It's Official - VOOM ON DISH NETWORK!

O.K guys. I haven't had time to read this whole thread, so if I am repeating I am sorry.We just got the announcement from team summit from the boss man that the package is not in fact 10 channels, but 14 channels. Here is the line up.

RUSH
world sports
gallery
auction
rave
the lab
ultra
equator
monsters
family room
animania
majestic
and 2 more movie channels

And now I only have one question. How many of you that went to D* for all thier HD content are going to cancel and go to E*?

WOW, the HD DVR is free.......................................Hot Damn...Thats great news thanks.

I'm waiting for the dust to settle and see if my cable company will add them too. I also have the condo association issue pending to see if I can get approval for dishes to be installed. If adelphia doesn't start carrying them and if I am allowed to install a dish, I'll be switching to dishnet.

you never know stargazer.........

With their support coming from Echostar for 10 of their channels and their other 11 channels starting next year, we might be in for a few surprises from Rainbow Media with newer programming that was slated to come out on Voom, but never made it. Since Cablevision has found that their gift is in programming and selling cable and not in the satellite industry, they might be looking to their programming department to come up with ideas on expanding their HD line-up. Imagine having 30 or more channels of Voom! That would be awesome!

Dvlos said:
HDR DVR is $250 to start the least and then you own it after a year right? Yeesh.

I don't think you own it after a year, but if the move to MPEG4 takes place and the 942 can't be upgraded then why would one want to have paid $699 (or $499 or even $399) if it was worthless within a year or 18 months?

$250 seems reasonable to me given that the forseeable horizon for its use is so short.

CDH.

lostcause said:
I'm waiting for the dust to settle and see if my cable company will add them too. I also have the condo association issue pending to see if I can get approval for dishes to be installed. If adelphia doesn't start carrying them and if I am allowed to install a dish, I'll be switching to dishnet.

Well since your cable company did not buy the satellite or the uplink center I highly doubt it. And as far as the condo assc. goes that is another problem, however, if you are buying your condo there is nothing that they can do to keep you from getting broadcast television based on FCC law. Might want to check that out.

I am still with D and have been for many years and I had voom But after all of this, I call D this morning and ask what was going on and when do we get more HD and of course its always the same we have more on the way , but I was able to get the HD pack for free for 6 months because of this , not that it makes up for it but I am going to wait until after the 1st and see whats going on.

BFG said:
With an off air antenna, just like voom did

Which brings up another question. I upgraded my OTA antenna to an amplified one. I'm using a multi-switch with Voom which combines both the sat and OTA into one line for each receiver (the multi-switch also passes 12V to my amp obviously).

Is that same setup possible with Dish HD receivers or will I have to run separate lines for the antenna?

AxE, adelphia didn't buy the sat or the uplink center, but cablevision still owns the programming and since apparently the deal with echo isn't exclusive, I'd expect other companies to start trying to carry those channels too. This is HUGE for dishnet right now. They are able to compete with directv volume-wise, and can now say that without a doubt they are the leaders in HD. I don't think cable companies are just going to sit by and not try to compete.

As for the fcc and my condo board, I know all about the fcc rules. It's not the fcc rules that are in question though. The FCC rules don't allow you to mount a dish on a common area if your patio doesn't face the right direction. I started a thread about my problem in the general satellite section of this forum. Check it out if you want. I need all the ideas I can get.

For all my bluster about not going back to anyone and just watching OTA... Well it was all hot air, as soon as my wife pointed out that the Marlins games are only on the Sunshine Network..... I signed back up with Dish Network yesterday and reconnected my non HD BR TV DishNet STB. (thats a mouthful of Abbrv.)

Now this news! It seems I chose Wisely (I took the LAZY option actually, I didn't feel liek waiting for anymore goddamn installers form anyone else!

would be nice if e would let ex voom subs get just the hd channels (don't have the line of sight for their other birds) wonder if they would consider this?

AxE said:
O.K guys. I haven't had time to read this whole thread, so if I am repeating I am sorry.We just got the announcement from team summit from the boss man that the package is not in fact 10 channels, but 14 channels. Here is the line up.

RUSH
world sports
gallery
auction
rave
the lab
ultra
equator
monsters
family room
animania
majestic

And now I only have one question. How many of you that went to D* for all thier HD content are going to cancel and go to E*?

I've had DirecTV the whole time I've had Voom, and will be more than happy to drop DirecTV for Dish. Even for those who keep D*, this move by E* may jolt them out of their complacency. D* needs to get off its ass and announce something more than just LIL HD. That is truly underwhelming for many of us who can get them OTA and just shows that they only care about competing with cable and not being any kind of leader in HD selection.

So, yeah, I'll be cancelling D* as soon as some of the information is finalized. I kept them for the NFL package, but am much more concerned about HD.

smeagal said:
would be nice if e would let ex voom subs get just the hd channels (don't have the line of sight for their other birds) wonder if they would consider this?

E* does allow you to do that, costs you a $5/month fee to not have an AT package. O now have just HD, Distants nets, supers, & Sports pack.

AxE said:

RUSH
world sports
gallery
auction
rave
the lab
ultra
equator
monsters
family room
animania
majestic

I thought HDN News was one of the channels ?

I wonder why HD NEWS?????? It is the worst HD Channel voOm has!!!! It takes you 10 mins to watch it and you seen it all for the next few hours!!!!

Dog6869 said:
I wonder why HD NEWS?????? It is the worst HD Channel voOm has!!!! It takes you 10 mins to watch it and you seen it all for the next few hours!!!!
While this is true... I like HDNews. I catch the 10-15 minute loop before I head to work every morning. I expect they'll get better with the much larger subscriber base over at E*.

smeagal said:

I have exactly the same problem. No LOS for 110/etc. I may just go with the HD pack but I will miss out on feeds that come from the other birds.

vader said:
I have exactly the same problem. No LOS for 110/etc. I may just go with the HD pack but I will miss out on feeds that come from the other birds.
You might want to rethink that plan. E* is going to migrate all the HD to 110/119/129 at some point, leaving 61.5 just for Locals.

mdonnelly said:
You might want to rethink that plan. E* is going to migrate all the HD to 110/119/129 at some point, leaving 61.5 just for Locals.

Wel,, then I would have to go and start cutting my neighbor's trees or install 60 ft pole. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)