IP Addresses

Inside

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
Does Dish check location from IP address when receivers connect by Internet?

Could

Does Dish check location from IP address when receivers connect by Internet?

They could but so far it doesn't seem to make any difference to them. The still don't seem to be able to do anything other than have the system report home. The other thing is it allows the unit to download video.

Why do you care? MOVER possibly? They don't care about that or the ip ,unless you are trying to put receivers in different houses then they would notice the ip address isn't the same.

If they did it wouldn't matter much.

We sometimes connect with Hughesnet which the IP range is in Virgina. But most often we use the park Wi-Fi where we are staying. So our IP address changes as often a daily.

If they did

If they did it wouldn't matter much.

We sometimes connect with Hughesnet which the IP range is in Virgina. But most often we use the park Wi-Fi where we are staying. So our IP address changes as often a daily.

If they did chk they would see you are in the same general area.

Why do you care? MOVER possibly? They don't care about that or the ip ,unless you are trying to put receivers in different houses then they would notice the ip address isn't the same.

or he's north or south of the border ;)
(which would technically be a "mover" since the address would have to be in the states)

Like Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Montana, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma>?

That kind of general area?

IP addresses change and really only give your general area.

IP addresses can be tracked right down to the computer, if someone wants to take the time and effort to do it. I'm sure if the IP associated with my internet service was given to Verizon they could track it down to my house. It doesn't make a difference if you have static or dynamic IP service either. Question would be would Dish really care enough or want to spend the bucks to do it....

Ross

IP addresses can be tracked right down to the computer, if someone wants to take the time and effort to do it. I'm sure if the IP associated with my internet service was given to Verizon they could track it down to my house. It doesn't make a difference if you have static or dynamic IP service either. Question would be would Dish really care enough or want to spend the bucks to do it....

Ross

Yes, but to do that, they need the cooperation of the ISP. Most of which aren't willing to do that kind of thing.

What about if your main connection were cable, but in the HT room it were DSL and you had a total of 4 receivers (three connected to the cable and one connected to the DSL). Do you think they'd notice or care that there are two different IP addresses and providers?

I have a reciever in a room with a dedicated phone line separate from the main phone and was able to get dish to add that number to the account so they wouldn't react to seeing two different numbers.

Hard to say but each of my receivers has a different IP so I may find out if they care.

Given that all receivers must be located in one and only one location, it could certainly represent a red flag to see them with different IP addresses.

Note that this kind of question can go well beyond the class of "mover" and right into the class of theft of service through account stacking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)