How many FTA dishes have you seen in your area?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Well, in the last few days, I have seen 3 FTA dishes and on GlobeCast dishes on houses in my travels. One of the FTA's had an LNBF strapped to the mounted one :) So, out of a metro area with an approx population of 125,000, I have seen 3 plus mine :)

I had a new neighbor move in two houses down.

I got a grin when If saw a Fortec 80cm dish and two LNBs go up - looked like it was setup for IA5 / IA6.

Sadly it came down inside of a couple weeks. I don't know if they gave up on it or just moved the dish.

where I live I see allot of C-band dishes but when I go down to the Atlanta suburbs I see quite a few...allot more than I thought I would. I think there is allot of people here that watch the stuff on IA5.

I know of at least 10 FTA/Globecast dishes in my town. There are also a few Superdishes and DirecTV Int’l dishes set up too. Most are on the one road I use to get from one side of town to the other.

Most are on the roof but I have seen a couple bolted to the backside of a deck

I see dtv and dishnetwork everywhere...but I have seen a few that looked different. one was big and on the roof and even looked homemade...abit of rust I think.

with cband the local poolhall has one..probably has had it at least 13 or so years it's on the roof with blocks etc....one of these days I'd offer $$$. they usei t just for sports or locals....reminds me I think the jr high has one too

I haven't seen any that look to be used for FTA. There are however, thousands on rooftops of stores for lottery and Direcway internet. I know where 4 Primestar dishes are, 2 look wore and abandoned (1 in an empty house, the other really weathered), 2 look well kept, could be they are being used for FTA. There are lot's of C-band dishes, most look unused.

Al

Edit: Then again, most stores around here have 2 (some more) dishes. Also, most stores, along with Motel's/Hotel's are run by Asian's, maybe some are being used for FTA.

Last edited:
At least I found 2 homes has a FTA dish and the neat thing is someones has a 3 dishs C-band and FTA KU and DIrectv dish right by the road!

Here in Albuquerque about a million people seams to like directv, than Dish or Comcrap.:D

I wouldn't be suprised more FTA dishs in Albuquerque metro areas yet to be seen by me.:)

So far, I've just seen ours... but there's TONS of dishnetwork and directv dishes on a lot of different roofs all over the place round here. I never really noticed how many until I started fiddling with fta... you pay more attention as you work with this stuff. Last that I saw, that slightly bent, mesh dish on the ground facing down that I mentioned a few weeks back is still sitting at the former Kemper Military School. If I had about 10-20 more square feet in our yard, I'd try to get it for myself, but we don't have the room... don't know if the city would authorize pick up of it, but you never know til you ask.

Lots of Dish Network/DirecTV too. They are doing a lot of building of new houses and there is no cable there so you see dishes across the roofs

I know of 5 or 6 C-band dishes on top of bars. Two Primestar dishes that I know of. One is at an apartment complex and they’re all Mexicans so its not worth asking. The other is on the roof next door to my buddy. He’s gonna ask them to see how much they want to “get rid of it” :D

here in my neck of the woods, I see plenty of dishnetwork/directv, mostly dishnetwork. although, I see plenty of bigger dishes being used mainly for SKY Mexico. I also see a few c-band dishes and an occassional FTA dish or two.

I've never seen a ku dish in my neighborhood, and I've only seen one bud. I don't think the bud is operative as the spider webs are pretty thick. I'm thinking about going over there to see if they'd like me to take it off their hands.

I see mostly E* and D* in my area. There are still several Cband dishes around. A few that are for starband??? . Altho about 6-8 blocks from me there is this house that has the antenna from hell. He also seems to have a few Dishes set up but hard to see without being super nosy.

I see LOTS of c band dishs around here, at least 15-20 of them in a 10 mile radius. C band was big up here until DN and DTV came out, now lots of the c band dishs look unused and you can see a pizza pan dish mounted to the house.

As far as KU band FTA, I know of one house that has 2 dishs set up, and another house with one dish set up.

There's a growing number of KU dishes where I live. Just in the few block area where I walk my dog, there are 6 (plus mine), all appear to be aimed at IA5 and are Laotian families. There are quite a few all over town. Mine's the only one I've seen with a motor.

There are also many, many Dish 500s... a large number of them latino families getting the Spanish package. You need a Super Dish to get our locals, and I don't see many of those. There are still a few c-band dishes around, but not many.

Our town is 25% hispanic and 5% Laotian, and that seems to be where the most interest is in dishes. For the rest of the population, there are two cable providers so not a lot of interest in Direct TV or Dish Network.

In two little towns near here, the cable provider went bankrupt and folded. Lots of Super Dishes in both towns.

Around my area (Southern Ontario) there are lots of ExpressVu dishes, and a little less StarChoice. There are still a few DirecTV. When I was setting up my nephews ExpressVu dish, I aimed it like one a few roofs down, and up came Dish Network. Unless you take out a compass, you can not tell to easily if the Bell dish is pointed at Bell or Dish. I pass a couple of FTA dishes on the way to work, and see the odd C band dish. Most of the C band dishes appear to be unused. The dishes seem to be mounted in all places. I have seen them bolted to a tree, to a 4x4 post, directly on the shingles of the roof, and even like mine on a TV tower.

There is one other 76-80 cm dish on my street a well as one C band and another C band around the corner. I live in a "pre-covenant" type neighborhood so roof or yard..doesn't mater.

:hatsoff:

icstephen said:
where I live I see allot of C-band dishes but when I go down to the Atlanta suburbs I see quite a few...allot more than I thought I would. I think there is allot of people here that watch the stuff on IA5.
Yea Stephen.Down here in Gwinnett County it's become quite the melting pot.I see systems all the time and I can only assume most are pointed at IA5.

There are two disconnected DirecTV dishes just on my street.
There are couple of 30" + mine, OTA UHF only antennas are quite popular, and 2 8-footers within a quorter of mile. This is south San Jose

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)