How often will I lose service? (DirecTV)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I apologize to those who understand it. But all who don't need to learn and not make stupid blatant statements since thats all they know. Why would a friend of mine who runs a large commercial satellite installation company locally that installs broadcast headends say that here in Chicago rain fade is an issue with all ku even on 15 foot dishes if it wasn't true. He stated commercial installs using 1.2's and larger also have issues. I don't want to stir the pot up. I'm just posting my experiences and information from other knowledgeable people in the field. There are area's in the country that get hit hard no matter what the nay sayers claim.

Hey, now you are starting to sound reasonable! ;) Back to your install: If you are having reception issues when there are clouds or light rain, then you have an install issue. Perhaps you should have Directv come out and check it.

Hey, now you are starting to sound reasonable! ;) Back to your install: If you are having reception issues when there are clouds or light rain, then you have an install issue. Perhaps you should have Directv come out and check it.

Believe it or not I'm a reasonable person. I spend 99% of my time in the c band, 4D and fta forums here at sat guys. I have helped out many and do good for the 4D players. I have found that the Direct forum is very touchy to anything that is said against it. It's weird since the other forums here don't act like that.

Anyway as I said Directs installers cannot change the laws of physics, it is what it is. My contract runs out in 2012. I really doubt that I will have Direct or any pizza service past that point. I had my fill of it and will be glad to give Direct their receiver back gift wrapped. Hell I may throw a pizza party that day and invite friends to partake in some sausage & cheese. :D

Believe it or not I'm a reasonable person. I spend 99% of my time in the c band, 4D and fta forums here at sat guys. I have helped out many and do good for the 4D players. I have found that the Direct forum is very touchy to anything that is said against it. It's weird since the other forums here don't act like that.

Anyway as I said Directs installers cannot change the laws of physics, it is what it is. My contract runs out in 2012. I really doubt that I will have Direct or any pizza service past that point. I had my fill of it and will be glad to give Direct their receiver back gift wrapped. Hell I may throw a pizza party that day and invite friends to partake in some sausage & cheese. :D

See, now you are sounding less reasonable. The laws of physics aren't any different where you are than where I am, or anyone else on the planet for that matter. My dish, and the VAST majority of Directv subs, have no ongoing problem with reception. You have a problem with your installation, that's why it doesn't work correctly. The weather where you are isn't any worse than much of the country. Now, let's try it again! Why don't you want Directv to fix your installation?

See, now you are sounding less reasonable. The laws of physics aren't any different where you are than where I am, or anyone else on the planet for that matter. My dish, and the VAST majority of Directv subs, have no ongoing problem with reception. You have a problem with your installation, that's why it doesn't work correctly. The weather where you are isn't any worse than much of the country. Now, let's try it again! Why don't you want Directv to fix your installation?
Another possibility is simple exaggeration of the rain fade "problem", based on a simple dislike for the "pizza service" providers in general.

If that is not the case, then I agree with Raoul. It isnt that he, or I, or any of the other millions of subs have exceptional installs. Its that something is wrong with yours (tvropro).

Edit: I do want to clarify. I am not in any way saying that you can eliminate rain fade with dish or Directv. You WILL get it from time to time. You can however minimize it to a few minutes and then only in cases of extreme weather.

i had worse rain fade with dish than directv but whatever. if tvropro has his signals in the high 90's and even at 100 and still goes out with every storm then i have no idea how this can be fixed. there really isn't anything to fix. my dish is peaked as well and it goes out with pretty much every storm. but here's the weird thing, when i lived 50 miles up north, my dish was set up the exact same way yet i rarely ever had rain fade no matter the storm. i still don't get that one unless since now i'm further south east then this would be the reason. in the meantime when the dish goes out i take a peak at the sd channels since KA is less susceptible to rain fade and most of the time i can still see those channels unlike the HD ones on KU.

Last edited:
i had worse rain fade with dish than directv but whatever. if tvropro has his signals in the high 90's and even at 100 and still goes out with every storm then i have no idea how this can be fixed. there really isn't anything to fix. my dish is peaked as well and it goes out with pretty much every storm. but here's the weird thing, when i lived 50 miles up north, my dish was set up the exact same way yet i rarely ever had rain fade no matter the storm. i still don't get that one unless since now i'm further south east then this would be the reason. in the meantime when the dish goes out i take a peak at the sd channels since KA is less susceptible to rain fade and most of the time i can still can those channels unlike the HD ones on KU.

Thank you for clarifying that there is more than one area the has these problem's. No matter what I do I cannot get ones here to believe what I see. I'm just not in DirecTv country I guess.

Edit: I do want to clarify. I am not in any way saying that you can eliminate rain fade with dish or Directv. You WILL get it from time to time. You can however minimize it to a few minutes and then only in cases of extreme weather.

I don't consider 30 to 60 minute downtime in large storms reasonable. My FTA Ku goes out too. C band rocks and rolls without missing a beat.:music: Even DVBS2 8PSK Mpeg 4 on weak transponders.

i had worse rain fade with dish than directv but whatever. if tvropro has his signals in the high 90's and even at 100 and still goes out with every storm then i have no idea how this can be fixed. there really isn't anything to fix. my dish is peaked as well and it goes out with pretty much every storm. but here's the weird thing, when i lived 50 miles up north, my dish was set up the exact same way yet i rarely ever had rain fade no matter the storm. i still don't get that one unless since now i'm further south east then this would be the reason. in the meantime when the dish goes out i take a peak at the sd channels since KA is less susceptible to rain fade and most of the time i can still can those channels unlike the HD ones on KU.

Yeah, maybe so. But, at least he would get a free PPV everytime it rained!:D

ANYONE that lives in the South that tells you that Directv doesn't have rain fade is a damn liar. Or they don't watch much TV. I had a system installed in March, have 95-100 on all TP's ,and if its much more than a moderate rain, there goes the Ka, So I get no HD. Pain in the ass. Directv made a huge mistake with Ka for those of us that have rain most EVERY day. I ave resigned myself to the fact that if it rains, I better want to watch SD because anything HD and my locals will not work. I had it EVERY day last week, about 30-45 minutes a day.

And all of you that think just because we have c-band dishes in the yard we are a bunch of knuckledraggers, think again. We likely know more about directv and how the signals work than you do. All of the installers I have ever had here were absolutely flummoxed looking at my c-band dishes, I always make it a point to ask them if they know how to aim one, I haven't had one say yes yet. After you do FTA, aiming a directv dish is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Don't put down what you don't understand.

There is a long list of causes for fade. Rain is the easiest one to spell and understand. You are in a tropical zone and you get rain. Folks in Alaska set snow & wind & mountains & a 10 degree elevation. You hear them bitching and complaining also. Just be glad you don't live in a woods or an apartment with a north exposure.

I think the Ka signal at 99 & 103 was a licensing thing...they were allowed to park the satellites three degrees away from the 101 if they used the Ka frequencies. Most sat locations are nine degrees apart (you knew that)....but we have come a long way from rabbit ears and set top boxes

Directv is now out here in MD...the result of a storm that missed LA no doubt.

Joe

heh heh thats funny

I know you havent been in the Dish forum but they go after anyone that talks "bad" about Dish
And you personally have talked bad when someone attacks 1DTV. Folks ask for options to get more channels and we help with the pros and cons of Dish or Directv and then the old attacks start
Hell you have started numerous ANTI-Directv threads in other places here.

heh heh thats funny

I know you havent been in the Dish forum but they go after anyone that talks "bad" about Dish
And you personally have talked bad when someone attacks 1DTV. Folks ask for options to get more channels and we help with the pros and cons of Dish or Directv and then the old attacks start
Hell you have started numerous ANTI-Directv threads in other places here.

Can you revoke his access to the D* forum? :eek:

nah. Only if someone is seriously trolling then we might.

I already told him the easy way to get Directv out of his house and not pay a fee...but he doesnt want to do that

nah. Only if someone is seriously trolling then we might.

I already told him the easy way to get Directv out of his house and not pay a fee...but he doesnt want to do that

Wow. If he hates it so much then he should get rid of it. So we wouldn't have to hear his constant bi***ing about it anymore.

Wow. If he hates it so much then he should get rid of it. So we wouldn't have to hear his constant bi***ing about it anymore.

Thats exactly it. When you suggest that, he complains about the ETF. Yet Ice told him to send him the receiver and he would pay out the contract for him (it's not even like he's got a standard plan, he's on one that's what, $20 a month?). But tvropro would much rather keep it so he has something to bitch about.

Thats exactly it. When you suggest that, he complains about the ETF. Yet Ice told him to send him the receiver and he would pay out the contract for him (it's not even like he's got a standard plan, he's on one that's what, $20 a month?). But tvropro would much rather keep it so he has something to bitch about.

He only pays $20 a month and he's still bi***ing about it. Wow. That is really nice of Ice to pay out his contract. I guess he just wants something to bi*** about. :rolleyes: He can't even get most of the popular networks on C-Band anyway.

He only pays $20 a month and he's still bi***ing about it. Wow. That is really nice of Ice to pay out his contract. I guess he just wants something to bi*** about. :rolleyes: He can't even get most of the popular networks on C-Band anyway.

He is on family plan for $30 but called about something and D* was nice enough to offer $10 off for a year making it $20 for family. His contract runs out July next year and yeah I offered a month ago for him to send me the receiver, change the address so I can get a neighboring DMA (even in SD it may be nice) and I'll send him $20 a month to run out the contract. I know he hates Directv but wont pay the ETF on "principal" so I said I would ;) Then he wouldnt have to worry about Directv
But he'd rather complain instead....

Funny as when he got D* he was so excited to get some channels back that he lost and even was taught how to "move" (by me) to get Milwaukee locals. I guess something changed....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts