iCloud discussion thread

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
iCloud is realeasing very soon so I thought I'd create a discussion thread.

I have been using the iCloud backup feature on the iPad for a while; and I am using iTunes Match on a PC, macbook and iPad.

While internet speed obviously comes into play while streaming, I think the itunes match part of iCloud is going to be very nice.

I did the iOS update and it wanted me to convert my MobileME account to an iCloud account. Filled out all the info it asked for and it thanked me and said it was converting my account and then gave me an error message to try converting again later.

My conversion went without a glitch.

What is 'iTunes Match'??

Cut and paste from apple.com

iTunes Match

If you want the benefits of iTunes in the Cloud for music you haven’t purchased from iTunes, iTunes Match is the perfect solution. It’s built right into the iTunes app on your Mac or PC and the Music app on your iOS devices. And it lets you store your entire collection, including music you’ve imported from CDs or purchased somewhere other than iTunes. For just $24.99 a year.2
Here’s how it works: iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to your iCloud library. Since there are more than 20 million songs in the iTunes Store, most of your music is probably already in iCloud. All you have to upload is what iTunes can’t match. Which is much faster than starting from scratch. Once your music is in iCloud, you can stream and store it on any of your devices. Even better, all the music iTunes matches plays back from iCloud at 256-Kbps AAC DRM-free quality — even if your original copy was of lower quality.

This is sweet. My BusyCal is now synced with iCloud; so all the to-do's I have in BusyCal now sync with Reminders on the iPad.

I am updating iPhoto so it will be compatible with it. Not certain what that will do, but I have a feeling my photos are heading to the cloud. Only concern is about space. I have a $40/yr 20GB iCloud account.

The more I play with iCloud, the more excited I get. This is really a game changer. Now if Friday would just occur so I can get my iPhone 4S. :)

Looks like it takes the last 30 days' worth of photos. And all photos are automagically transferred to iPhoto. Again, sweet.

My wife and I both have iPhones and I've always used one computer and one iTunes account for backing up both phones. So now that I've updated both phones to iOS 5, do I need to create her a separate apple ID for her phone and iCloud account? I used my apple id and password when I set it up, but is there a reason I should create her an account and use it?

I did the iOS update and it wanted me to convert my MobileME account to an iCloud account. Filled out all the info it asked for and it thanked me and said it was converting my account and then gave me an error message to try converting again later.

Same here. Have been trying to convert all evening.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Same here.

I still can't convert my mobile me to iCloud. But at least now they are saying they are limiting access to conversion due to high demand. Yesterday, it was just throwing a generic error and stating to try again later.

I think it is still getting slammed with conversions and stuff. My iCloud email is still down. Here's a link to check the status of iCloud :

Apple - Support - iCloud - System Status

It is being reported in a few places that the email and other items are 'intermittent'. I can confirm that for email. A bit ago I tried to get to the email via web access. Got there after a bit, showed my email and then kicked me out! :(

Shades of mac.com!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Sidebar