Isiah Thomas freak show rolls on

In college, you are NOT restrained by salary cap and contracts other than "do yo wanna play for my school or not". And guess what, that was is THIRD major signing at FIU. So far, his evaluation of talent is not too bad:

Hoops on Campus - NY Daily News
In college you're restrained by other things, like don't pay the players, don't fix transcrpits, etc. Who knows what Isiah is really doing down there. He may have an eye for talent the same way Tim Floyd did at USC or Kelvin Sampson did Oklahoma and Indiana. I'm not very impressed with who signed who. What is known about Isiah is that he is a very destructive personality and that places he's been are usually far worse off after he leaves than before he arrived (CBA, Pacers, Knicks). You can stick up for him all you want, but I have my doubts about why any top rated HS player would sign with FIU.

And no it's not a UNC thing either. It's just that good HS players can go anywhere so why would they reject all the major programs for a scumbag like Isiah at a mid major school? College recruiting is often a dirty business and usually when something like this happens, that doesn't feel right, it's usually because it isn't. Isiah may just be counting on the NCAA not being able to catch him. We'll see. But this is Isiah Thomas we're talking about. He's too stupid to wear a mask if he were robbing a bank.

In college you're restrained by other things, like don't pay the players, don't fix transcrpits, etc. Who knows what Isiah is really doing down there. He may have an eye for talent the same way Tim Floyd did at USC or Kelvin Sampson did Oklahoma and Indiana. I'm not very impressed with who signed who. What is known about Isiah is that he is a very destructive personality and that places he's been are usually far worse off after he leaves than before he arrived (CBA, Pacers, Knicks). You can stick up for him all you want, but I have my doubts about why any top rated HS player would sign with FIU.

It does make you wonder. Hopefully it's because of Isiah's wonderful smile, and the fact the he hasn't self-destructed or bankrupt this school just yet. Kids see Isiah Thomas and think NBA, which is what he's probably selling. And he hasn't even had to hold a practice yet. :rolleyes:

Hopefully it's not for a worse reason.

Sandra

I'm not very impressed with who signed who....but I have my doubts about why any top rated HS player would sign with FIU..

GOD knows maybe the school itself may be worth it...or what the kid may want to go to school for....or the fact that the recruit MIGHT start immediately, as opposed possibly waiting a couple of years. Maybe the kids that GO to mid major schools want to be a big fish in a small pond instead of the other way around.

Because GOD knows NO mid major player that more than likely rejected a major university ever played in the NBA.... :rolleyes:

Terry Porter
Maurice Cheeks
Dennis Rodman
Earl Monroe
Scottie Pippen
Elgin Baylor
Steve Nash
Wally Szczerbiak
Derek Fisher

....and the list goes on and on....

Truth be told, you know no more than I do about what he may be offering....so right now, you are doing nothing but assuming.

...by the way, how's that search for my "great coach" comment coming along?

GOD knows maybe the school itself may be worth it...or what the kid may want to go to school for....or the fact that the recruit MIGHT start immediately, as opposed possibly waiting a couple of years. Maybe the kids that GO to mid major schools want to be a big fish in a small pond instead of the other way around.

Because GOD knows NO mid major player that more than likely rejected a major university ever played in the NBA.... :rolleyes:

Terry Porter
Maurice Cheeks
Dennis Rodman
Earl Monroe
Scottie Pippen
Elgin Baylor
Steve Nash
Wally Szczerbiak
Derek Fisher

....and the list goes on and on....

Truth be told, you know no more than I do about what he may be offering....so right now, you are doing nothing but assuming.

...by the way, how's that search for my "great coach" comment coming along?
FIU has nothing to offer from a basketball standpoint. It may be a fine school to get a degree from, but basketball wise it's nothing. You've got no history of success, tiny gym to play in, no fans, mid major conference, no TV contract. HS kids are usually thrilled to play at places like that. Being on ESPN once a week is overrated. So is the Final Four. And who in their right mind wants to play in packed arenas with thousands of kids with painted faces going crazy for ever 3 point shot you hit?

Yes lots of good NBA players have come from mid major schools, but they didn't go to those places by choice. It was because they couldn't get opportunities at big schools. Again I ask why would any top rated HS player sign at FIU when they could go anywhere else? If Isiah were so bright, big stretch, to find kids that no one else was interested in and mold them into good players that would be one thing. That's not what this looks like.

FIU has nothing to offer from a basketball standpoint. It may be a fine school to get a degree from, but basketball wise it's nothing. You've got no history of success, tiny gym to play in, no fans, mid major conference, no TV contract. HS kids are usually thrilled to play at places like that. Being on ESPN once a week is overrated. So is the Final Four. And who in their right mind wants to play in packed arenas with thousands of kids with painted faces going crazy for ever 3 point shot you hit?

Yes lots of good NBA players have come from mid major schools, but they didn't go to those places by choice. It was because they couldn't get opportunities at big schools. Again I ask why would any top rated HS player sign at FIU when they could go anywhere else? If Isiah were so bright, big stretch, to find kids that no one else was interested in and mold them into good players that would be one thing. That's not what this looks like.

What could be better for the overlooked and unanticipated Golden Panthers of Florida International than to bring in an NBA Hall-of-Famer and former NBA head coach to the sunny beaches of Miami? It’s not like Thomas could screw up FIU’s public image. What public image? Truth is FIU had nothing to lose by hiring Thomas, and everything to gain. And you do not think they may not get a kid might not get a chance to be on ESPN, or be in the Final Four just because they reject a major university and play in a mid major? Really? Seriously? Mid Major, because of what they have done in the last few years in the NCAA tournament ARE playing on ESPN almost as frequently as some of the major universities.

What could be better for the overlooked and unanticipated Golden Panthers of Florida International than to bring in an NBA Hall-of-Famer and former NBA head coach to the sunny beaches of Miami? It’s not like Thomas could screw up FIU’s public image. What public image? Truth is FIU had nothing to lose by hiring Thomas, and everything to gain. And you do not think they may not get a kid might not get a chance to be on ESPN, or be in the Final Four just because they reject a major university and play in a mid major? Really? Seriously? Mid Major, because of what they have done in the last few years in the NCAA tournament ARE playing on ESPN almost as frequently as some of the major universities.
If a kid wanted to play in Miami so bad why not just go to the U? They're in the ACC. They play against some of the best teams in the country, and they were in the NCAA Tournament a couple of years ago. And I disagree that FIU has nothing to lose. Clearly that's what they're thinking, but if Isiah does what he does best, which is destroy things, and then the NCAA comes along and puts them on probation they will be sorry they ever heard the name Isiah Thomas. And trying to recover from stuff like that is not easy. Ask Michigan or St. John's or Georgia. And those are big programs.

Looks like it'll be a few more pages before we determine this.... :)
Ha, I gave up a while ago. For those old enough to remember, the back-and-forths here remind me of this famous SNL recurring skit:

[ame="http://www.hulu.com/watch/2306/saturday-night-live-point-counterpoint-lee-marvin-and-michelle-triola"]Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Point Counterpoint: Lee Marvin & Michelle Triola@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.hulu.com/embed/OWurlmoy0Ys6p3Hb_Bm6vQ@@AMEPARAM@@OWurlmoy0Ys6p3Hb_Bm6vQ[/ame]

FYI: James J. Kilpatrick claims he has never seen the Akyroyd imitation of him. He was offered a part in an Airplane sequel in which he would have played a caricature of himself, but declined. Dumb career move, if you ask me. I'm sure that when he was giving speeches to college audiences in the 1980s and early 1990s, most of the audience had never seen him live on Point-Counterpoint and only knew of him through the Saturday Night Live skits, just as most of us in the 1960s had never seen William F. Buckley but we enjoyed the David Frye impersonations of him on The Ed Sullivan Show.

If a kid wanted to play in Miami so bad why not just go to the U? They're in the ACC. They play against some of the best teams in the country, and they were in the NCAA Tournament a couple of years ago. And I disagree that FIU has nothing to lose. Clearly that's what they're thinking, but if Isiah does what he does best, which is destroy things, and then the NCAA comes along and puts them on probation they will be sorry they ever heard the name Isiah Thomas. And trying to recover from stuff like that is not easy. Ask Michigan or St. John's or Georgia. And those are big programs.

Your AGAIN assuming he was destined to just and destroy....ON PURPOSE mind you, because that is what you are assuming. You do not think he is looking at this as a chance to possibly redeem himself in the eyes of the basketball world? ALSO, ANOTHER assumption on YOUR part is that FIU will more or less let him have the SAME free reign he had with the Knicks. I am sure HE will be heavily watched by BOTH the NCAA AND the university. But then again, I am sure you knew that....

Your AGAIN assuming he was destined to just and destroy....ON PURPOSE mind you, because that is what you are assuming. You do not think he is looking at this as a chance to possibly redeem himself in the eyes of the basketball world? ALSO, ANOTHER assumption on YOUR part is that FIU will more or less let him have the SAME free reign he had with the Knicks. I am sure HE will be heavily watched by BOTH the NCAA AND the university. But then again, I am sure you knew that....
FIU is one step above coaching an 8th grade girls team. I'm sure they told an NBA Hall of Famer they were interviewing that the job was his just so long as he cleared every decision he made by the Board of Regents. More likely it was more like "Seriously? You'd take the job? When can you start?" "You'd like some petty cash for recruiting trips too? Done." Isiah wouldn't beg and grovel for job like the one at FIU. If he were trying to get another shot in the NBA and had to meet with David Stern first, maybe, but not for FIU.

FIU is one step above coaching an 8th grade girls team. I'm sure they told an NBA Hall of Famer they were interviewing that the job was his just so long as he cleared every decision he made by the Board of Regents. More likely it was more like "Seriously? You'd take the job? When can you start?" "You'd like some petty cash for recruiting trips too? Done." Isiah wouldn't beg and grovel for job like the one at FIU. If he were trying to get another shot in the NBA and had to meet with David Stern first, maybe, but not for FIU.

LMAO!! Sooner or later...the snobbish Tar Heel attitude was bound to come out. And IF he wanted to get back in the NBA, he had to start somewhere to try and redeem his name...and why not FIU. But I see you WERE at the interview process and therefore know ALL the ins and outs of the Thomas interview.

And the soap opera begins. North Carolina...how delicious is this irony! Too bad anders is on vacation....

Florida International will pull out of the Coaches vs. Cancer Tournament unless tournament organizers allow FIU to open with Ohio State instead of North Carolina, as the Golden Panthers had expected.

FIU officials were equal parts incensed and stunned when they received an e-mailed press release of the Tar Heels' schedule, listing Florida International as the season opener. Athletic director Pete Garcia said the school had been approached by the Gazelle Group, the tourney organizers, about switching its opener from the Buckeyes to the defending national champions but refused.

"We knew nothing about this until the press release from North Carolina today," Garcia said. "We told them last week we would not change the game and had never agreed to this."

Gazelle Group president Rick Giles said that he has a contract, signed by Garcia, which stipulates that FIU would play either Ohio State or North Carolina, leaving the choice at the discretion of the Gazelle Group. He said that is the way his company has written contracts for 15 years and fully expects the school to honor its agreement.

"I would be stunned if Isiah Thomas' first act as a head coach was to break a contract," Giles said, although Thomas pointed out that the contract, signed in November 2008, was agreed upon before he arrived at FIU.

Florida International contends that though the original contract offered an either/or option, the school had agreed to open its season with Ohio State and had gone so far as to publicize that information. In an August AP report, new head coach Thomas is quoted about the opener with the Buckeyes.

"Big Ten country," he said. "If at some point and time you're going to be able to compete with the big boys, you might as well jump right into the fire and get started."

Thomas said he was completely caught off-guard by the switch.

"I had no idea," he said. "No one contacted me, our athletic director, no one. Maybe in 2010, 2011 we can play North Carolina, but not this year."

Steve Kirschner, North Carolina's associate athletic director for athletic communications, said: "We will play whoever they tell us to play.''

Kirschner said UNC contacted the Gazelle Group because there had been some discussion about the Tar Heels' opening opponent and questioned whether the schedule should read, "TBD.'' But the Gazelle Group told them to go ahead and release the opener as Florida International.

The tournament format calls for four preselected hosts -- Ohio State, North Carolina, California and Syracuse -- automatically advancing to the semifinals at Madison Square Garden, regardless of what happens in the event's early round.

FIU is slated to host subregional games on Nov. 20, 21 and 23 at its on-campus arena, with James Madison, Murray State and North Carolina Central coming in for round-robin play. The other subregional for teams not going to Madison Square Garden is at Albany, where the Great Danes of the America East will host Robert Morris, Detroit and Alcorn State.

Ohio State will play Alcorn State on Nov. 9, in the slot FIU wants. A preseason publication that has been on the Buckeyes' athletic Web site for several weeks did make reference to playing FIU on that date.

Garcia said if necessary the Golden Panthers would look for other teams to fill the hole in their schedule.

"We will not be bullied into a unilateral decision to play North Carolina after we already agreed to play Ohio State," Garcia said.

Sandra

And the soap opera begins. North Carolina...how delicious is this irony! Too bad anders is on vacation....

Florida International will pull out of the Coaches vs. Cancer Tournament unless tournament organizers allow FIU to open with Ohio State instead of North Carolina, as the Golden Panthers had expected.

FIU officials were equal parts incensed and stunned when they received an e-mailed press release of the Tar Heels' schedule, listing Florida International as the season opener. Athletic director Pete Garcia said the school had been approached by the Gazelle Group, the tourney organizers, about switching its opener from the Buckeyes to the defending national champions but refused.

"We knew nothing about this until the press release from North Carolina today," Garcia said. "We told them last week we would not change the game and had never agreed to this."

Gazelle Group president Rick Giles said that he has a contract, signed by Garcia, which stipulates that FIU would play either Ohio State or North Carolina, leaving the choice at the discretion of the Gazelle Group. He said that is the way his company has written contracts for 15 years and fully expects the school to honor its agreement.

"I would be stunned if Isiah Thomas' first act as a head coach was to break a contract," Giles said, although Thomas pointed out that the contract, signed in November 2008, was agreed upon before he arrived at FIU.

Florida International contends that though the original contract offered an either/or option, the school had agreed to open its season with Ohio State and had gone so far as to publicize that information. In an August AP report, new head coach Thomas is quoted about the opener with the Buckeyes.

"Big Ten country," he said. "If at some point and time you're going to be able to compete with the big boys, you might as well jump right into the fire and get started."

Thomas said he was completely caught off-guard by the switch.

"I had no idea," he said. "No one contacted me, our athletic director, no one. Maybe in 2010, 2011 we can play North Carolina, but not this year."

Steve Kirschner, North Carolina's associate athletic director for athletic communications, said: "We will play whoever they tell us to play.''

Kirschner said UNC contacted the Gazelle Group because there had been some discussion about the Tar Heels' opening opponent and questioned whether the schedule should read, "TBD.'' But the Gazelle Group told them to go ahead and release the opener as Florida International.

The tournament format calls for four preselected hosts -- Ohio State, North Carolina, California and Syracuse -- automatically advancing to the semifinals at Madison Square Garden, regardless of what happens in the event's early round.

FIU is slated to host subregional games on Nov. 20, 21 and 23 at its on-campus arena, with James Madison, Murray State and North Carolina Central coming in for round-robin play. The other subregional for teams not going to Madison Square Garden is at Albany, where the Great Danes of the America East will host Robert Morris, Detroit and Alcorn State.

Ohio State will play Alcorn State on Nov. 9, in the slot FIU wants. A preseason publication that has been on the Buckeyes' athletic Web site for several weeks did make reference to playing FIU on that date.

Garcia said if necessary the Golden Panthers would look for other teams to fill the hole in their schedule.

"We will not be bullied into a unilateral decision to play North Carolina after we already agreed to play Ohio State," Garcia said.

Sandra

....AS the Golden Panthers EXPECTED and were told...YES, they did sign a contract to play "either/or" MONTHS ago. But then told they WILL be playing Ohio State....to be then changed to to North Carolina. I am willing to bet that IF they stated that they were to be playing UNC INITIALLY...then there would be no complaints. But that was not the case...1st is was "either/or", then it was Ohio State...now the have changed their minds(the folks who run the tournament) and wanted to give them North Carolina. ANY college that is starting their program would have done the same.

....AS the Golden Panthers EXPECTED and were told...YES, they did sign a contract to play "either/or" MONTHS ago. But then told they WILL be playing Ohio State....to be then changed to to North Carolina. I am willing to bet that IF they stated that they were to be playing UNC INITIALLY...then there would be no complaints. But that was not the case...1st is was "either/or", then it was Ohio State...now the have changed their minds(the folks who run the tournament) and wanted to give them North Carolina. ANY college that is starting their program would have done the same.

Doesn't matter who they play. FIU will get slaughtered by both tOSU and UNC.

Whatever, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you. I really don't care who they play, actually. That's not the point. This kind of thing probably happens a lot, and it's handled behind the scenes. But not this time. :D

It's just funny that the drama is already starting. It started the same way with the Knicks...little things...;)

Sandra

Last edited:
Whatever, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you. I really don't care who they play, actually. That's not the point. This kind of thing probably happens a lot, and it's handled behind the scenes. But not this time. :D

It's just funny that the drama is already starting. It started the same way with the Knicks...little things...;)

Sandra

IF YOU were coaching FIU, this would not been an issue. But because Isiah is, this has become a story. Don't know why....this scheduling conflict happens.

IF YOU were coaching FIU, this would not been an issue. But because Isiah is, this has become a story. Don't know why....this scheduling conflict happens.

It probably happens all the time. And it gets resolved behind the scenes. But not this time, this time it's a national story. As I said, the drama started small with the Knicks too. ;)

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)