HITS upgrading to dvb s2 technology

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Looks like in 60 or 90 days 4d subscribers will be looking at a blank screen. I guess it's a wait and see for now.

Not all the channels are leaving just some.

starz is the only package that you can't sub pass 6 months right now.

Looks like in 60 or 90 days 4d subscribers will be looking at a blank screen...

Maybe, maybe not. I'm still waiting to see if someone can explain what this means...

HITS_FAQ said:
HITS is maintaining six (6) of the most highly penetrated 64 QAM multiplexes after the upgrade. You will still be able to use IRTs or existing equipment to receive these services. You will only need new receivers if upgrading to any of the HITS 256 QAM DVB-S2 services.

To my uneducated eyes... that statement may leave a crack in the door.

Cheers

Not all the channels are leaving just some.

starz is the only package that you can't sub pass 6 months right now.

Well, I guess that answers my question then. So does this mean we can continue to DL the guide data as well?

Cheers

Just for fun how many subs do you think SRL has?

It would be 4001 if I was able to afford those DSR410/902/920 or 922 on Ebay. Iceberg pointed out its the same chap buying all of them out for South America purposes.

Cheers, K

Well I'm just going off when they use to post the numbers I think on satfroums, the guy from srl use to be there, this was after the nps shut down and there number went up to 14 or 20 thousand I think? Could be many left though, since now that I think about it, nps shut down a while ago.

Man if they could get the dsr 600 to work with hits that would be amazing, last I heard on that was it was a Motorola said it was a Shaw exclusive, I guess they attempted to work with Shaw but not sure how that went.

tdti1 said:
Man if they could get the dsr 600 to work with hits that would be amazing, last I heard on that was it was a Motorola said it was a Shaw exclusive, I guess they attempted to work with Shaw but not sure how that went.

That was the case with the dsr 305 for shaw but somehow there was a batch of dsr 305us which were added to hits UA inventory. Only place I know how got them was charter. (I posted a video on YouTube)

My household have a combo of HITS and Pizza and yes....HITS is better PQ than PIzza on SD, but times are a changing HD are banging down the door...

I'm not sure where this is all going, 4DTV has held out longer than I thought (after NPS closed its doors), but isn't it possible Pizza is under threat from Roku, Netflix, Amazon, etc. ?

Sure seems that way to me.

I cat help by think Pizza (and TVRO) as a whole is under pressure from a new emerging always on, always available IPTV system.

FWIW I would support HITS giving us the option of subbing a different (HD) receiver.

Before long, satellite transmission could be all IP anyway, look at telephone systems, all IP based, cell phones will go the same way,it's just a matter of time.

The only anomaly so far, is Radio, that has survived the Digital switchover, FM transmitters continue, fighting for a space in the Digital Spectrum.

What would be the advantage of an IP service via satellite? I know Dish Network tried it to resell to cable companies which they canned. Would this give people perhaps one way internet service content via satellite in which some content could still be television while other content could be data? Perhaps an on demand service could come of this like Netflix on satellite.

IP over satellite is really on useful for 1way traffic, at the moment, with current technologies.

Satellite like other broadcast technologies is best suited for mass distribution of a signal, not 2way comms.

I find myself saying everything will go IP but that's just IMHO. TV went digital without doing IP and that technology continues to improve, in terms of needed bandwidth per program (channel).

Using different codecs (think h.264) we can now get HD in the same space as an MPEG2 SD program, even if it's not Full HD, who wouldn't want the improved picture?!

The DVB standard, continues to develop and be widely used. In Europe DVB-T/T2 is widely used as their OTA (TV) standard along with S/S2 for satellite. America adopted ATSC for OTA (TV) but uses S/S2 for satellite.

It makes sense that ay carrier/broadcaster would want to take advantage of the newer technologies and what it offers,the challenge is us subscribers and are ageing boxes. Who can really afford to either a) give new boxes to customers (unless your leasing) or b) tell customers to buy new boxes?

And let's not forget the environmental impact of all those old boxes being dumped!!! Which company wants to be responsible for that?

As for HITS and us subscribers, I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm not well enough connected to speak to anyone meaningful about the issue and possible options, but I'd be happy to sign a petition or write a letter/email to show my support.

One other thing whilst I'm at it, I don't think we can say CBand is over, finished, etc.

It is still used as the back haul of choice for a lot of carriers and I'll remind everyone about rainfall with KuBand.

Maybe the comment earlier in this thread was referring to the end of CBand subscriptions, but I couldn't hep myself :D

One other thing whilst I'm at it, I don't think we can say CBand is over, finished, etc.

It is still used as the back haul of choice for a lot of carriers and I'll remind everyone about rainfall with KuBand.

Maybe the comment earlier in this thread was referring to the end of CBand subscriptions, but I couldn't hep myself :D

You are correct. Back hauls are mostly c band.
I think free to air will almost always have a future. I guess as sentimental as we are about our c band systems, it is hard to come to terms with no available subscription.

There is one thing about it, our subscription platform lasted quite a long time for a standard that was put in place in 1994?

Until I see the "CLOSED SIGN" on SRL or Skyvision web site I'm not going to worry about losing any channels that I have subscription for as I think it's just to early to be jumping ship.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)