ISS sighting opportunities

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Even brighter than the ISS, and if I remember right, even brighter than the moon, are the Iridium Flares. Those things are really neat.

I've seen the ISS a few times, very cool to witness, but I've also been lucky enough to see 2 iridium flares... and you are right, they are what I would consider insanely bright. Almost looks like the sky ripped open for a second.

Back to ISS ham transmissions.
I just saw a not on the Amsat mailing list saying that they were in
SSTV mode, at least over Europe. May or may not be in that mode by the time it gets over the US. I think it's on the same freq as the packet, but it's been a long time. I used to do the SSTV on the MIR space station, but only did the ISS version once, and it was only a static picture at that time, so I don't know what this might be. Back when they had SSTV on MIR, they had it looking out the window aimed at the earth, so you could get all sorts of neat views with the solar panels in the view. I don't even have my scanner set up to do SSTV right now, and am too busy with other things to bother with unless I hear that there are live views being broadcast.
But if you're listening to the packet freq, and hear a musical warbling sound, then that's the SSTV signal. If you record it, you can feed it back through the SSTV software to post process the pictures.

Edit: Oh, and relative to that freq I posted that the astronauts use, that is usually used on passes that are visible from Houston, and they're talking to people in Houston. You'll also hear the Russian cosmonauts talking to Russians in Houston too occasionally, and you can hear things going on in the background on the ISS. While the ham freqs are relatively narrow band, where a 5 KHz bandwidth receiver works best, the freq I mentioned above has a wider bandwidth, and a regular scanner with 15 khz bandwidth actually works better than a ham rig. At least that's the way it used to be. I haven't checked these things out on the ham rig for years.

Last edited:
12:45 EST
Listening to strong SST signal on 145.80. THey're on voice talking to some school. But the packet is still sending out it's ID occasionally. Generally when talking to schools, I think the uplink freq is changed, but the downlink is kept the same.

Well what was forecast a clear sky was overcast, thunderstorm and rain. No SSTV, voice or packet downlink.
My next good visual Feb 5th 5.14 am EET -2.3 magnitude. I hate morning!

The weather did not cooperate here in SW Florida, a really good visual pass for this location right along the coastline over the Gulf of Mexico. Coming over the US right over Tallahassee Florida. Overcast skies, and no visual, and no packets. I keep on trying.
Mike Lib

Bringing this thread back from the dead...
Last week I was camping in Capitol Reef National Park in Utah and had the chance to see several Iridium flares as well as the ISS and various other unidentified satellites fly by. Unfortunately, the full moon prevented us from seeing some things as brightly as I would have liked. I think the brightest flare we saw was a -6. Attached is a pic that we took of one of the flares (I don't have the details of which specific satellite and time it was taken, but I can look it up if anyone is interested). It was awesome to watch. This pic was a 30 sec exposure, f/3.2, 50mm.

attachment.php

IMG_1825.jpg

Another (Better) Flare Pic and one of the ISS

The ISS is pretty dim in the pic, but is cool to see live. I also added a picture of Goblin Valley just because it looks cool. These are relatively large pics. Shouldn't be a problem for broadband but might take a minute on slower connections.
IMG_2151_sized.jpg
IMG_2120_sized.jpg
IMG_1517_sized.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)