How much $ to add more receivers?

ChrisDuncan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
I got in on the $1 installation deal back in December. I just had one receiver installed. How much would Voom charge me if I wanted to add a couple more?

My house is already wired for sat so theoretically Voom could just mail me the new receivers, although I don't know if they'd go for that. I'm just wondering if there would be a charge to add a couple more receivers since I only got one the first time around instead of 3.

Assuming Voom survives of course....

I just checked into this last week. Voom will not allow a self install. In other words they won't ship the receiver to you and allow you to install it. If you already have service, any new receivers will cost you $199 each for install. Then you have to pay an additional $14.50 per month per receiver. Plus if you are grandfathered into the $79.90 VaVaVoom price like me, you will lose that price and be paying $89.90 plus the new receiver costs per month. For me to add a receiver to the bedroom it would cost me the $199. Then my monthly bill would have gone up $24.50 plus tax. Since I live alone I just ended up running a coax from my Voom box into the bedroom. I already had one of those antenna things so I can use the remote from the bedroom. Voom just wanted too much for a second box.

I wonder if the people who are still paying 39.95 and 79.95 for there packages will be able to keep them if they upgrade to the DRV if and when it comes out.

Adding a DVR is a a great way for VOOM to get rid of those grandfathered packages. It could be what they do to sell up those customers.

Hi, It cost $199.00 for the first one and $49.99 for each additional one. How do I know? Because I had it done a couple months after my first install was done. Been a few months since then so I would call and ask.

upgrade to the DRV

roachxp said:
I wonder if the people who are still paying 39.95 and 79.95 for there packages will be able to keep them if they upgrade to the DRV if and when it comes out.
My plan is to buy the DVR and pay for installation along with any mirror fees for an additional unit. The 79.90 should remain the same.

ram1220 said:
I just checked into this last week. Voom will not allow a self install. In other words they won't ship the receiver to you and allow you to install it. If you already have service, any new receivers will cost you $199 each for install. Then you have to pay an additional $14.50 per month per receiver. Plus if you are grandfathered into the $79.90 VaVaVoom price like me, you will lose that price and be paying $89.90 plus the new receiver costs per month. For me to add a receiver to the bedroom it would cost me the $199. Then my monthly bill would have gone up $24.50 plus tax. Since I live alone I just ended up running a coax from my Voom box into the bedroom. I already had one of those antenna things so I can use the remote from the bedroom. Voom just wanted too much for a second box.

I don't know who you talked to, but I just got off the phone with a Voom CSR and it cost $49 total to add 2 more receivers, and $5 a month per receiver. I told them I already had the wiring done, but this was the best they could do. I guess they just require an installer to come out no matter what.
I don't know why they told you it would be so expensive. I have Vavavoom plus Playboy HD, maybe they were giving me a discount, but the way she sounded it was the same for everybody.

ChrisDuncan said:
I don't know who you talked to, but I just got off the phone with a Voom CSR and it cost $49 total to add 2 more receivers, and $5 a month per receiver. I told them I already had the wiring done, but this was the best they could do. I guess they just require an installer to come out no matter what.
I don't know why they told you it would be so expensive. I have Vavavoom plus Playboy HD, maybe they were giving me a discount, but the way she sounded it was the same for everybody.

Well this is what I thought too. But like I wrote I spoke with a CSR last week and what I wrote is what I was told.
Now to be fair I just called again and asked. I was told by another CSR that the $49 deal is ok but I would still have to give up my grandfathered pricing and I would have to make a 6 month commitment as well as pay an additional $14.50 per month for the reveiver. With my package not being grandfathered anymore, this would be a price increase of $24.50 a month just to add 1 more receiver. Unacceptable to me. Plus there is no way I'm going to commit for 6 months when the picture quality from Voom is so poor right now. I'd like the chance to leave whenever I want to since PQ is not high on Voom's priority list right now.
So I guess the moral of the story is to call back over and over. Because each time I do I'm told something else by a different CSR.

Why do they make it difficult for subs who have been faithful to upgrade their package or expand their service. I just dont get it.

adding receivers

Originally Posted by ChrisDuncan

This is correct, i paid $49 for 2 more receivers. and the $5 a month is accurate as well. I now have 4 total installed LOVE MY VOOM!! :D

Dish charges $549 for their HD-DVR and DTV $999. So I am guessing we can figure that at least $500 when that option is available -unless VOOM wants to lease while building market share.

aspanjer said:
Dish charges $549 for their HD-DVR and DTV $999. So I am guessing we can figure that at least $500 when that option is available -unless VOOM wants to lease while building market share.
With VOOM HD LLC being a new entity, I believe it will be too costly for them to lease the HD DVR. Having said that, partially funding the HD DVR---perhaps $349---with a 12 month commitment would be beneficial to all. As hardware becomes cheaper, new installs may consist of one HD DVR and HD or SD thin-clients, as required.

I dont know if I would invest 350 in a DVR that I might not get a couple of mths out of. VOOM will have to have a lease option for me to get in...and I think they will.

WHy would they charge some people $5 per month for each receiver and other people $14.95 per month? THat makes no sense at all.

If and When the Voom HD DVR arrives, I assume those who want it, would exchange it for their current STB...
When the DVR is offered, I would like to keep my curent STB (maybe network it with the DVR) and move it to another room, any guesses on how they would handle/charge for those cases?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)