Issues With 4156H 5790 ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi all,

Is anyone else having issues with this transponder ?
I cant seem to get a steady signal and the picture just drops out all together at times.
All other transponders on this satellite coming in very strong for me.
Thanks in advance.

John

Hi all,

Is anyone else having issues with this transponder ?
I cant seem to get a steady signal and the picture just drops out all together at times.
All other transponders on this satellite coming in very strong for me.
Thanks in advance.

John
I'd might check it out for you,if I knew where to look :wink

Reactions: JFOK
99W, that's the Caribbean mux location.

And JFOK some older receivers have major problems with those channels and have now for a year or more. Neither my S9 nor my Micro HD will play that video.

Try changing the TP to 4159 and see if that will work better for ya.

Oh, and there's already a long thread on here about this.

Just saying.................

JFOK, i thought i would check for you as well. Haven't been here (on this sat) in awhile and was not in my receiver, so did a fresh scan on my Edision OS Mio+ 4K. Transponder Scan first, then for channels, for me it comes in at 4155 H 5790 and FEC came up as Auto on my TP Scan but shows as 4/5 once scanned in. Its DVB-S2-QPSK. My SNR is 10.8 dB on a 10 FT Winegard. All 3 channels playing fine. I am in the middle of Michigan. Hope this helps.

Hi Casey,

Thanks for your response.
I tried adjusting the numbers to what Lone Gunman suggested, but it didn’t help.
The picture goes from 10.6 dB and a decent picture then drops to 0dB.
Like I said earlier, all other transponders are coming in strong. I even rescanned this transponder and did a restart, but still have the issue.

John

Is this TP coming in at the same db level as 4156? And are you seeing the same dropout from good to 0 dB when watching one of these channels?

4140 V
DVB-S2
8PSK
31458-3/4

Casey,

Its coming in with a steady 12.0dB, with occasional pixillation.
We haven’t had any wind strong enough to have blown the dish off “center.”
Again…Tuesday night I had no issues with the Caribbean mux.

John

OK. Both those TP's are DVB-S2. I think almost everything else on this sat is DVB-S. So at 11.8dB on 4156 with total dropout at times, and 12.0 on 4140 V and some pixellation at times, so i think it is a lower signal issue. DVB-S2 signals are weaker than DVB-S of course. So makes sense everything else works fine since they are DVB-S. When this happens to me, it usually means i need to check (replace really) my coax connectors, barrell connectors.

But just my best guess. One way or another you need just a little more signal. The 8 Ft is on the edge as far as size for DVB-S2 signals but since it worked before, it should work still, you just need a tad more signal.

Good luck to you!

Casey,

That was my next thought as I’ve had to do this several times before over the years, with similar issues like this. However last summer I cut back about 3 inches from the end of my C Band coax and replaced the coax connection when I had a similar issue to this one, although it was much worse. I didn’t think I’d have to do this again so soon. All my coax connections are wrapped in a vinyl tape that provides good weatherproofing and when the tape was removed last summer, the coax connection was dry.
I’ve never had any issues with my kU connections wrapped in the same vinyl tape.

John

I'm wondering if your lack of reception issue may be some recently activated 5G in your area. You mentioned that another tp on that sat has a steady 12dB but also exhibits occasional pixelation. If it is 5G interference it may not be near enough or strong enough to competely take out everything but might mess with certain frequencies enough that the receiver can't keep a lock?

Reactions: Lone Gunman
FTA4PA,

I assumed 5g affected the lower frequencies and that 4156 would be “safe” from such interference.
I will recheck my connections and confirm that my dish hasn’t moved any.
I watch the Caribbean NBC station at night for the news and it would suck if I lost my last opportunity to view NBC on my dish.
I wonder if Titanium’s LNBF with the 5g filter would help ??

John

Last edited:
FTA4PA,

I assumed 5g affected the lower frequencies and that 4156 would be “safe” from such interference.
I will recheck my connections and confirm that my dish hasn’t moved any.
I watch the Caribbean NBC station at night for the news and it would suck if I lost my last opportunity to view NBC on my dish.
I wonder if Titanium’s LNBF with the 5g filter would help ??

John

That was my early assumption as well as there is even a small guard band between the cellular 5G frequencies and the satellite reception frequencies. Apparently though it is not that simple. We are rural here and have not experienced any issues (so far) but I have seen some members post about interference with their satellite reception after 5G came to their area.

Guess it all boils down to cellular signals being much stronger than our received satellite signals so they can interfere with our reception if the proper distance, frequency, location and size/quality of dish all factor in to our disadvantage.

So, after all that, it may be new 5G interference or it may not. Just throwing it out there as a possible option to look into. I would definitely eliminate all other possibilities first before investing in any new interference limiting equipment though. Let us know your progress and good luck John! :)

P.S. Here is an article that shows the ability of 'out of band' interference from a cellular signal to affect a higher frequency satellite signal. Sadly, I expect more of this as 5G expands. :(

FTA4PA,

The more I think about it, the more I think it may very well be 5g interference.
Last time I had to redo the coax connections (last summer) almost every transponder, every satellite was showing some pixilation.
Now its just the DVB-S2 signals. All others are strong and steady.
Like I said several times, this just happened this past Tuesday. With no storminess to blame.
I will recheck all connections, but I’m beginning to think I may have to replace the lnbf.

John.

FTA4PA,

The more I think about it, the more I think it may very well be 5g interference.
Last time I had to redo the coax connections (last summer) almost every transponder, every satellite was showing some pixilation.
Now its just the DVB-S2 signals. All others are strong and steady.
Like I said several times, this just happened this past Tuesday. With no storminess to blame.
I will recheck all connections, but I’m beginning to think I may have to replace the lnbf.

John.

Hopefully you find another cause than 5G while checking everything out. This stuff isn't even completey rolled out yet and it appears to be causing issues for commercial sized dish setups. As a hobbyist with smaller c band dishes it feels like we are all standing on a slippery slope with greased shoes! :( Again, good luck John! :)

FTA4PA,

Well I checked my C Band coax connection and even though it looked good, I cut back about 2 inches and attached a new coax connection.
The result was a minimal improvement, but still having pixilation, loss of signal then a return to 11.8dB on the Caribbean feed. Then the process starts all over again.
Meanwhile the non DVB-S2 signals, 4040H 26400 is coming in with 13.4 dB and 4140V 31458 is coming in at 12.2dB.
Thinking more and more like its 5g interference. I’m going to check the lnbf to make sure its still centered correctly and if it is, then 5g is most likely the cause.
Also, I just discovered that cell equipment has been recently installed on a nearby water tower.

John

• Sad
Reactions: FTA4PA
FTA4PA,

Well I checked my C Band coax connection and even though it looked good, I cut back about 2 inches and attached a new coax connection.
The result was a minimal improvement, but still having pixilation, loss of signal then a return to 11.8dB on the Caribbean feed. Then the process starts all over again.
Meanwhile the non DVB-S2 signals, 4040H 26400 is coming in with 13.4 dB and 4140V 31458 is coming in at 12.2dB.
Thinking more and more like its 5g interference. I’m going to check the lnbf to make sure its still centered correctly and if it is, then 5g is most likely the cause.
Also, I just discovered that cell equipment has been recently installed on a nearby water tower.

John

I was really hoping you would find another cause. :(

FTA4PA,

I was hoping for a different outcome also, but the C Band connection is tight and moisture free. The LNBF is also perfectly centered and the dish hasn’t been twisted from its prime position.
The pixillation appears almost like a radar sweep, taking the strong signal away every 10-15 seconds, then returning it a few seconds later.
Guess its time for a filtered LNBF from Titanium….hello Brian. ; )

John

Hi everyone, I live in barbados in the Caribbean and that 4156 on 99w has always given trouble. I check it everyday and it fluctuate terribly and I'm using a perfect 12 dish