you confirm what satellite you found mark the mask and elevation scale. Makes finding the next satellite much easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)