ios 9 released

Its definitely more proactive. I get in my car and start it, and get a notification from the Maps app of the traffic conditions for my drive to work!!

Even when you aren't in the maps app? I'm driving out of town later today for the weekend so I'll be sure to check out the new maps features.

Even when you aren't in the maps app? I'm driving out of town later today for the weekend so I'll be sure to check out the new maps features.
Correct. Not sure how it knows. It may be because I have a Python Remote Start/Alarm System on my car. I can see the GPS location of my car via the Remote Start App. Maybe when the phone detects I'm close to my car, it spits out the notification. When i leave work I'm going to get close to my car without starting it and see what happens.

Correct. Not sure how it knows. It may be because I have a Python Remote Start/Alarm System on my car. I can see the GPS location of my car via the Remote Start App. Maybe when the phone detects I'm close to my car, it spits out the notification. When i leave work I'm going to get close to my car without starting it and see what happens.

But how does it know you are going to work?

I was getting oil changed & it was telling me how long it took to get home.

It just seems weird to me that it would give you traffic reports and tell you how long it will take to get to a destination when you aren't telling it what your destination is. Outside of it tracking our daily routines I'm not sure how it could know where we want to go. If it is tracking our daily routines I'm not sure I like that.

I'm sure that's how it figures out where you may want to go. If you go to settings/privacy/location services/scroll down to system services/frequent locations. I just went out and tested the notification alert. It only pops up after i start my car, and it figures I want to go home because I have my home address set up in my contact, and in the morning it figures I'm going to work. What's also weird, I swiped down to show the notifications page, started my car, and the notification showed up. OK, normal, but as soon as I shut my car off the notification went away.

I have the iPhone 6 Plus.

Should I do the update—or wait a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not the remote start system that triggers it. Drove the wife's van and it popped the notification as well. Bluetooth maybe??????

If you go into Settings, Privacy, Location Services, there is a whole section on what your iPhone knows about where you've been and when you've been there. It can tie that GPS information to your contacts so it knows when you're home, when you leave for work, etc. and makes predictions based on that data. Google Now has been doing this for years with their apps and mobile OS. We're getting parity.

Even in iOS 8 my lock screen would say things like "it would take you 29 minutes to drive to work" when I first looked at my phone in the morning.

I finally updated to 9 yesterday and it was one of the less painful major upgrades. I was able to add my Discover card into ?Pay (ApplePay for you PC and Android users) so I can try to find a place where it works. I tried our Kroger today and I guess they removed the NFS terminals.

Anyway, off to the Apple Store to pick up some more Lightning cables for my son. Why is it other people destroy Apple's phone cables and I can have them for two-three years and not screw them up? I've never had a 30-pin cable go bad on me, and my wife, son, and coworkers go through them like they're consumables with a limited shelf life.

If you go into Settings, Privacy, Location Services, there is a whole section on what your iPhone knows about where you've been and when you've been there. It can tie that GPS information to your contacts so it knows when you're home, when you leave for work, etc. and makes predictions based on that data. Google Now has been doing this for years with their apps and mobile OS. We're getting parity.

Even in iOS 8 my lock screen would say things like "it would take you 29 minutes to drive to work" when I first looked at my phone in the morning.

I finally updated to 9 yesterday and it was one of the less painful major upgrades. I was able to add my Discover card into ?Pay (ApplePay for you PC and Android users) so I can try to find a place where it works. I tried our Kroger today and I guess they removed the NFS terminals.

Anyway, off to the Apple Store to pick up some more Lightning cables for my son. Why is it other people destroy Apple's phone cables and I can have them for two-three years and not screw them up? I've never had a 30-pin cable go bad on me, and my wife, son, and coworkers go through them like they're consumables with a limited shelf life.

I have managed to destroy two lightning cables that I had in the car as a charger, and connector for my car radio. No idea why, but they get kinked, and then the section right next to the actual lightning connector comes undone. My ones in the house last forever, but somehow the car resulted in killing multiple cables.