How Difficult/Risky is it to move addresses - Can't take these locals anymore

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I moved from Scranton Wilkes-Barre Market, to NY DMA.. Went from 6 Networks to about 20, and 8 in HD.

I couldn't take my local boring News anymore!

Iceberg, what spotbeam transponders are the NYC locals on? I'll bet Rockstead may be able to get them where he is.

BUZZ WRONG ANSWER

Directv doesnt have the Supers

call sign/channel/TP/sat/spotbeam or conus
WWOR 9 16 D11 @99W 99S
WPIX 11 16 D11 @99W 99S

Okay, so what about the other Superstations: KWGN Denver, KTLA Los Angeles, and WSBK Boston ?

Are those available on DirecTV ?

Just asking. I am thinking about making a change ...

Okay, so what about the other Superstations: KWGN Denver, KTLA Los Angeles, and WSBK Boston ?

Are those available on DirecTV ?

Just asking. I am thinking about making a change ...
No , Directv doesn't offer Super station pack.

D* is really Strict about out of market locals.
I'm not sure how Dish can do it, But it was a nice option.

as for the mail, that stays your billing address
If you have service issues, ya gotta move back to your legit location then "move" when done

Several of my co-workers have "moved" one town over to get the Houston locals, but one of them didn't change back when he called to upgrade to HD. :eek:

The only correct thing you said is that Directv is well aware of this. But you forgot to mention that they really don't care.

The installer called beforehand and was told the correct address, the installer didn't seem to care at all. :)

I never could understand either why Direct was unable to offer "Superstations" except for WGN .
WGN is National Channel . Even my Local cable companys offer that in their Base Packs.

From what I understand is the WGN that we get Nationally, is not the same one Chicago gets Locally!

I "moved" years ago and this will be my address until I leave DTV. I am grandfather in for Chicago locals, and NY and LA big four. The only pain is haveing to do all my own setups and not getting any freebees from DTV.

From what I understand is the WGN that we get Nationally, is not the same one Chicago gets Locally!

correct. WGN America is different than WGN9. WGN9 is a CW affiliate and has different programming at night. Actually WGN9 in most cases has different programing than WGN America

WGN is National Channel . Even my Local cable companys offer that in their Base Packs.

WGN America on DirecTV is way different than WGN OTA here in Chicago. WGN here is a CW affiliate and shows quite a different lineup day and night. The news is generic between the both. Between Syndicated Exclusivity and the CW they are quite different.

Thanks for info about WGN.

Did Direct ever give a reason for not carrying the Superstations that Dish does?
If Syndicated Exclusivity for the superstations is not an issue for Dish, why would it be an issue for Direct..?
Thanks.

nope. Directv & Dish are not allowed to carry CBC at all. Only way would be is if you move (legit move) to a border city or area that has it on cable ;)

Guys, I am thinking of moving , but how do i pick an address on another city. If I randomly pick an address and give it to the Diretv rep and it already has service, am i in trouble, sorry very new to this, appreciate any advice and help.

Guys, I am thinking of moving , but how do i pick an address on another city. If I randomly pick an address and give it to the Diretv rep and it already has service, am i in trouble, sorry very new to this, appreciate any advice and help.

To be safe, I would just add an "Apt. 2" or "Unit 3E" to the address.

Look for a mobile home park in the city or town that you are wanting to move to.
I have used one in Birmingham for years and had no problems. Just use the general address that you find online, a lot number should not be needed using this method.

I live in Chicago but was considering "moving" to Eastern Iowa (Quad Cities, 52801). Would I be in the beam range of those local networks that Directv provides or will I not be able to receive any locals after the move.

Did Direct ever give a reason for not carrying the Superstations that Dish does?
If Syndicated Exclusivity for the superstations is not an issue for Dish, why would it be an issue for Direct..?

It actually IS an issue for the both of them. If an local channel puts in a claim for SE, then DISH MUST comply & black out that said prog in that DMA. Obviously they are NOT going to go that far with individual programs, so there are some DMA's where DISH simple does NOT sell some/all of them. You DO realize that since most of the supers (except WSBK) have prime time prog that duplicates local CW &/or MNT affiliates, & they obviously don't want that prog duplicating their stuff, so there's a potential blackout situation as well.
DirecTV did NOT want the headaches with doing this for a VERY limited number of potential subs, so they choose NOT to do supers - simple as that.

If you MUST have supers & have DirecTV, then get a DISH receiver & sub to them a la carte. I have done this, but to tell you the truth, I rarely even watch them anymore, as so much of their syndicated prog is duplicated on both sets of my locals.

Last edited:
I live in Chicago but was considering "moving" to Eastern Iowa (Quad Cities, 52801). Would I be in the beam range of those local networks that Directv provides or will I not be able to receive any locals after the move.

I'm in Chicago and use Milwaukee's locals. I can also see signal on the Indianapolis locals on 101. Those are the only 2 I can get with being on 101 only, Other markets close are on 119 & 72. I'm talking SD here. You usually have a 150 or so mile range on spot beams where you won't have any problems. I would do like Ice says, see what transponder the quad city's are on and watch that signal for a few days at different times of the day. You want to make sure it's high enough and stays that way. Spotbeams can come and go at different parts of the day because the bird is doing a figure 8 in the box. You don't want intermittent service. The Milwaukee locals in Chicago give me a 95 reading continuously.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)