Hopper With Sling Software Version S328

This is by far one of the worst Hopper updates yet. I was going to make a video about the numerous issues (both new and old,) but you know what, f*** it, it would take too long (because there are so many problems) and even if Dish saw it, they're too busy working on worthless new "features" and UI "enhancements" so they can make another press release. That way they can reel in more new customers under contract, then when they try to use the system as intended and it crashes/reboots/just plain doesn't work as expected, oops, too late to back out now! You just signed a two-year contract!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I only wish I could "like" that post more than once! :up

Ironically, I was just about to finally pull the trigger on upgrading my original Hopper to an HWS...then this debacle of an "update" happened. Hell no...not only did they remove some features (like the "protected" icons) for no apparent reason, now it sounds like they've screwed up the EHDs to the point I couldn't transfer anything from my current Hopper if I did upgrade. Not like they lost any revenue since the upgrade would have likely been free, but they certainly lost the contract extension from me for a while.

Does Dish not field test this crap software before they release it??

And worst of all they release them right before Thanksgiving where family members are going to see a pretty hopper sitting there that cant even do on demand anymore! This update is not but a cluster!

Still cannot retrieve EHD shows from Hopper.

I finally forced a reboot and then pulled the plug for a hard reboot.
Worked fine until I tried to import from the EHD and it went a few minutes and stopped counting down.
This was a block transfer of one show from a dozen shows with 50 to 200 episodes each.
Cannot find number of shows until I get a break again. Estimate 1424 shows from the spreadsheet.
Please don't tell me it is now a black hole because it over 1000--the critical mass. Near full 2TB.
-Ken

P.S. There must be more going on. I had transferred a 57 episode series 11/22 to the Hopper without problem.
This was the same day that the latest update happened. So we know that a block import can work as expected. It is a real pain to have to reboot to make a trial what with recordings and viewing. -K

Last edited:
My on demand is working fine, what kind of problem are you having?

I press the OnDemand button or try accessing from the menu. The picture goes to a little pip box and the rest of the screen is black. Keystrokes do not respond. Then after about a minute the channel banner shows and I can then cancel or Live TV out of it. The past two nights I wanted to use OnDemand but I can't; I can't find a workaround either.

I'm not sure this is tied to the S328 software up-date that I received on Tuesday, 11/26--but it did not happen before I received the up-date. This does not occur all of the time only part of the time but when I am watching a regular dish channel and tune to a OTA channel the OTA channel will not come in--the banner is there to show station number etc. --but the picture or sound does not come in--just get a black screen. I've tried switching back and forth but the local OTA will not come in. I tried various OTA channels and get the same result when this happens. Do I need to pull the card or do a hard reset?
Is anyone else having this issue-or could it be the OTA dongle.
I have a HWS-and S328 software version and a joey. All was installed in September of this year.
Thanks!

I'm not sure this is tied to the S328 software up-date that I received on Tuesday, 11/26--but it did not happen before I received the up-date. This does not occur all of the time only part of the time but when I am watching a regular dish channel and tune to a OTA channel the OTA channel will not come in--the banner is there to show station number etc. --but the picture or sound does not come in--just get a black screen. I've tried switching back and forth but the local OTA will not come in. I tried various OTA channels and get the same result when this happens. Do I need to pull the card or do a hard reset?
Is anyone else having this issue-or could it be the OTA dongle.
I have a HWS-and S328 software version and a joey. All was installed in September of this year.
Thanks!

Try a red button reset.

I posted earlier on this thread I had the same problem. I unplugged the OTA Dongle, waited 10 seconds, plugged it back in and it's been working fine since.

I have noticed the last several mornings when I check the Daily Schedule the very first timer that is scheduled to record is not there until I scroll up and then I see it. This is happening on two HWSs. One of the Hoppers the scheduled timer is satellite and the other Hopper is OTA. Sorry if this has already been posted someplace.

I just had this happen for the first time tonight (unless you count the times it happened with a recording in progress, which I posted about just a few messages before you). But it doesn't happen all the time. The only thing worse than having such an obvious bug is having it only happen at random!

I also have the missing EHD icons. I had hoped they would come back after a reboot or with a guide download or something, but no such luck.

Why the hell was Dish in such a rush to push this update out? Does anyone know? They normally only update a few receivers til they see if there are any problems -- and that's with updates that cause less problems than this one!

They should just switch everybody back to the previous version, scrap this one, and start over from scratch to do whatever this one was supposed to do!

I just had this happen for the first time tonight (unless you count the times it happened with a recording in progress, which I posted about just a few messages before you). But it doesn't happen all the time. The only thing worse than having such an obvious bug is having it only happen at random!

I also have the missing EHD icons. I had hoped they would come back after a reboot or with a guide download or something, but no such luck.

Why the hell was Dish in such a rush to push this update out? Does anyone know? They normally only update a few receivers til they see if there are any problems -- and that's with updates that cause less problems than this one!

They should just switch everybody back to the previous version, scrap this one, and start over from scratch to do whatever this one was supposed to do!

Since I don't have a EHD, this does not matter to me. To me, all that matters is they fixed the Optical Audio problem. To me, leave it alone so I can enjoy my 5.1 audio. I'm scared that if they fix your problem, they will break my fix.

Since I don't have a EHD, this does not matter to me. To me, all that matters is they fixed the Optical Audio problem. To me, leave it alone so I can enjoy my 5.1 audio. I'm scared that if they fix your problem, they will break my fix.

If Dish is doing proper regression testing with new software releases, your concern should be covered.

If Dish is doing proper regression testing with new software releases, your concern should be covered.

What is regression testing? If Skytrooper's audio issue is corrected, does that mean Dish can send fixes to our Hopper/Joey system instead of pushing out new software releases?

Regression testing is the part of software development where fixes implemented in previous versions are tested to make sure they haven't regressed, i.e. been undone, by the code fixes contained in the new release. Quality regression testing is dependent on coming up with adequate tests to stress the previous bug in the context of the new release to see if it still performs up-to-snuff.

So it isn't a solution unto itself but instead a way to ensure old fixes remain working through the lifecycle of the code.

Regression testing is the part of software development where fixes implemented in previous versions are tested to make sure they haven't regressed, i.e. been undone, by the code fixes contained in the new release. Quality regression testing is dependent on coming up with adequate tests to stress the previous bug in the context of the new release to see if it still performs up-to-snuff.

So it isn't a solution unto itself but instead a way to ensure old fixes remain working through the lifecycle of the code.

Thanks, understand now.

Last night I wanted to watch something I had partially watched before, and there was no Resume option!

My EHD has just disappeared with this update!

Got the update last Tuesday or so, and my EHD has totally disappeared! Called with a "just put me up a level now" start. Of course, had tried a hard reset and the tech had me unplug the USB, hard reset, then replug. Nothing. This is the worst "update" I've ever had in all my 15 or so DISH years. WHEN WILL THIS BE FIXED?

HwS EHD transfer problems

I have S328 on my Hopper with Sling. I have about 14TB of EHD storage and want to reorganize some.
I move shows to the Hopper and then out to another drive. I have been doing this for several years with 722s and the Hopper.
Now when I try to input the EHD it will hang with 1 to 3 seconds left, sometimes more.
It will do no more operations on it or another drive until a reboot. Power-plug reboot was no better.

My latest attempt was to pause a recording so no transfers. Sole Joey is off, no OTA enabled, no recordings in progress.
I finally got 3 shows transferred EHD to DVR. The 4th show hung up, doing these 1 at a time while reading this board.
I expected to transfer shows into DVR while transferring others out and also watching and recording.
Failure started with S328. Any more idea? Please. -Ken

I've also noticed a problem retrieving recordings from one nearly full 2TB drive with about 1500 recent 30- and 60-minute series.
So full, I have to try to remove some series to other drives to store more of the current series.
Some have suggested a limit of 1000 shows. Thoughts? -Ken

Sure would like a EHD de-frag program to clean up as I replace shows with smaller versions.
I did that in 1974 for a 256kB fixed-head PDP-11 drive, about $20,000. -Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)