I need info on new hopper plus

Not sure how this is going to show up on here but this is a picture I just took of a face on my TV, 4K feed and you can see the definition and the details and this is what I'm not seeing on the hopper Plus

Aaaand of course it looks nothing like it does on my TV lol. The colors are not that bright irl, for example, but you can see the darks are not over-exposed

Attachments

• PXL_20220922_192708799.jpg
    PXL_20220922_192708799.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 69
I finally did get through to a CSR from Dish, and I have a Tech Visit a week from tomorrow. But, the big question that I do have, the CSR said that I didn't need a Joey 4. That the Equipment that I have is fine. I thought that I needed a Joey 4, for the Hopper Plus to work properly. Immediate answers would be appreciated.
The Hopper Plus System requires the Joey 4 and will not work with the 4K Joey at all so I was told by the Dish tech during my install today. By the way get a early AM appointment and expect it to take all day! Mine took 9 hours today!

• Wow
Reactions: charlesrshell
Make sure the tech turns the bad ones back in. I just received a return box from Dish today. Spent 25 minutes on hold to find out the tech still has not turned in the bad Hopper + he activated and then replaced. I will see what happens if he does not turn it in and they try to charge me for it.
This was a in house Dish employee tech who showed me he removed them all! THANKS!

So I live 35 miles one way outside of town. The Dish employee tech arrived at 9am Jose was very professional and really got to work and you could see he was experienced BUT said this was only his fourth Hopper Plus. He checked my dish and signal changed out my LNB. He had a USB thumb drive for the hopper upgrade. it had 11 different software versions on it and not just for the Hopper but also for the Plus and Joeys. That took an hour. During that time, we removed the 4K joeys and got the Joey 4s in place but not connected. The Hopper froze and needed to be rebooted after we were able to try the first Plus which froze at 50% then the second also froze at 50% at this point, we swapped out the Hopper stared the update while he left for lunch. Once he came back, we tried the third Plus and had success but now the Joeys failed another hour flashing the updates onto the Hopper we had everything working pairing the remotes and all went back to the Hopper to see the Google logo frozen "The screen of death" Swapped out the Plus for the fourth time and 9 hours later both of us exhausted everything was updated and working. I am just now getting dinner. I made Shure he called his supervisor, and I thanked him directly. I will also call Loyalty and reply to their survey with praise for the tech (not the Plus) From what I experienced the setup should be done at their warehouse and then a working set brought out to the customer. The 5 minutes I have seen of it I love it! The graphics the picture everything is really good! I will spend tonight customizing and exploring and give another update. THANK YOU ALL For all your help and support!

I know I have asked this before, but would it speed up the process at all to go ahead and have the customer pre-download the ATV Files from the Technician Settings in the Tools menu? That way, at least all of the available Hopper Plus and Joey 4 software versions are already stored on the Hopper. It sounds like the thumb drive method takes an hour before you even get started hooking up the new equipment. I'm just wondering if the transfer from the Hopper to install the new software on each device (Hopper Plus and/or Joey 4) would go faster if the Hopper had already completed the download ahead of time.

I know I have asked this before, but would it speed up the process at all to go ahead and have the customer pre-download the ATV Files from the Technician Settings in the Tools menu? That way, at least all of the available Hopper Plus and Joey 4 software versions are already stored on the Hopper. It sounds like the thumb drive method takes an hour before you even get started hooking up the new equipment. I'm just wondering if the transfer from the Hopper to install the new software on each device (Hopper Plus and/or Joey 4) would go faster if the Hopper had already completed the download ahead of time.
SOMETHING MUST BE DONE! He had a 32gb thumb drive that was 3/4 full. I tried to make a copy of it, but it was not just files but a execute file (plug and play automatically) He said it was too big and changes often to be sent by satellite. The main problem were those files not being properly installed. NOT his procedure. He had a training cheat sheet we both followed exactly. My best thought is bringing a paired set that is already updated and working. A 9-hour installation and the need to refurbish one Hopper 3 and 3 Plus is a very BIG problem! This was after the first installer had no equipment and a Hopper 3 shipped 2nd day air. He was able to take that hopper back.

He said it was too big and changes often to be sent by satellite.
To be clear, the ATV Files download I described from the Technician Settings is done by using the internet connection, not by satellite.

My best thought is bringing a paired set that is already updated and working.
I like this idea for new customer installs. For existing customer upgrades, it may be a little trickier, unless they are going to swap out the Hopper each and every time. In other words, perhaps the Hopper Plus and Joey 4's could have their software updated ahead of time, but the necessary files to integrate that into the Hopper still need to be downloaded to the existing Hopper somehow.

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
THANK YOU that was very helpful
What final versions of the software did you end up getting installed? Perhaps downloading from the usb thumb drive allowed only specific software to be downloaded versus downloading directly via hopper 3 for the ATV files for hopper + and Joey 4. Maybe that is my issue that I need the specific versions that are on the thumb drive versus me downloading from the ATV files in the hopper 3. Thanks

I think the ones directly download from ATV section may be what is causing issues as it may not be the exact versions needed to get the H+ set up vs what they have on the thumb drives?

The Hopper Plus System requires the Joey 4 and will not work with the 4K Joey at all so I was told by the Dish tech during my install today. By the way get a early AM appointment and expect it to take all day! Mine took 9 hours today!
The 4K Joey would work, but only as it always have and would not have AndroidTV on it

This was one of the big problems we had.
It's not a problem. It's part of the USB process and sticks there forever, but it IS part of the process of unpacking the software onto the Hopper and they cannot do the entire process at the warehouse. I pre-download off the USB Drive, 2 of each Hopper at my house so I'm not sitting at the customers watching. The Hopper Sling takes 85 minutes to install, and then another 30 for the Plus. But the Plus and the Joeys cannot even be plugged in, until all the equipment is activated on the customer's account. Sadly, and I have advocated for this many times on the Techs' forum to do what I do at night but Dish in-house guys don't have that luxury as they don't always have the same van, each day.

Sorry man, but it sounds like Jose didn't follow the process, wasn't sure about what he was seeing or his cheat sheet was not correct

It's not a problem. It's part of the USB process and sticks there forever, but it IS part of the process of unpacking the software onto the Hopper and they cannot do the entire process at the warehouse. I pre-download off the USB Drive, 2 of each Hopper at my house so I'm not sitting at the customers watching. The Hopper Sling takes 85 minutes to install, and then another 30 for the Plus. But the Plus and the Joeys cannot even be plugged in, until all the equipment is activated on the customer's account. Sadly, and I have advocated for this many times on the Techs' forum to do what I do at night but Dish in-house guys don't have that luxury as they don't always have the same van, each day.

Sorry man, but it sounds like Jose didn't follow the process, wasn't sure about what he was seeing or his cheat sheet was not correct
Do you think we can download the ATV files from the Hopper 3 itself which should be the lastest versions for the Hooper + and Joey 4's or does that software have to be downloaded from the USB Drives that installers have? Is there a difference in the software that is needed initially to get the Hopper + going? Thanks!

We saw at the end at least for the Joeys was the stick or Hopper did not accept the software the first time but did the second. We started looking up the software shown and saw it was missing. We did make one big mistake in when we swapped out the hopper we forgot to plug in the eithernet. I am up and running. it was slow last night but this morning is much faster. Some apps are crashing. I have the Miramar Air Show today! I will post software versions in just a minute

What final versions of the software did you end up getting installed? Perhaps downloading from the usb thumb drive allowed only specific software to be downloaded versus downloading directly via hopper 3 for the ATV files for hopper + and Joey 4. Maybe that is my issue that I need the specific versions that are on the thumb drive versus me downloading from the ATV files in the hopper 3. Thanks
Here are the screen shots of software versions. By the way the 40.0 remote only partly works.