HS17-100 (For those wondering)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
tuner count,
ota usage,
heck what about 4k streams. how many can the h3 do?
ability to record all tuners.

Guess we'll have to wait until the official word by ATT. If this can only have 7 active sessions at one, whether that be 5 recordings and 2 live tv sessions, etc.. then I'll have to think long and hard about "upgrading" to this.
There are times when there may be 4 TV's going at one time, plus 3-5 recordings going on. Such as when friends, family, etc.. visit. Right now it's not a huge problem since I have H25's on the other 4 TV's along with HR54 on the main. Hence, ability to record 4 shows while everything else is going on.

One step forward, two steps back scenario going on. More 4k viewing at the same time, but no OTA, split-screen most likely gone. If ATT could just grab the Hopper 3 and use it. :)

No longer an OTA options with the new one, thats a bad thing, then again ya can't take it with you when your RVing or tailgating anyways.

You would have to break your back to find an am21 anyway. The database setup was doomed to fail, let the thing scan, dish rarely has problems with that. Anyway, it says 7 simultaneous recordings and 7 active rvu sessions, a recording isn't an rvu session so if you are recording 7 things could you watch 4 other things live? I'm sure the extra tuners are for 4K (as the 54 has 7 but only uses 5) but why couldn't you utilize them if you're not watching 4K?

You would have to break your back to find an am21 anyway. The database setup was doomed to fail, let the thing scan, dish rarely has problems with that. Anyway, it says 7 simultaneous recordings and 7 active rvu sessions, a recording isn't an rvu session so if you are recording 7 things could you watch 4 other things live? I'm sure the extra tuners are for 4K (as the 54 has 7 but only uses 5) but why couldn't you utilize them if you're not watching 4K?
As for the am21 Direct obviously doesn't want subs to use them as they have never really been supported by them, they should still have the ability to use them in the new system ...
Directv made a mistake when they removed the tuners from the recvrs .... people complained that they couldn't get thier OTA channels, D* thought that at the time the limited number of Locals they had available was gonna do it for them. D* expects you to just accept that they have Locals on the sat for you, but they don't give you all of the ones people want ... I don't need a bunch, give me the main Big 4 and maybe MeTV and I'm good, others aern't.
Anyways, after D* got enough complaints about the Locals, the AM21 appeared, this worked well as it integrated the locals into the D* guide.
Now you could record your OTA channels again.

Now the AM 21 is being phased out, if not gone already.
Where do we go from here, if you can't get locals from D*, you can't record them ... thats a huge step backwards.

Example, I just got back from Texas where I had no locals available to me from D* because they are on the 119 Sat and I could only get the 101 with our current set up.
No longer taking the Slimline dish down there. Automatic Dome works great, except it only gets the 101.

Therefore I needed to use an OTA antenna, which I did.

According to D* in the future, I will not be able to watch the locals when I travel ... :what:oops::redface:oldmad

anyone else disappointed and things the hs-17 is a fail, or at least sub par from what it should have been?
these are my comments i posted on edgecutter

i think this is a big fail.

7 streams, no ota, headless, cant use legacy receivers

so if i upgraded from my genie hr24 setup, i wouldn't gain anything really, other then 3 channels of 4k
but i would be stuck with slow clients, and if the main went out, i would have nothing

i am truly disappointed

Reactions: TermiNader
I wouldn't say it's a big failure. I do agree the lack of any OTA support is a bad decision, I was unhappy when I plugged an AM21 into it and it never saw it.

Speed wise it's been awhile since I had a HR24 in my setup but I don't see who it could be slower in the UI. I pull up the guide and hit page down and there's no way you can read the text as it speeds by.

I think DIRECTV is just continuing their product design for the typical user, not the power user. Guess that strategy works for them.

Glad this out in the public now, it will miss watching all the wild guessing that was going on here in the past few months.

I am glad the info is out there now, after I first started posting details here I was asked if I wanted one to test, which I declined. (I don't have time to test things other companies send me.)

I am glad yet sad that they are getting rid of the pin. Glad because its an easier setup, but sad because I like swapping between the RVU on the 4K Set in my bedroom and the C61K hooked to the 4K TV in the living room.

I am disappointed with the small hard drive size, only 400 hours. This should have been upgraded since hard drive prices have come down so much. Its too bad DIRECTV does not have a decent way of doing external hard drives.

Scott, having read your review on the Hopper 3, I am wondering why "D" bothered with the sideways evolution of the Genie 2. I expected sooo much more. Maybe not 15 tuners but at least 9. Minimum 2TB hard drive and switching to a USB connection for EHDs. Giant refresh to the GUI.

Unfortunate what this has come out as. While being able to watch 4k on two TV's is better, that's going to be outdated as soon any of the big channels comes out with 4k, whether HBO, ESPN, etc..
Only 7 tuners is a big fail. If Dish can come up with the Hopper 3, you'd think AT&T/Direct could at least equal it.

I'll have to think about this. 90% of the time there is 2 TV's going, which would allow 5 recordings. It's the other 10% of the time that could cause problems.

Yea, seeing the box show 15 tuners active and being able to use only 7 is really depressing.

Unfortunate what this has come out as. While being able to watch 4k on two TV's is better, that's going to be outdated as soon any of the big channels comes out with 4k, whether HBO, ESPN, etc..
Only 7 tuners is a big fail. If Dish can come up with the Hopper 3, you'd think AT&T/Direct could at least equal it.

I'll have to think about this. 90% of the time there is 2 TV's going, which would allow 5 recordings. It's the other 10% of the time that could cause problems.

if it allowed recordings to be viewed while recording on the 7 tuners (think watching recording on hr24 while recording 2 things)
then it would be much better.
but 7 total streams includes recordings and viewing

The one thing I don't like how you can't have the H/HR equipment hooked up to the HS-17. If the HS-17 breaks you are screwed and can't watch TV until they ship you another one. Unless they will have plenty of these on hand and then they could ship you one the next day. Even on the weekends.

Status
Please reply by conversation.