HR44-700 losing signal but not "searching for signal". HELP!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

x3ro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
Alright guys, this started happening earlier this week. Went to watch TV, and the screen was black. I could watch recorded shows and the menus and everything worked. There was no "searching for signal" message showing on the screen, so I went and did a signal test. The box got really sluggish while I was trying to do this, and all of the transponders showed zero.

So, I went into the settings menu and restarted the box. Once it was done doing it's thing, everything worked fine. Everything was fine for a couple days, then it happened again. I restarted the box through settings again, and all was well. Last night we went to watch TV and the same thing happened again, but this time, the signal kept dropping out without a "searching for signal" message.

As far as set up, it's a genie setup with the main box being an HR44-700 and then the other boxes are two small genie boxes (not sure which ones). We hardly use the small genie boxes. All of this that happened was through the HR44.

As far as other equipment, there's the dish, and then a single line goes from the dish to what looks like a splitter. Then there's a line from each splitter (that's outside; I live in an apartment) that goes directly to each box.

Can anyone give me any insight into what's going on here, and what I need to do to fix the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Alright guys, this started happening earlier this week. Went to watch TV, and the screen was black. I could watch recorded shows and the menus and everything worked. There was no "searching for signal" message showing on the screen, so I went and did a signal test. The box got really sluggish while I was trying to do this, and all of the transponders showed zero.

So, I went into the settings menu and restarted the box. Once it was done doing it's thing, everything worked fine. Everything was fine for a couple days, then it happened again. I restarted the box through settings again, and all was well. Last night we went to watch TV and the same thing happened again, but this time, the signal kept dropping out without a "searching for signal" message.

As far as set up, it's a genie setup with the main box being an HR44-700 and then the other boxes are two small genie boxes (not sure which ones). We hardly use the small genie boxes. All of this that happened was through the HR44.

As far as other equipment, there's the dish, and then a single line goes from the dish to what looks like a splitter. Then there's a line from each splitter (that's outside; I live in an apartment) that goes directly to each box.

Can anyone give me any insight into what's going on here, and what I need to do to fix the issue?

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like an HDMI issue, searching for signal is a TV message

I can't see it being an HDMI issue, considering that while there's no programming on the screen, the menus and everything work perfectly fine, and I can watch recorded shows. Just all the channels are black. This same behavior happens on the Genie boxes whenever this happens; I think I forgot to mention that in the original post. Those two have black screens for all the channels, no "searching for signal" message, and the menus and recorded shows work fine.

Also, we have HD programming, if that matters.

I can't see it being an HDMI issue, considering that while there's no programming on the screen, the menus and everything work perfectly fine, and I can watch recorded shows. Just all the channels are black. This same behavior happens on the Genie boxes whenever this happens; I think I forgot to mention that in the original post. Those two have black screens for all the channels, no "searching for signal" message, and the menus and recorded shows work fine.

Also, we have HD programming, if that matters.
If its the directv it should have a number with it. For example searching for satellite (771), cabling issue (775)

Sort of sounds like a HDMI handshake issue .... maybe someone else can chime in.

I still can't see it as an HDMI handshake issue since whenever this happens I can still play recorded HD content just fine.

This happens with DirecTV receivers. You're lucky you have the HR44 which does it less. I suggest a ce download.

It happens occasionally for me, like three times in the 2 months I have had the HR44. Not since the CE download with the season and episode info. It was several times a week with my old HR34.

It happens occasionally for me, like three times in the 2 months I have had the HR44. Not since the CE download with the season and episode info. It was several times a week with my old HR34.
I have an HR44-700 and its never happened, but I don't have any clients either...

I have an HR44-700 and its never happened, but I don't have any clients either...

No clients here. But I have seen exactly what the thread is about. I really suggest the new CE software... Best I have seen in my time with DirecTV. Zero issues and fast, responsive guide.

So this seems to be a software issue with the box? I would almost have to assume so, because when I reset, I get all the channels back just fine.... before it finally goes black again.

So this seems to be a software issue with the box? I would almost have to assume so, because when I reset, I get all the channels back just fine.... before it finally goes black again.

Check out the cutting edge section of this site and be ready Friday night!

Nevermind.... Now I have the black screen but everything else works too. Guide, menu, etc. No video or audio on anything except AM21 channels.

Oops! You jinxed yourself!
x3ro, it does sound like a software problem, so doing the CE download tomorrow after 11PM EST may be the solution.

Reactions: ejb1980
Thanks for the tips on the CE update. I installed that update on Friday night, and haven't had this issue since. So it was definitely a software issue. Thanks guys :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)