IA5 and LNBF??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mrtrance

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
I was wondering if I would be able to get a good signal quality from IA5 by using a fortec 36" dish along with a 0.6dB lnbf? Some have recommended that the minimum a lnbf should be for this satellite is 0.4dB. Since I live in southern california will I have any issue with using a 0.6dB with a 36" dish to get good signal from IA5? Will I see that much of a difference going from 0.6dB to 0.4dB? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Should have NO PROBLEMS! With the 0.6dB LNBF and IA-5 in C.A. (Just back from L.A.)

Should have no problems with IA5 and the Fortec .6 lnbf and a 36" dish. I have the same lnbf with a 30" dish, with no problems here in Georgia. If you haven't already gotten it, I would recommend you getting the .4 lnbf, or better yet, a .3 lnbf. The lower the db and/or the larger the dish, the better reception should be. Just some suggestions, you may wish later you had opted for lower and/or bigger. But, you should be OK with it.

Al

I am in CA and I got very good signal from IA5 with a cheap LNB that I bought on eBay(could be 0.6 or even worse, I don't know). You shouldn't have any problems.

Iceberg said:
IA5 works fine with a 30" dish and a .5 LNB here in Minnesota :)

Since I'm a newbie. should I opt for the bigger 36" dish to begin with or will I be ok with the 31" fortec dish?

A 30" dish will work for 98% of FTA channels, 98% of the time.

ALWAYS get as big a dish as you can afford and get away with as its often the first thing members upgrade!

PSB said:
A 30" dish will work for 98% of FTA channels, 98% of the time.

ALWAYS get as big a dish as you can afford and get away with as its often the first thing members upgrade!

So there should be no problem with getting IA5 with like the 80cm (31")dish. The only reason I'm asking is in the future I might get a globecast receiver. I've heard that the receiver they provide is very weak so you would need to get at least a 36" dish to receive good quality. Otherwise, I would rather stick with a smaller dish if possible. IA5 is the only satellite I'm concerned with. I don't know if like 5" inches will make a difference or not in regards to the installation.

mrtrance said:
So there should be no problem with getting IA5 with like the 80cm (31")dish.
no. I can pick it up just fine and I am in the far northern part of the footprint

The only reason I'm asking is in the future I might get a globecast receiver. I've heard that the receiver they provide is very weak so you would need to get at least a 36" dish to receive good quality. Otherwise, I would rather stick with a smaller dish if possible.
uh oh. I've heard that too. Hopefully someone can chime in

IA5 is the only satellite I'm concerned with. I don't know if like 5" inches will make a difference or not in regards to the installation.
it can make a HUGE difference. Here is an example

G10 there is one transponder that is low (30-32 quality on my Pansat 1500) with a 30". With a 36" it jumps to 48-50.

A larger dish doesnt do much for the strong transponders, but it can really help the weaker ones.

In my experience the Globecast receiver is junk, OK for frying an egg on as they REALLY do heat up!

But the low signal problem is also associated with the dish just a bit too small for use this far north! (MN.)

If there is only a $20 price difference between a 33" digiwave dish/ku dual standard lnb vs 36" fortec /ku dual standard lnb which one should I go for?

Bigger is always better :)

(Apart from when it comes to Moderators, then the wee Scottish ones are best :) )

If there is only a $20 difference, I'd get the 36" dish. Belive me...you'll be kicking yourself when there is something you like only to be ruined by low quality

I have the globecast system which includes the .75 meter Elliptical Antenna , receiver and lnb (which I believe is marked as .6) The maximun signal strength I can get for IA5 with a perfectly clear view has never been over 70% on the globecat receiver meter and that is on 11966 H and I believe that is a strong TP. On 12177 I only manage between 45 and 53 % Maybe that TP is not as strong? I bought it to subscribe to Setanta which is on 11898 and the highest i've managed there is between 63 and 67% these readings are at night, in the day it reads about 5 to 7 % less. I used the accutrac 22 pro meter to tweak the signal, before that my readings where at least 10% lower. I also have a 18" x 20" dish with circular lnb's for the music NASA etc @ 110/119 hooked up to this system via a switch and the max signal I can get there is around 83%. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
ghia said:
I have the globecast system which includes the .75 meter Elliptical Antenna , receiver and lnb (which I believe is marked as .6) The maximun signal strength I can get for IA5 with a perfectly clear view has never been over 70% on the globecat receiver meter and that is on 11966 H and I believe that is a strong TP. On 12177 I only manage between 45 and 53 % Maybe that TP is not as strong? I bought it to subscribe to Setanta which is on 11898 and the highest i've managed there is between 63 and 67% these readings are at night, in the day it reads about 5 to 7 % less. I used the accutrac 22 pro meter to tweak the signal, before that my readings where at least 10% lower. I also have a 18" x 20" dish with circular lnb's for the music NASA etc @ 110/119 hooked up to this system via a switch and the max signal I can get there is around 83%. Hope this helps.

So pretty much from your experience it is mostly the globecast receiver that is weak.

From what I read, yes

12177 transponder is one my stronger ones (75-77 on my Pansat 1500)
All of my transponders on IA5 are between 32 and 80. 30 is the threshold on my Pansat for a stable picture. This is using a 30” dish. The other day I was moving a larger dish (37x27) and the signals went up to 45-89. So a larger dish will help

Honestly, the larger the dish the better. Nothing sucks worse than watching a channel only to have pixilation and breakups due to low signal.

Weak transponders on IA5?

Is anyone having any issues with signal quality by using a 30-31" dish for getting IA5? I'm considering whether to get 36" or 31" dish for IA5? The lnbf I"m getting will be 0.6dB as well. Anybody with this kind of setup have any problmes with picture quality or rain fades?

A 30" is the minimum dish size for KU satellite. What kind of the picture quality you are talking about. Even in a same satellite, the signal quality will differ at each TPs, thats lots considering and its nothing you can do, all you can is peak the dish at its highest.

You can reduce the rain fade problem, but not completely get it off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.