iOS7 Discussion Thread

I'm not happy with the battery usage so far. I'm down to 36% with moderate use on my iPhone 5. Usually I would be in the 60% range on the weekend, so I hope this isn't the new norm.

Did you do the hard reset?
Not like I haven't been through a number of iOS updates :D. I've power-cycled a couple of times since upgrading.

Or are you talking about the power button & home button pressed together until the phone cuts out?

Not like I haven't been through a number of iOS updates :D. I've power-cycled a couple of times since upgrading. Or are you talking about the power button & home button pressed together until the phone cuts out?

Yes try holding power and home button. I am having no battery issues at all on iphone 5 or ipad.

Since the hard reset and a full charge, my iPad is back to normal battery behavior. iPhone has been fine since the weird couple of days I had in he end of August.

Yes try holding power and home button. I am having no battery issues at all on iphone 5 or ipad.
Okay, I hadn't done that yet, but I did before I went to bed last night. We'll see what happens today.

I also had turned off the parallax effect since it didn't strike me as necessary and worth the extra CPU cycles.

My son also disabled background processing in Apps, but I usually kill anything I'm not using so I don't know how much that would improve things.

In other news, I was in the mall for an eye appointment so I went and hung out in the Apple store afterward. I played around with the iPhone 5s and tried the fingerprint sensor. I tried to screw up the training so it wouldn't be too good, then after the demo app reported it was satisfied with the fingerprint, I tried the unlock procedure with different angles and parts of my trained finger as well as other fingers and my thumb. The twenty or so tries were all perfect: with the trained finger it unlocked and rejected other fingers/thumbs.

I also played with the 5c and it is a smooth piece of plastic that feels good in the hand. It reminded me of the iPhone 4 in that it is slippery smooth (don't set it on papers stacked on a desk) but it warms quickly so you know it's not glass, metal, or ceramic. The only seam is the place where the case meets the screen and is a little more raised than in the 5 or 5s. It might have been the dilation drops and the lighting, but the pink/red color hurt my eyes. The colors were picked to stand out, probably in recognition of the Lumia phones from Nokia.

I wanted to look at the leather case for the 5s/5 but there was no loose cases, just the ones mounted on display that you could see the color and feel the outside, but not examine the inside. The same was true of the 5c cases, which definitely remove the slippery aspect of the iPhone 5c.

The store was busy with a line of maybe a dozen waiting to pick up their iPhone 5s/5c, but the display phones were easy to get at. Getting back to the 5s, the gold phone isn't too over-the-top (thinking of the guy from the DirecTV commercial) but compliments the white glass. I can see why the gold iPhone is listed as October availability. The "Space Gray" is lighter than the Slate color I have which is reminds me of the stainless steel from the iPhone 4/4s, but slightly darker.

Of course, as a Purdue Boilermaker, I want a gold phone with the black glass. I wonder if Apple would consider it? According to iFixit, the screens are identical between the 5, 5c, and 5s, so you could buy a gold 5s is the capacity you want, then take the glass from a 16 GB space gray 5s (or an old 5) and replace the panels if you wanted the only iPhone Boilermaker Special (and money was no object!)

Is there any way to shuffle different genera like you can pandora in the iTune Radio app?

It's almost 7pm and I'm at 76%, so that's promising. Tomorrow will be the better test of my normal usage.

Thanks for the info Fox!
Glad to be of assistance. I wasn't at 100% due to the eye drops, but I'll be back this week to pick up my glasses and plan on making another stop at the Apple store.

The recently updated Satguys app doesn't work for me. It is just a page with the logo and my username. Anyone else with this problem or a fix?

Edit: fixed problem by deleting and re-installing app.

Last edited:
The recently updated Satguys app doesn't work for me. It is just a page with the logo and my username. Anyone else with this problem or a fix?

Edit: fixed problem by deleting and re-installing app.
My wife had to do that on her iPad with the Overdrive app for our public library. Every time she would open a book she had checked out, the app would exit back to the home screen.

1 thing I have found & do not like is that I cannot resume playing a podcast from the lock screen. I have to unlock the phone to resume playing, unless there's a setting I could not find.

Edit: it seems to be working now. I guess it depends on the podcast.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice the clock font on the standby screen is really hard to read on some backgrounds? A guy at work says the icons look childish because of all the colors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)