I'll take "Name that satellite" for $500 please! HELP!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
SCORE!!!

I went over to another neighborhood 5 miles away where I remembered there was a c-band dish on a 20ft pole above their garage. That dish was gone. So, I decided to just drive around a little, and go down some roads I almost never go down. On the SECOND subdivision road, which is a dead-end, I got almost to the end, and had to turn around. AS I DID, I saw what looked like a 7.5ft black dish, 15 feet up on a pole, above a houses back Summer room! I never really expected that. Anyway, I pulled into his driveway to knock on the door, and the (turned out he is 76 years old) man came out of his house to meet me. I told him I noticed his dish, and was wondering if he would want it removed? YEP, I SURE DO! he answered! I told him, "I'm really looking for a 7.5ft dish, but didn't really expect to find one, can I measure it?" YEP. So, I climbed up on the roof, and YEP, it was a pristine (except for a little lichen here and there) 7.5ft Sami with a Venture 24" actuator! I asked him if he needed any money for it, or???? He said: "Well, I'm hoping I could get at least $10.00 for it! I said: "NO PROBLEM, I'll run to the ATM, and come back with the money, my tools and my trailer"!

It took me about 1/2hr to do all that, meanwhile I was going NUTS at the score, LOL! I got back to his place, backed the trailer in, and told him: "You really made my day, I wasn't really expecting to find one, but I'm happy enough that I'm going to give you $20.00!"

Anyway, I had to take it down all by myself, as nobody was around to help. After scoping out several ways I could go, I ended up unbolting the reflector from the mount, and getting that to the roof. I then had to unbolt the Venture actuator, and then the polar mount was light enough for me to lift it off the pole alone. So, now all the parts are on the roof. I was able with the help of the old man to put the reflector over the edge of the roof, and he steadied it to the ground. I then separately carried the polar mount and actuator down the ladder to the ground. I got the actuator and mount in the car, and we lifted the reflector onto the trailer, and I tied it down. It was 6pm by then, and I was BEAT as it's 85 degrees. I told him I'd be back to dig out the pole tomorrow, and he's fine with that.

P.S. NONE of the bolts snapped! There's barely any rust on them, and the reflector mount bolts unscrewed, and I was able to pull them out without using a hammer. Good thing these Sami's mount brackets are so friction tight, as I was able to pull all 3 bolts without the reflector smashing to the ground, and then pulled the reflector off to the roof without me or it falling.

I dug the 15' pole out this morning and got it on the ground surface, but I was unable to get it up and on my trailer because of the 250-300lbs of cement ball on it. I just didn't have anybody able to help, and I didn't quite have enough leverage to do both ends at once. I finally got to the point where I decided I'll have to break off the cement with a sledgehammer, (which I didn't have with me) but it was 90 degrees today, and by that time I was so sweat-soaked and exhausted I had to quit. I'm going back tomorrow with a 4lb hammer, a sledgehammer, and some big chisels.

I just can't pass up that long of a pole for no extra cost, even though I can't possibly use the whole length at my house. Once I break off the majority of the cement, I'm home-free on getting it on the trailer.

I dug the 15' pole out this morning and got it on the ground surface, but I was unable to get it up and on my trailer because of the 250-300lbs of cement ball on it. I just didn't have anybody able to help, and I didn't quite have enough leverage to do both ends at once.
LEVERAGE is the key word here. That 300 lb lump of concrete has a 12 foot lever stuck to it. All you need is a fulcrum. Something simple and sturdy like a firewood round or concrete blocks. Lift the lump in the air and park the trailer under it. Swing it around and tie it down and off you go . ;)

Reactions: raydio
LEVERAGE is the key word here. That 300 lb lump of concrete has a 12 foot lever stuck to it. All you need is a fulcrum. Something simple and sturdy like a firewood round or concrete blocks. Lift the lump in the air and park the trailer under it. Swing it around and tie it down and off you go . ;)

Yep, I tried that using the trailer itself as the fulcrum. I didn't have anything taller and strong enough to get the cement end above the level of the trailer itself. The "ball" of cement is closer to a slab of cement that's 12" or so thick, and about 2 feet wide with about 10" of pole sticking out of the bottom of the cement. If I had something strong enough not to crush, and at least 4' tall, I could have possibly got it into the trailer. Much as my body thinks it can, I'm 59 years old now and not in my 20's anymore. By the time I got it dug out and on the ground surface, I was already beat and soaking wet with sweat.

I hear that for sure. I just swapped out my water heater and it was a tremendous undertaking. In a couple days I'll be singing that tune from the Sgt. Pepper's album. ;)

Reactions: primestar31
Well, I got the cement broken off the pole, took me about 1 hour for the entire job from start to driving away. I first tried a 4lb hammer and chisel to chisel a line across the middle of it. My arm got tired quickly, as it's not easy to hold a chisel while whacking away with that hammer. I then whacked away at it with a sledgehammer, but wasn't making a whole lot of headway. VERY strong mix of cement. I then brought out my Maul, and started whaling away on the chisel line, and finally cracked it from top to bottom. It didn't damage the Maul at all. A few more whacks, and the cement broke off the pole. I was then fairly easily able to lift it onto the trailer, and get it tied down. I filled the rest of the hole, and cleaned up the cement and such, and got out of there. I can't use the whole 15' length, as it has to be in an area where I can't also bracket it to some eves or something. I took it to a metal place, and they cut it down to 11' for me for $5, so I now have $25 in cost for this whole thing!

I have very sandy-loamy soil, and our frost line is 42", so I'm going to sink it 4' or so down, and leave 7' above ground. Layer of gravel in the bottom of the hole, cement paver in the middle, and the pole sitting on that. Then I'll mix up at least 500 or 600lbs of cement, and pour it in the hole. I might/probably will fill the pole with cement also.

It's only a Schedule 40 3.5" pole, so I can't go higher than 7' above ground level and expect it to not move around. If that's an issue anyway, I'll also guy-wire it with ground anchors and turnbuckles.

Anyway, I just took a shower and am resting the rest of the day. One good thing about all this, I lost 5lbs doing all this work the last couple of days, LOL!

P.S. Can you tell that I have the "fever" again? LOL.

Last edited:
I finally got around to testing the Venture 24" actuator with my V-box X, and it seems to work perfectly! Outer fixed sleeve is a bit rusty as usual, but the extendible inner tube was almost completely retracted since the last time the original owner used it, so it's completely clean, and looks good!

I've been working on the hole to put the pole in the ground at my house, but during that process yesterday I seem to have broken a rib! Yep, I heard the "crunch", and had a sharp pain in the left middle lower part of my rib cage that took my breath away for a second.

Yeah, all that work to remove the dish and pole from the first owner, and I break a rib doing practically nothing compared to all that previous work. It now hurts to breath or cough, so I'm going to have to slow down for a few days. I still plan on getting the hole finished, gravel in the bottom, and the pole leveled and ready for cement. However, I will be stretching this all out in little bursts and then rests. I have no clue how I'm going to now be able to open, mix, and shovel in 10-11 80lb bags of Quikrete, but I guess I'll find out. I thought about using Ready-Mix, but that's REALLY costly when you only need about 0.27 cubic yards or so. That's almost nothing compared to what one of their trucks are capable of delivering.

I finally got around to testing the Venture 24" actuator with my V-box X, and it seems to work perfectly! Outer fixed sleeve is a bit rusty as usual, but the extendible inner tube was almost completely retracted since the last time the original owner used it, so it's completely clean, and looks good!

I've been working on the hole to put the pole in the ground at my house, but during that process yesterday I seem to have broken a rib! Yep, I heard the "crunch", and had a sharp pain in the left middle lower part of my rib cage that took my breath away for a second.

Yeah, all that work to remove the dish and pole from the first owner, and I break a rib doing practically nothing compared to all that previous work. It now hurts to breath or cough, so I'm going to have to slow down for a few days. I still plan on getting the hole finished, gravel in the bottom, and the pole leveled and ready for cement. However, I will be stretching this all out in little bursts and then rests. I have no clue how I'm going to now be able to open, mix, and shovel in 10-11 80lb bags of Quikrete, but I guess I'll find out. I thought about using Ready-Mix, but that's REALLY costly when you only need about 0.27 cubic yards or so. That's almost nothing compared to what one of their trucks are capable of delivering.
Sorry to hear that! :( Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Reactions: primestar31
...I have no clue how I'm going to now be able to open, mix, and shovel in 10-11 80lb bags of Quikrete, but I guess I'll find out. I thought about using Ready-Mix, but that's REALLY costly when you only need about 0.27 cubic yards or so. That's almost nothing compared to what one of their trucks are capable of delivering.

Do you have any connections that know anyone that works at (dispatcher is a good one), or drives for any of the local concrete plants? Lots of times, they will have a little mix left on a truck and there is not a good place to wash it out at the jobsite and they will take it back to the plant and wash it out there...or just load the next load on top of it.

I have done that many times and it was usually free if it was close to their path, sometimes just a nominal delivery charge. Just have to be setup and ready to pour on a short notice.

Do you have any connections that know anyone that works at (dispatcher is a good one), or drives for any of the local concrete plants? Lots of times, they will have a little mix left on a truck and there is not a good place to wash it out at the jobsite and they will take it back to the plant and wash it out there...or just load the next load on top of it.

I have done that many times and it was usually free if it was close to their path, sometimes just a nominal delivery charge. Just have to be setup and ready to pour on a short notice.

No, I don't have any connections such as that, but it's a good idea and I could call them and ask if they would do that. It's probably going to be at least 3-4 days before I can get to the point of having the pole all ready, braced and leveled in the hole for the cement. I'm taking it real easy, as I don't want anything else to happen if a rib or two really is completely broken. God forbid I puncture a lung also. They may just be cracked, but either way, it is a dull ache that feels like I was kicked by a horse right there...

Any teenagers in the neighborhood? A few bucks to a couple could probably get cement mixed and poured. Might have to throw in some lemonade though.

Well, I got the pole planted today. Hole is 4ft deep, and about 18"~ across (more or less), with an "oval" cut on the East side, and the bottom belled out like an elephants foot. 1 bag of 50lbs of Quikrete brand gravel in the bottom, and a metal plate on the top center of the gravel. Pole is 3" Schedule 40 (3.5" OD) 11ft long. 2 muffler clamps on the bottom (1 is original from the first owner), AND an 18" piece of rebar through the pipe's drilled hole 2ft from the bottom.

I mixed and packed in 11 bags of 80lb Quikrete regular pole setting mix. After doing the outside of the pole, it took almost 1 more entire 80lb bag to fill the inside of the pole to within 1ft of the top. So, 12 bags total job. Dead level North/South and East/West, checked with a digital level.

Now I'm going to rest a week, and let that rib(s) heal since I way overdid it today, LOL!

Well, I got the pole planted today. Hole is 4ft deep, and about 18"~ across (more or less), with an "oval" cut on the East side, and the bottom belled out like an elephants foot. 1 bag of 50lbs of Quikrete brand gravel in the bottom, and a metal plate on the top center of the gravel. Pole is 3" Schedule 40 (3.5" OD) 11ft long. 2 muffler clamps on the bottom (1 is original from the first owner), AND an 18" piece of rebar through the pipe's drilled hole 2ft from the bottom.

I mixed and packed in 11 bags of 80lb Quikrete regular pole setting mix. After doing the outside of the pole, it took almost 1 more entire 80lb bag to fill the inside of the pole to within 1ft of the top. So, 12 bags total job. Dead level North/South and East/West, checked with a digital level.

Now I'm going to rest a week, and let that rib(s) heal since I way overdid it today, LOL!
Where are the pictures? Isn't this an illustrated story? ;)

Where are the pictures? Isn't this an illustrated story? ;)

It will be, but now that I've quit for the day, my body has completely CRASHED. It's been a busy day, and mixing (in a 20 gallon plastic tub) and shoveling 80lb bags of cement one at a time takes a lot out of you...

Here's one photo from out my living room window, not sure you can see much with the ladder and braces. YEP, it's only 17' in from the main road! That's the nearly new asphalt driveway I jetted a 30' length of pvc pipe under for the coax and wires going to the dish...:

0818181957-00.jpg

Last edited:
When I put up that pole last October, a twenty dollar bill mixed the bags and set the pole. ;) But I know what you mean about the effort you have to put out nowadays to get stuff done. We will wait for pics :)

Anybody got a spare Pansat Dp-4 dual C, dual ku feedhorn they would like to trade for something? I don't need the lnb's with it as I already have some, I just need the feed itself and can't afford $200+ dollars for one. I want to have this SAMI dish as both C and KU, and I'd really prefer to have an orthomode setup.

Thanks!

Here's what I have to trade for the DP-4 feedhorn. I no longer can use these, your choice:

1: (SD180PM,P76) Sadoun 180cm C-Band Dish with Polar Mount. This has a Powermax 18" actuator on it. The whole dish was installed back in August~ 2012, and only up about 1 month before it was replaced by a 10' dish. Nice dish, built very well and works well for a 6 footer, so could be a good choice for you if you have limited space, or want to play with it.

2: Prodelin 6ft composite offset KU dish and fixed mount. This one was originally installed on a 7" pole, BUT, it was installed successfully on a 3" pole by me, and worked really well once leveled and balanced correctly. Killer signal level. VERY heavy dish, and VERY heavy mount!

3: Perfect Ten 10ft mesh sat dish, gray powdercoat. This dish worked extremely well for me at my old house. I just can't use it at the newer house due to the large size and where it has to be mounted so close to the front road.

4: DMS International BSC-Conical scalar that was never used, blue color.

5: WSI International ESX242 Dual C-band LNBF with flat scalar never used.

???

Money is very limited for me until the beginning of next year when I can tap retirement funds again. The roof replacement cost a bit more than I was expecting.

Also, this isn't all I have collected over the years, so you could make requests and maybe I have a spare of what you need for trading?

I really want to try out that Pansat DP-4 feedhorn on this SAMI 7.5' dish...

Status
Please reply by conversation.