Isiah Thomas freak show rolls on

JUST because he came for visit??!! IF he signed him, I can see your side of your opinion....but just for a visit by one of the top 15 recruits in the country....is a bit knee jerk, don't ya think?

OK so if Isiah brings a guy like Stephenson in for a recruiting visit, after so many schools turned their back on him, you're OK with that? You're OK with this being one the first things Isiah does in his very first recruiting season at the school? Wow.

What if this school signs Stephenson. Will you be ok with that?

Sandra

You don't see kids like this going to North Carolina or Duke very often. I do promise if he winds up at my school I'll be extremely disappointed, and say so here.

IF the 'rumor' does turn out to be true, Stephenson was in fact on the school's campus, will you agree it's Isiah's freak show in action, or make an excuse?

Sandra

IF Isiah signs him and he has a college career with all kinds of trouble....YES, I WILL agree you 1000% that it was a freak show.

Having him show up means nothing unless he signs at the school and is nothing but a headache.

While you two are carrying on with your little spat, you're missing out on one helluva U.S. Open Final Round!!!

Actually, this has been the most civil "spat" we have ever had. I have....*gulp* enjoyed the exchange of opinions here between Ms. Sandra and I.

.... I cannot believe I just said that.....:eek:

Besides, I am working and have no access to a TV.

Actually, this has been the most civil "spat" we have ever had. I have....*gulp* enjoyed the exchange of opinions here between Ms. Sandra and I.

.... I cannot believe I just said that.....:eek:

Besides, I am working and have no access to a TV.

ESPN360 or NBC Sports.com.

Both are broadcasting a live feed of the game. How do you think I'm watching? :)

IF Isiah signs him and he has a college career with all kinds of trouble....YES, I WILL agree you 1000% that it was a freak show.

Having him show up means nothing unless he signs at the school and is nothing but a headache.

I suppose that's where we differ. I would see Isiah bringing in a Lance Stephenson in his first recruiting class as a very bad sign of things to come for the school. You would think after the carnage he left behind with the Knicks and the CBA he would fly straight and narrow at least at first. Apparently not.

You'd think the AD would step in here...

As I said, there is a good chance in 3-4 years this school will long for the days when it was anonymous.

Sandra

You don't see kids like this going to North Carolina or Duke very often. I do promise if he winds up at my school I'll be extremely disappointed, and say so here.
It's not just dook and Carolina that have no interest in Stephenson. No one else does either. When was the last time that a top 15 HS player couldn't land a scholarship anywhere? Never. That says all you need to know. Yes this story so far is based on rumors, but the fact that Isiah seems willing to venture where others like Calipari or Tim Floyd wouldn't is pretty damning.

It's not just dook and Carolina that have no interest in Stephenson. No one else does either. When was the last time that a top 15 HS player couldn't land a scholarship anywhere? Never. That says all you need to know. Yes this story so far is based on rumors, but the fact that Isiah seems willing to venture where others like Calipari or Tim Floyd wouldn't is pretty damning.
But, in a twisted sort of way, can you blame Isiah?? The only way he can get a top talent to that school is if he's flawed in some way, which Stephenson obviously is. Maybe they deserve each other.

If Isiah is willing to take a chance on the kid, someone who none of the top programs in the country wants, what's the problem??

But, in a twisted sort of way, can you blame Isiah?? The only way he can get a top talent to that school is if he's flawed in some way, which Stephenson obviously is. Maybe they deserve each other.

If Isiah is willing to take a chance on the kid, someone who none of the top programs in the country wants, what's the problem??

The problem is Isiah ran the Knicks in a twisted sort of way and they turned into an NBA joke. And had legal issues because of Isiah himself. He also bought the CBA and drove it to bankruptcy.

Would this poor school rather be anonymous, or a joke with legal issues?

Sandra

Last edited:
Would this poor school rather be anonymous, or a joke with legal issues?
Apparently, the latter. If they wanted to be anonymous they wouldn't have hired Thomas in the first place. Again, if this kid was a blue-chipper with impeccable credentials and he chose FIU over top national programs, I could understand the hostility.

Isiah is apparently willing to take the risk on a risky impact player to jump start his program. I'm not an FIU alum, so I can easily say that I think these two deserve each other and it would be interesting to follow what happens.

Apparently, the latter. If they wanted to be anonymous they wouldn't have hired Thomas in the first place. Again, if this kid was a blue-chipper with impeccable credentials and he chose FIU over top national programs, I could understand the hostility.

Isiah is apparently willing to take the risk on a risky impact player to jump start his program. I'm not an FIU alum, so I can easily say that I think these two deserve each other and it would be interesting to follow what happens.

Whether Stephenson winds up at this school or not, it's a sign Isiah will not change his spots. Just like with the Knicks, there were so many Isiah decisions that on the surface could be defended at the time (and some that could not be defended).

And the next thing you know everyone is laughing at your team.

Sandra

Excellent points!

Look, if I am not mistaken, when Allen Iverson came onto the Georgetown campus, he TOO had baggage....and if I am not mistaken, he had no troubles at GU nor with John Thompson.

So we should stop ASSUMING this kid is gonna be the next Ted Bundy.

This kid is being charged with a Class B misdemeanor sexual assault charge(for groping a 17 year old girl). Though I have not heard HER SIDE of the story, this COULD BE a case of he said/she said.....

From what I understand the problem with Stephenson is not that he is a thug, which he may be, but it's that he's got a posse that has been pimping him out like OJ Mayo's crew did. What schools are afraid of is that this kid will be declared ineligible by the NCAA and whoever signs him winds up on probation. Apparantly that's not something that keeps Isiah up at night. Instead he looks at this kid as his next Eddy Curry.

From what I understand the problem with Stephenson is not that he is a thug, which he may be, but it's that he's got a posse that has been pimping him out like OJ Mayo's crew did. What schools are afraid of is that this kid will be declared ineligible by the NCAA and whoever signs him winds up on probation. Apparantly that's not something that keeps Isiah up at night. Instead he looks at this kid as his next Eddy Curry.

But again, this is an assumption that Isiah IS recruiting him. You can't even find a newspaper confirming he was even here.....just multiple blogs and sites quoting the same source.

Look, living close to FIU, having a dormant/non-existing basketball program...IF that kid was here....SOMEONE(being the local media) would have been ALL over the fact that a recruit in the TOP 10 in country would be coming to FIU. They would have that story WAY BEFORE anyone else.

It's difficult to believe what a terrible evaluator of talent Isiah is. The one thing Isiah does have going for him, though, is the NCAA does not have a salary cap...:D

Sandra

It's difficult to believe what a terrible evaluator of talent Isiah is. The one thing Isiah does have going for him, though, is the NCAA does not have a salary cap...:D
Yes they do. It's $0. That's why Tim Floyd is out at USC for a reported $1000 payment to a handler.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts