History, biography @101w low signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I can understand that folks with larger dishes are still getting them ok. What's confusing is that those channels have always been 75 SQ (day & night) here until recently when in the evenings they drop completely out. Around 2 am they start coming back up. Just seems a little strange.

I had my Primestar 90cm pointed at AMC-4 last winter before I dedicated it to 83w for RTV. I got between 60-75Q on the tight Pansat meter then always.

I only had my 84cm pointed at AMC-4 for about a month now since 123 went to the dogs totally so I can't comment on it more than a few weeks ago.

It is very strange this is happening only to this transponder. Like clockwork it's starting to drop again for the night down to 45 from 60+ this morning. By 6 or 7pm it will be 30, by 9pm it will be breaking up and may hit a low of almost 10Q. By 2 Am it's back to 30 here.

I may mess with my dish later this evening and try a few things such as messing with the skew. I just re-peaked the thing to the max this morning because I put my new custom dual LNBF bracket on. The thing is then it was high as it gets. I actually used BVN to adjust the skew since it was the weakest transponder this morning and was more critical than HTN.

I wonder it the bird is drifting in the evening out of the box since it's old. It's possible but I would think it would show up on all transponders if thats the case. Another thing may be that there uplink dish may be off the bird and causing this due to the bird drifting. If there using a good size uplink dish the beamwidth being so narrow would cause this if not on the money.

It is very strange this is happening only to this transponder. Like clockwork it's starting to drop again for the night down to 45 from 60+ this morning. By 6 or 7pm it will be 30, by 9pm it will be breaking up and may hit a low of almost 10Q. By 2 Am it's back to 30 here.

I wonder it the bird is drifting in the evening out of the box since it's old. It's possible but I would think it would show up on all transponders if thats the case. Another thing may be that there uplink dish may be off the bird and causing this due to the bird drifting. If there using a good size uplink dish the beamwidth being so narrow would cause this if not on the money.

Yep, why only that transponder......Odd
75 SQ is high for my Traxis 3500 and the motorized dish so I don't think any dish adjusting here would help.
Guess if it continues I could dig out a old PrimeStar and aim at it but trying not to turn into an antenna farm again. Got it down to only three dishes now and two are out of sight. Trying to be a good neighbor here.
Guess we can hope that it gets so bad that the hotels complain and they have to do something about it.
I still think that bats are blocking the uplink at night. ;)

That's a lot of bats to be emerging all night long to block the uplink. :) One hell of a cave.
Yep and in the morning they all go to bed and the picture comes back. A simple case of bat attenuation causing loss of signal.
You can trust me, I'm a rocket surgeon.

I'm at 61 on my Diamond 9000HD at just after 8:00p central. No pixelation or break-up in the signal.
Yep, it seems to be doing better tonight for some reason. I kept checking it during the Pittsburg game and it seemed to be holding up better.
If you think about it , that ain't too bad for free. Leaving a perfect NBC game to check on the History channel. I live in an area where there is no TV unless you sub to something, After 15 years in the Tee-Vee business, I will never sub to anything. Rather do without, maybe finish my first novel. I've read up to chapter three already and it has a lot of big words and no pictures. It's about an old man in a old boat trying to catch a really big old fish. Can't wait to read how it all works out for him!

It's been gone here since earlier yesterday. Oh wait that's cause I changed birds. ;) It was still bad in my area the night before and said enough is enough.

The percentage of how much I actually watched it was very small so it shouldn't be missed. If it is it's always sub-able on W5 with the 4DTV. I used to look at the 4D's guide to see if there was something worth watching on those.

History is glitching here quite frequently this afternoon. (A few times per minute). I've got a solid 66% signal quality on my Fortec Classic NA, which normally would provide a glitch-free picture. RTPI is showing up at 98% quality on the same bird though.

At 4:48 it started pixelating at 60-69% for a few minutes. Q soon went up to 70, now its bouncing 70-90%. Skys are clear and 98% on other tp's.

Edit:
Just checked and now its 91%.

Hi Everybody,
This is my hypothosis on the whole situatation, The reason this is happening is because your dish is not big enough, I believe this Freq. is somewhat spot beamed, If you noticed there's reports from Arizona and etc. that is not effected but Eastern and northern and even across the rockies in California are effected. I'm in Edmonton with a 48" Prodelin and I range from 50% during 0300 to 1600 Mountain Time then after that I have 0%. I have worked in the Arctic in camps that have bell subsciptions and in the winter time it's stable but in the summer time the signal fades at night. The summer time night signals will fade in half but we still get reception. Bell's reception in the Artic is at it's limit that's why this happens.

Hi Everybody,
This is my hypothosis on the whole situatation, The reason this is happening is because your dish is not big enough, I believe this Freq. is somewhat spot beamed, If you noticed there's reports from Arizona and etc. that is not effected but Eastern and northern and even across the rockies in California are effected. I'm in Edmonton with a 48" Prodelin and I range from 50% during 0300 to 1600 Mountain Time then after that I have 0%. I have worked in the Arctic in camps that have bell subsciptions and in the winter time it's stable but in the summer time the signal fades at night. The summer time night signals will fade in half but we still get reception. Bell's reception in the Artic is at it's limit that's why this happens.
Arctic, dang! We never missed any episodes of 'Ice Road Truckers'.
Good theory but if you bust it all down to basics it doesn't hold up. I'm using the same dish, receiver, coax etc. that I have always used. Those channels have always held at 70-75 Sq. 24/7 365. One night I dropped out completely and came here to see if it was only me. It wasn't just me, a lot of other folks were having the same problem. Something had changed either at the uplink or with the bird. Maybe if I had a larger dish the problem wouldn't have been so noticeable. They seem to be getting it fixed. The last two days, I've had solid pics all evening.

The first Ms. Bubba said my 'dish' wasn't big enough, we are sadly no longer together.

By the way, WELCOME! :welcome

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)