Installer bringing cables?

Phils

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Paradise, CA
I've been a Dish customer for over 10 years and they are installing a 622 Friday.

Is the install complete with necessary wires/cables or do I need to supply them?

I "expected" them to be included but as a precaution asked DW to stop by BestBuy and get RGB and stereo cables. Of course, a wife just asking for cables is "open season" to BB people and she came home with two Monster brand pkgs at $160. The best Monster makes I am sure.

I assumed I'd be returning them because the installer would be hooking it up with what he brings. But if I'm supposed to be the one providing the RGB cables, should I be going back (before the packages are opened) to BB and getting a lower grade?

Or.... is this a case where I'd want to trash any cables he brings and use these anyway?

Or..... ?????

[and what a great forum!! Wish I'd discovered it long ago.]

Phil

The 622 should come with the component cables... Return those 160 dollar boys to BB. Go tyo wally world and get the 15 phillips rgb cables. DVI Componnet and HDMI cables can be had online or at fleabay for 5-10 bucks plus like around 4-8 shipping....

Phils said:
I've been a Dish customer for over 10 years and they are installing a 622 Friday.

Is the install complete with necessary wires/cables or do I need to supply them?

I "expected" them to be included but as a precaution asked DW to stop by BestBuy and get RGB and stereo cables. Of course, a wife just asking for cables is "open season" to BB people and she came home with two Monster brand pkgs at $160. The best Monster makes I am sure.

I assumed I'd be returning them because the installer would be hooking it up with what he brings. But if I'm supposed to be the one providing the RGB cables, should I be going back (before the packages are opened) to BB and getting a lower grade?

Or.... is this a case where I'd want to trash any cables he brings and use these anyway?

Or..... ?????

[and what a great forum!! Wish I'd discovered it long ago.]

Phil

Monster cables are overpriced junk, try http://monoprice.com or http://bettercables.com/, it's a known scam, take the Monsters back.

Hope it helps.

The only cables provided with the 622 are standard video and svideo cables. That being said, some installers do have HDMI, component, DVI, or possibly even RGB and the adaptors necessary, usually at an additional charge.

You paid good money for and HDTV, higher quality cables really do improve the video signal, but monster is overpriced for what it is.
I have found that acoustic research makes cables that are just as good for 1/3 the price.

The installer will provide and install all necessary RG-6 coax between the antenna(s) and the 622.

The 622 box that the installer will be bringing will include an assortment of audio/video cables (composite and S-video), telephone extension cable, RF coax patch cables. I don't believe, however, that it comes with component cables. It definitely doesn't come with a digital audio (optical) cable or HDMI cable.

My 622 came with componant, composite, and coax. Get HMDI for $10 from monoprice.com including delivery.

That's really disappointing to hear that Dish can't even supply a set of component cables with an HD receiver.... As others have noted, return the overpriced Monster Cable pieces and get some $10-20 ones from Walmart. In my experience, as long as you don't unplug, plug in, unplug, plug in, and excessively handle cables, even low-cost ones can last a long time.

thats silly, does Dish really lose that much by including at least the RGB cables... the 811 included RGB and DVI if i remember right. and 942 came with the RGB, DVI, and a DVI to HDMI convertor.... the good ole' days i guess

Thanks, all!

I'll return those "MONSTER-PRICED" cables and have another set from WalMart or Radio Shack in my closet in case my query to the installer of "... you mean the cables necessary to actually watch Hi-Def AREN'T INCLUDED?!?!" doesn't work. Once installed the cables will only be disconnected and reconnected at comoponent replacement (which, after THIS purchase isn't gonna happen for another decade if DW has her way).

I've got a 3 yr old Toshiba 42H81 that doesn't have the HDMI connection (I assume this is the "HDTV digital output" plug on the back of the 622). I have the digital optical cable for sound already between my old Dish receiver and my stereo system (which I'll still use) but the TV doesn't have a digital optical connection either.

From the posts I've seen, not using HDMI (what does that mean, anyway??) will eliminate some potential problems. Is a picture using HDMI vs RGB noticebly better?

Phil

When I placed my order for DISH HD (with the ViP622), I asked the rep on the phone if an HDMI cable was provided with the installation, and she said yes. When the installers arrived, I asked them to install with the HDMI and they did. So, for all I knew, that was/is a standard procedure.
So far it works fine (16 days).
John
Sugar Land, TX

Mine did not come with either component or hdmi. I had anticipated this and had a hdmi samsung cable I got the week before on ebay for 20 bucks. Works great and the sound is the BIG IMPROVEMENT with hdmi cables over composite.

dodge said:
My buddys 211 came with an HDMI cable. My 811 came with component so did my 211...

You sure it wasnt put in the 211 box by the dealer ?? the 811's were shipped with component cables, as did the very early 211's, but they stopped that.

Mine came with components. Its sitting in the box as I had already pulled some monsters through the wall that I bought cheap from Buy.com.

The receivers we get directly from DNS don't have either RGB or HDMI cables. Our warehouse people will open up every 622/411/211 package and add them to the kit. This is what I suspect is happening for the people who *did* receive cables.

Only the early, early 211's came with component cables. Then all of a sudden DISH Network announced that they'd stop shipping component cables in their HD receivers: i.e. 211/411 and 622 receivers.

These receivers only come with S-Video and COMPOSITE (AKA RCA) cables. DISH Network figured that customers would buy their own and end up chucking DISH Network's componet cables. But they do sell them for cheap to retailers, so who ends up footing the bill? The retailers, of course, when customers complain of missing component cables.

Ok, got another set of RGB and Stereo cables. Also Monster brand but a lower quality of their line. Got 'em at Radio Shack. They were the only cables the right length in our whole town. Only $80 total this time and DW will return the $160 set to BestBuy next time she is in that town.

I'll still hope the installer provides cables but will have these at the ready if not, or if his are priced way out-of-line.

Now I'm wondering if my appt will be as scheduled. A few posts have mentioned that there's a shortage of the 1000+ dishes (I think that's the one I should be getting?). Maybe northern CA has the dishes in stock (I hope, as I've scheduled a day off of work so as to be home at the appointed time).

Because of the thread mentioning "....I made an appt, but days later they show no such appointment...." I called Dish and the recording verified my Friday time. I checked because (in addition to that thread) I had a broken receiver a year ago and spent an hour on the phone "troubleshooting" and getting a replacement ordered. A week later I called to inquire and was told no order had ever been made, yada, yada. So it was another hour of troubleshooting and then I was sent a replacement.

I won't rant on Dish's customer service as I've had good and bad over the last 10 years, pretty much how it is with any company these days.

Phil

Can someone confirm this?

Leasing a 2nd 622...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts