It's yours

Whoopee. I'm waiting on my letter from Voom. It will be interesting to see what they say. If they continue to offer warranty service on the boxes, I will concede my argument is probably moot and drop it.

-MP

Watch out for some of those auctions on Ebay.....

I just checked out the auctions and most of them are for receivers that are in new condition. Stay away from these auctions because you'll be getting a receiver that hasn't been activated. Make sure you check with the seller and see what information they have listed on their auction. Most of them put the same information and you can tell that they don't really know anything about them or don't care. I also noticed that some are calling them OTA tuners now instead of satellite receivers. Maybe that's because they were informed that there was no service and that they are simply changing their wording to lure people into buying their crap. There's only one auction I would feel comfortable with on bidding for the receiver because the guy actually states that he was able to watch his locals. Before you bid on any auction, make sure the box is still active and make sure that the firmware is up to date.

These guys are SCAM ARTISTS! They attempt to disclaim any liability for their fraudulent sale by claiming, "I have no idea if it will work" when in fact they are 100% certain that any not-authorized or de-authorized receiver will not work. Send them an e-mail advising them of the policy and tell them to update their auction or be reported to e-Bay: "For Sale Useless VOOM Receiver that WILL NEVER Receive OTA."

I am holding onto mine. The OTA still works! I tempted fate until this morning when I finally disconnected the satellite coax from the multiswitch.

I still think its nice of em to let us keep the leased ones and that their leaving OTA enabled on em. I know some want nothing more to do with Voom but at same time free OTA tuners vs $200+ to buy a OTA ATSC tuner retail is kind of hard to hate, at least for me. :D

bratboy said:
I still think its nice of em to let us keep the leased ones and that their leaving OTA enabled on em. I know some want nothing more to do with Voom but at same time free OTA tuners vs $200+ to buy a OTA ATSC tuner retail is kind of hard to hate, at least for me. :D
It's a very nice gesture, but I just realized that I'll have nine (9) 8-VSB tuners after my dish receivers are installed this week...I own 6. I'm giving two away and keeping the other for sentimental reasons.

lilyarbie said:
I just checked out the auctions and most of them are for receivers that are in new condition. Stay away from these auctions because you'll be getting a receiver that hasn't been activated. Make sure you check with the seller and see what information they have listed on their auction. Most of them put the same information and you can tell that they don't really know anything about them or don't care. I also noticed that some are calling them OTA tuners now instead of satellite receivers. Maybe that's because they were informed that there was no service and that they are simply changing their wording to lure people into buying their crap. There's only one auction I would feel comfortable with on bidding for the receiver because the guy actually states that he was able to watch his locals. Before you bid on any auction, make sure the box is still active and make sure that the firmware is up to date.

I wouldn't trust the sellers word that he is able to view locals using the OTA tuner either. Is the seller guarentee that OTA will work??

I will sell both of mine when I get the letter from Voom/cablevision. For an OTA tuner its a ridiculously big box.

This is great news!

I had TWC installed over the weekend and compared the local channel HD PQ from cable with the PQ from the Voom receiver. The picture was clearly better with the Voom receiver, quite significantly in fact. This will give me the option of using the Voom receiver instead for local HD. Plus, I will be able to use the Voom receiver as backup during cable outages.

The guy on the auction I was referring to......

The guy I was referring to states that he got 3 working receivers from a guy that left Voom for Dish Network. He states that the one receiver he is selling still works for OTA channels in San Diego, California. That's more words than what the other 95% auctions on the receivers can tell you.

I have 2 boxes, I got one in Feb 05 and the other in March 05. I unplugged them both on the 20th of April when I switched to E*. Does this mean they are OK to sell and they will still work for OTA? Thanks

nanaberry said:
I have 2 boxes, I got one in Feb 05 and the other in March 05. I unplugged them both on the 20th of April when I switched to E*. Does this mean they are OK to sell and they will still work for OTA? Thanks

I would think that before you sold something, you would hook it up yourself to make sure it works?

Lob

When I sold my 2 to a fellow Satguys member, I included a promise that OTA will function for 2 months. If it doesn't, I'll take them back. Beyond 2 months, I wash my hands of Voom and their boxes.

I just called Voom and was informed that they are ours to keep. So I pursued the question a liitle further and was informed that the ota would expire and not work anymore after the end of the month. So I argued with them stating that to dispose of these properly generally there is a fee involved and that why should I be resposible for the fee. She said that is not their problem. Just wanted to inform about what they had said to me.

justalurker said:
But what about purchased receivers? There was "no word" on those yet. :D

JL

I heard you must return them to Voom along with a $20.00 processing fee.

I just got back from a trip and the receiver connected to my HDTV is no longer functioning. :shocked It won't even turn on at all - totally dead. My second receiver in the bedroom is still functioning fine for OTA. Both are leased units. What else could cause the box to go totally dead and is there some way to perform a soft reset or warm boot on it?

a reboot might work.....

Try unplugging the receiver first. After unplugging, the receiver will usually reboot on its own. You could also try a different way of rebooting by pressing and holding in the power button until the orange lights on the right of the receiver began to roll down. A screen should appear on your television with the Voom logo and should say something like loading please wait. Then, it should go directly to channel 100. Simply hit the channel button backwards to go to your first mapped local channel. It should show a picture if it is still active.

Every once in a while the receiver will power itself off after a reboot, try pressing the SAT button after you reboot if you still have no power. Also, if you do have any lights on the receiver, red or green, try cyclying thru your resolutions via the red button behind the Motorola door on the box. I'm goin to work, if you need any more help with that someone here should be able to walk you thru it. Good Luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts