HITS upgrading to dvb s2 technology

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Get the receiver and car numbers up front, call Dish (or ask a DIRT member from the Dish forum here) and ask them if they are clear to be re-activated on your own account. If they tell you 'No, that's a leased receiver" or "There's $800 owing on that account", then you are SOL and can't use that receiver. Just find that out up front BEFORE you buy a receiver. Yes, a Dish500 could work for you, but you need to find out what arc your locals are on (if you want them), and maybe need a 3 lnb dish

you will need the 3LNB setup for HD on Dish. In Charleston it is a Eastern Arc dish which sees 61.5, 72 and 77
(Charleston HD locals are on 61.5)

Back on topic, I would like to see a new subscription box for C-band, with an outright purchase of the receiver.

It'd be real nice to get away from all the crap like, "is it leased or do I own it?" and the lock-you-in type cellphone style contracts.

Not to mention watching TV when the clouds are thick! ....That and the pic quality, would be an easy sell for me, if they did it this way. Hopefully it can happen. :)

I would love nothing more than some type of subscription c band powervu receiver. America is so behind the times in the world of satellite tv. Look at europe's satellite business model. Even cell phones over there if I am not mistaken, GSM unlocked phones will work with virtually any provider. I have seen free to air satellite receivers with two different card slots for a couple different CAMs.

Has anybody talked to Programming center or Skyvision about this yet? I was waiting to see if one of there peoples was a memeber on the board and would ping in about this. Then again stuff takes time to cycle through the system. I hate to say it. Kinda wish NPS was still around. This seems like a market that is needed and if you have 1 major supplier and then a few sub suppliers. (we kinda have that now.) it would work. But nobody seems to have enough weight (money) around to pull off a full uploading center with dishes and contracts with however (motorola.). Equiptment and stuff like that. Anyway I don't want to get to far off of topic.

TTFN,

Josh

Talk about kicking a man in the junk while he's down. I'd love to be able to get some C* programming but all logic seems to say otherwise.
If this thread continues, am going to need a shrink on speed dial.

Cheers, K

C-Band is not as family friendly as the small dish. I currently have an H2H subscription, FTA and Roku, but my gf hates C-Band, FTA is too inconvenient and has no guide. Roku, she likes almost as much as Direct. Before I met my gf, she had Direct with all the goodies, and of course the cost. PVR, the ability to watch 3 different TV shows at the same time, and HD which does have a better picture quality the H2H in SD, plus your TV screen is filled instead of chopped. No matter what, I can't see the old fashion way of C-Band can compare to Direct or Dish when it comes to the whole family. Price-YES, Choices by way of A-La-Carte, YES, No contract, YES, Family friendly, NO.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can even watch shows or at least somehow tie your smart phone in with Direct and/or dish.

I'm not too sure what I'll do if/when they finally turn off H2H.

If this new receiver can bring back C-Band with as many or nearly as many choices as Direct or Dish, with the choice of HD, and can significantly beat the prices that Direct or Dish offer by a large enough margin to make it worth while, I'd probably spend upwards of $1200.00. Especially if it had a PVR.
Imho, that'll never happen because of the most important factor, Family Friendliness.

The switching starts very soon, from what I have read it seems they have not switched the s2 DCII encrypted HD muxes, so lyngsat may be wrong as headends will be using some DSR's. So if srl or Skyvision did make a deal with Shaw or Comcast to use some existing modified equipment it should be possible to sub. I guess we will have to wait and see. Not sure about Glens receiver though...

Still no word from SRL or Skyvision? Not good if they are still selling yearly after this news came out.

I called the programming center yesterday and they didn't have any information to.offer. :(

That would not help much, the best guys to talk to would be the head at srl or skyvision, maybe even Mike would know but if nothing is being said yet, I hope they are just working on a official announcement of some kind, good or bad news it would be nice to have something.

That would not help much, the best guys to talk to would be the head at srl or skyvision, maybe even Mike would know but if nothing is being said yet, I hope they are just working on a official announcement of some kind, good or bad news it would be nice to have something.

They say, "no news is good news"...

Cheers,K

Their current priority would be to their cable head ends.
Kinda rushing to be thinking about the next possible phase.
I'd say they have their hands full right now.
Give 'em 60-90 days.

Looks like in 60 or 90 days 4d subscribers will be looking at a blank screen. I guess it's a wait and see for now.

I can provide some insight here. As some of you may know I was able to get SRL to reach out to Motorola and Comcast after everyone was on the same page SRL wrote some new code in websams to send out a different VCT. This VCT allows folks to add DSR-470's to SRL's system. However you have to use a transcoder for each transponder so it only makes sense if you only need a few channels. Here is the problem to add any other models you need more stuff (Headend in your basement) like an om1000 or om2000 etc... We could get HD today from SRL thru HITS but you’re talking about $4,000 in gear to make it work.

If only we could get a dsr-600us like the dsr-305us we would be ready to rock some C-band HD. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts