Install Advice

enricong

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I live in a Three story town house. My dish was previously installed on my roof but was removed while my roof was replaced. The HOA says it can no longer go on the roof. (Pole is also not acceptable) My house faces South West and the dish cannot go on the front of my house.

If I recall, it is bad to install on vinyl siding.

I checked the angle and I need 36.5deg elevation (62.4deg skew) which looks to be alot more than the angle of my roof.

I have the installer coming in a week. I'd like to be prepared with potential solutions to recommend on the spot in case I run into issues. Also, ideally something that wont cost me extra. I am already on the very fine edge of cancelling and switching to comcast. If this install doesnt work out, I think that will be the last straw for me.

Photos with old dish installed:
IMG_20190615_091944.jpg
IMG_20190615_091931.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a side yard ypu could put it on a fence. Or like what i did i put it on the lower part of the roof near the gutter on the backside of the townhouse. No one could see i have a dish from the front. :)

Plus legally you have had the dish up there for more that a year. That you have the power of iminent domain now. Plus a professional will be doing the work he is insured. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Reactions: Jimbo
Oh another thing purchase the Directv insurance and the work will done for free. Wait a few months and request to discontinue the coverage. Bam

The HOA contracted the roofing to be done. So my dish has already been removed.
I dont have a fence and they wouldnt allow it on there. I don't have enough yard so that my house wouldnt be blocking the signal anyways.

(the back of my house is on the left, the side of my house is on the right)

I'd love to put it on the back, but the vinyl siding goes all the way up so I don't see where it would be able to get installed.
The only place I can see is perhaps on the fascia but I thought I read somewhere that they dont like to do that either. I'm also not sure they could get the dish up high enough.

The HOA contracted the roofing to be done. So my dish has already been removed.
I dont have a fence and they wouldnt allow it on there. I don't have enough yard so that my house wouldnt be blocking the signal anyways.

(the back of my house is on the left, the side of my house is on the right)

I'd love to put it on the back, but the vinyl siding goes all the way up so I don't see where it would be able to get installed.
The only place I can see is perhaps on the fascia but I thought I read somewhere that they don't like to do that either. I'm also not sure they could get the dish up high enough.
They don't want it attached to the roof ?
Or they don't want a dish on the house ?

Big difference there .... there are multiple types of supports available that could mount on the underside of the overhang ...

Also, the house is built with 2x6's framing wise, go into it with the existing mount.

Depends if you actually Want to keep D*, if not, nows a good time to change.

Heres another idea ....
These particular ones are pricey, but there are others out there as well and this way it would be on the ground and unseen.

Satellite Rock Cover

They don't want it attached to the roof. They did not say it could not be attached to the house. They don't want it on the front of the house.
They won't allow a pole in the ground. Someone mentioned a fence but I dont have a fence and I dont believe they allow mounting to a fence if I recall.

From reading the forum, it seems that one should not install on vinyl. I am just looking to see what the best method is in my situation to recommend to the installer. My preference is to put it on the back of the house, but it is all vinyl. On the side, it looks like there is fascia that can be used. Also, it would be ideal to have a solution that does not involve me spending more money.

They don't want it attached to the roof. They did not say it could not be attached to the house. They don't want it on the front of the house.
They won't allow a pole in the ground. Someone mentioned a fence but I dont have a fence and I dont believe they allow mounting to a fence if I recall.

From reading the forum, it seems that one should not install on vinyl. I am just looking to see what the best method is in my situation to recommend to the installer. My preference is to put it on the back of the house, but it is all vinyl. On the side, it looks like there is fascia that can be used. Also, it would be ideal to have a solution that does not involve me spending more money.
Personally, I would MOVE ....
It's YOUR house, not the HOA's.

If you want to get really legally into it, there is paperwork you can take to them to show that they can not prevent you from having a dish.

Reactions: JSheridan and ncted

I'd tell them to take it up with the FCC: Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule

Where you had the dish before was perfectly acceptable, and that is where it should go again IMHO.

Reactions: Jimbo
I do need to review my HOA documents. I was under the impression that I owned my roof. However, the HOA paying to replace all the roofs makes me think otherwise.

Reactions: harshness
I do need to review my HOA documents. I was under the impression that I owned my roof. However, the HOA paying to replace all the roofs makes me think otherwise.

Typically that is covered either by your HOA dues or a special assessment. Either way, the money to replace your roof probably was paid by you at some point.

Making such a statement is not very useful. It is not that easy to just pickup and move for the sole purpose of satellite TV. Even if I decide to take that advice today, it still takes a long time to actually move. What do I for TV in the mean time?

Reactions: ncted
Making such a statement is not very useful. It is not that easy to just pickup and move for the sole purpose of satellite TV. Even if I decide to take that advice today, it still takes a long time to actually move. What do I for TV in the mean time?
If you have internet you can still use your D* service, stream shows to your Tv.

Anywhere on the outside of the building is most likely considered a common area and therefore off limits for a dish. You may have a case to have it on the roof though. Since they allowed it before and it was they that removed it, they should let you put it back in the same place.

Anywhere on the outside of the building is most likely considered a common area and therefore off limits for a dish. You may have a case to have it on the roof though. Since they allowed it before and it was they that removed it, they should let you put it back in the same place.

If it does go back in the same place it would look nicer than it did before by using a stub mount with no support rods.

There are non penetrating mounts that can be used on a flat roof or deck. I assume there are some for a sloped roof too. Probably best to call Solid Signal and see what they recommend.

Though I'd also check into exactly who owns what in your building. If you own the roof, they can't stop you from putting up a dish.

There are non penetrating mounts that can be used on a flat roof or deck. I assume there are some for a sloped roof too. Probably best to call Solid Signal and see what they recommend.

Though I'd also check into exactly who owns what in your building. If you own the roof, they can't stop you from putting up a dish.

While your calling Solid Signal, ask them what they recommend to fix this mess that one of their Techs installed at a local Motel.

YES, Solid Signal installed a dish this way and left the switches hanging like this.

IMG_3375.JPG

Wait a second here. You had the Dish installed first and the HOA said nothing.

Now that they decided to install a new roof, what right does it give them to take down your Dish?

Granted I understand not wanting the dish back on a new roof, but if they don’t want it on the roof thru have to give you other mounting options such as a pole.

Also they likely over paid thousands of dollars to have the roof replaced. Part of replacing the roof is replacing or relocating your satellite dish.

Please don’t tell us your going to let them do this to you and not put up a fight.

If this was a new install, your facing an uphill battle.

But they already allowed the installation. Your grandfathered in!

It either goes back on the roof in the exact same place, or they allow it to be mounted in an alternate area such as on a pole.

There are plenty of other mounting options, but this is not your problem to make right. The HOA took it down, the HOA pays to put it back up.

Again I don’t care what the HOA rules state. You where grandfathered in because nothing was said about the original install

Reactions: c-spand and ncted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)